• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

June 24 DEO Pilot Selection

NLockhart

Inactive
Reaction score
Just thought I would start a post so we can share any info on today's DEO pilot selection.

Has anyone heard approx. how many are on the merit list?

Also getting the air factor results has been taking longer than usual for some. Has anyone been told there is a possibility of getting a conditional, non-official offer?

Thought I was the only one having an additional glass tonight. 

I don't suspect there will be news for a few days if not weeks at the earliest. The amount of candidates on the merit list shouldn't really be your concern, but where you rank on said list :)  I have heard that they did not have nearly the same amount of pilot candidates as they did last year due to ACSC and other processes but that could very well have changed.

I was told the call would be a direct offer - when BMOQs are set. They do not want people getting the call then sitting around for 6 months .

This information was provided to me directly from my CFRC.  So far they have been providing nothing but great information.

I wish you all the best of luck. 

skyhigh10 said:
Thought I was the only one having an additional glass tonight. 

I don't suspect there will be news for a few days if not weeks at the earliest. The amount of candidates on the merit list shouldn't really be your concern, but where you rank on said list :)  I have heard that they did not have nearly the same amount of pilot candidates as they did last year due to ACSC and other processes but that could very well have changed.

I was told the call would be a direct offer - when BMOQs are set. They do not want people getting the call then sitting around for 6 months .

This information was provided to me directly from my CFRC.  So far they have been providing nothing but great information.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. I've heard similar info as well. The amount on the merit list is actually important especially compared to the number of positions remaining because it will indicate the boards motivation to work with the candidates who have been dealing with DRDC taking longer than normal to get them their air factor. If 200 people were merit listed and only 70 spots remained then I would expect much less flexibility. Last year the merit list was smaller than the remaining positions so many candidates got conditional offers as long as their air factor came in clean so that is what I mean by a conditional offer. I've heard that this year the merit list is smaller than positions remaining again but I was just looking for confirmation. So both where I sit on the list and how many people are on the list are my concern.

Good luck to you as well

skyhigh10 said:
Nearest BMOQ are already set - August,26,2013 and September,30,2013

Good luck to everyone. I haven't heard anything out west here yet.

When did you guys here that there were more spots then people on the merit list? I was told by someone at my CFRC that there were 300+ on the merit list for DEO. I hope your recruiter is right however! LOL.

Teach17 said:
Good luck to everyone. I haven't heard anything out west here yet.

When did you guys here that there were more spots then people on the merit list? I was told by someone at my CFRC that there were 300+ on the merit list for DEO. I hope your recruiter is right however! LOL.

Thanks Teach17. Where out west are you? My CFRC is Calgary which will be closed for the next little while due to the floods.

My file manager didn't give a number but said he was very doubtful that the all the remaining DEO positions, which he said is 70, would be filled this selection. Maybe it had something to do with the last selection only being a few months ago and low pass rates at ACS or something. The list could be large but that could  mean a lot of those merit listed people have been merit listed over multiple selection boards which might imply something about their competitiveness. It's pure speculation at this point but hey what else are we supposed to do while we wait?

Where are you guys getting BMQ and BMOQ dates from? I'm looking here and nothing past July is listed.  http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/cfc-ecc/dc-cd/index-eng.asp

Thanks

kevincanada said:
Where are you guys getting BMQ and BMOQ dates from? I'm looking here and nothing past July is listed.  http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/cfc-ecc/dc-cd/index-eng.asp

Thanks

That site won't have dates until the offers are made. Those dates are given to us from file managers and Military Career Counselor.

NLockhart said:
Thanks Teach17. Where out west are you? My CFRC is Calgary which will be closed for the next little while due to the floods.

My file manager didn't give a number but said he was very doubtful that the all the remaining DEO positions, which he said is 70, would be filled this selection. Maybe it had something to do with the last selection only being a few months ago and low pass rates at ACS or something. The list could be large but that could  mean a lot of those merit listed people have been merit listed over multiple selection boards which might imply something about their competitiveness. It's pure speculation at this point but hey what else are we supposed to do while we wait?

I am out of CFRC Edmonton. I also doubt they would fill all 70 spots at once for a couple reasons.

1) There are limited spots available for BMOQ in any given platoon and it would not make sense to fill them with only one trade.

2) The pilot pipeline can only handle so many recruits at a given time on Phase I/Phase II

I am sure that there are people on the list that have gone through several selections. I have been merit listed since the end of January. They have only taken 15 DEO pilots from the last selection in February, that was the only one since I was merit listed. I am hoping for a better result this time around.

Anyway you look at it I am sure there are lots of guys on the list. The way I see it is they run selection courses in Trenton on a weekly basis (with the exception of short weeks, holidays, etc) so lets say they run 40 a year (give or take some) with lets say an average of 10 guys a week. So that's 400 total, with about a 30-35% success rate so lets say you end up with 120 guys making it through per calendar year on the low end. Not all will be DEO of course but some will, plus the guys that were on the list previous as long as they keep there interview/medical current and can always improve their scores by updating their files.

At the end of the day it seems pretty much impossible to speculate. I figure on average a guy would have about a 1/3 chance of getting an offer if they pass everything.

When I went to ASC there were 12 of us I believe, and 5 passed. Two were CEOTP guys (both got offers) one was a component transfer (he got an offer) and there were 2 of us that were DEO and we are both still waiting. All the guys that I heard of that got offers on here went to ASC before myself, so I am not too sure if there is a "point cutoff" and it goes in some sort of chronological order or if it truly is a rank 1-last and take the top "x" number of guys. Hard to say, a lot of speculation as you previously mentioned, lol.

Happy waiting!

Teach

If there were 300+ on the merit list I can't see them spending 10-20k each week to run multiple ASC's.  From reading various thread's it seems the ASC was shut down for a while and the trade closed for a couple years, which would effectively clear out a large chunk of the pool.

The last pilot selection in Jan/Feb was the last of the fiscal year, so they may have only selected 15 to fill the remaining spots. Whether the spots remaining were there because there weren't enough applicants to fill them, or they needed to space the selections out due to BMOQ availability is the question..

bulldog24 said:
If there were 300+ on the merit list I can't see them spending 10-20k each week to run multiple ASC's.  From reading various thread's it seems the ASC was shut down for a while and the trade closed for a couple years, which would effectively clear out a large chunk of the pool.

The last pilot selection in Jan/Feb was the last of the fiscal year, so they may have only selected 15 to fill the remaining spots. Whether the spots remaining were there because there weren't enough applicants to fill them, or they needed to space the selections out due to BMOQ availability is the question..

From my understanding, the merit list is dynamic and changes daily and from what I've heard it is ranked on each candidates composite score from highest to lowest. So there maybe a decent sized merit list, probably not 300, but ultimately it comes down to your position on the list like Skyhigh pointed out earlier. So in response to Teach17, I don't it's fair to say everyone has an average of 1/3 chance of getting an offer once on the merit list because of constant fresh competition. It's probably near incalculable.

Since last selection there has only been 3 months to run ACS and that's including all of June which is unrealistic to expect someone on ACS last week is making this selection. But lets say you count all the weeks with 5 people per week getting merit listed its only 60 people. To have a merit list of over 300 is say that there was already 240 merit listed from the previous FY's. Its possible I guess but seems far fetched.

My knowledge on this is limited but the people in charge of flight training are not connected to the recruiting process or board selection and may not have that much understanding of what phase 1 and 2 look like. If there is too many pilots for the training system then that's what OJT is for and isn't the concern of the selection board. Something like BMOQ spots remaining probably is like Teach pointed out.

Anyways, good points by all so far. I find the waiting to be hard and this helps even if we are all just making it all up.

Ps. I meant that the recruiters and board may not know what is going on with flight training

Good points NLockhart.

By the 1/3 chance I was simply implying there may be 70 spots left and 200+ ish people on the list. Definitely your experience and performance will dictate how competitive you are and it is not as simple as drawing names at random.

The merit list is not based on any given FY, only the target number of positions they wish to hire. Once merit listed and qualified you can remain on the list for as long as you keep your file active and up to date so it is possible to have a large number.

I know a few pilots in the CF at the moment, some trade qualified and others in the training system. There experiences on getting offers after being merit listed vary greatly from one guy being selected less than a month after finishing ASC to one guy waiting over a year to get an offer. So it really is quite impossible to speculate.

Nope quiet over here in Edmonton. If I remember correctly my file manager told me that the news travels through Calgary before it gets to them, so if Calgary is still bailing water out of their office it might be sometime before word reaches here!

I haven't heard anything yet but I may not be the best person to ask because right when I was supposed to get my air factor/merit list my CFRC (calgary) was flooded so there's a good chance I didn't make the merit list in time and there is no one I can contact to confirm or deny that.

the tickler said:
Has anyone heard yet?!

Word is still being distributed to recruiting centres .... give them at least two weeks.

They don't have a pilot hiring hotline. 

skyhigh10 said:
They don't have a pilot hiring hotline. 

Haha I figured it would take a while, just saw on an old thread people were getting calls within two days of the selection date.

the tickler said:
Haha I figured it would take a while, just saw on an old thread people were getting calls within two days of the selection date.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of standard for the time frame. I have been offered MARS and AEC positions the past two selections. My MARS offer cam about two days after the selection date and AEC was almost three weeks after. Hoping that the 3rd times the charm!

First time will be the charm for me!  I got three "First Choices": Pilot, AEC and ACSO. Given how much I love my current job, I'll jump in happily whatever they offer! Lol!

... nervously/impatiently waiting since Monday...

'Greg.

Back