• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jtrans Artillery Questions- Merged

GnyHwy said:
Interesting you say that.  A lot of older fellows would say we are better off with markers and talc.  I am not one of those older fellows.

Dont get me wrong, there is value in Jr Officers and NCMs learning to do MAPS and to battle track via map and talc. Learning map symbols, for instance, by doing map and talc requires one to actually know what the symbol is. Using battleview (if it works) or falconview is simply a matter of finding the symbol.  However, once past a basic level we need to trust the electronic systems provided. IFCCS works extremely well and so do most SA systems.

From an IG perspective we should continue to train older systems and introduce the electronics so that once the young officers and NCMs hit the Regiments they can carry on with the electronic way ahead.

GnyHwy said:
Interesting you say that.  A lot of older fellows would say we are better off with markers and talc.  I am not one of those older fellows.

I'm an old guy who started on arty boards, went to plotters and, hell, I even fired of check maps and CP&FC graphs for practice (and don't get me started on using slide rules, log books and tellurometers for survey). I was there when we started transitioning to computers (was involved in 2 RCHA's FACE and GACS trials) and I think I can safely say that any old guys that thought we were better off with map and talc are all dead now.

That said, as a major user of computers these days, I know that from time to time the system can crap out and you have to have reliable backups. Those should include a manual system which should have an acceptable level of accuracy, should be readily available and personnel should have training in their use. I hope that in fact the gun lines these days have that available.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
I'm an old guy who started on arty boards, went to plotters and, hell, I even fired of check maps and CP&FC graphs for practice (and don't get me started on using slide rules, log books and tellurometers for survey). I was there when we started transitioning to computers (was involved in 2 RCHA's FACE and GACS trials) and I think I can safely say that any old guys that thought we were better off with map and talc are all dead now.

That said, as a major user of computers these days, I know that from time to time the system can crap out and you have to have reliable backups. Those should include a manual system which should have an acceptable level of accuracy, should be readily available and personnel should have training in their use. I hope that in fact the gun lines these days have that available.

FJAG,

Not to worry- MAPS is very well and alive in the arty training system. Officers learn basic missions while NCMs still do all the mission types with MAPS on the Gun area technical supervisor course.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
FJAG,

Not to worry- MAPS is very well and alive in the arty training system. Officers learn basic missions while NCMs still do all the mission types with MAPS on the Gun area technical supervisor course.

Okay.

To just show my age again - I presume MAPS is an acronym for something. What exactly is it?

???

FJAG said:
Okay.

To just show my age again - I presume MAPS is an acronym for something. What exactly is it?

???

Manual Artillery Plotting System (MAPS). Basically the new term for the older calculations. After having done it, as a long time air defender, I certainly respect the abilities of pers who could punch these missions out in minutes.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Dont get me wrong, there is value in Jr Officers and NCMs learning to do MAPS and to battle track via map and talc. Learning map symbols, for instance, by doing map and talc requires one to actually know what the symbol is. Using battleview (if it works) or falconview is simply a matter of finding the symbol.  However, once past a basic level we need to trust the electronic systems provided. IFCCS works extremely well and so do most SA systems.

From an IG perspective we should continue to train older systems and introduce the electronics so that once the young officers and NCMs hit the Regiments they can carry on with the electronic way ahead.

Agree completely and I think we are doing it right, although it seems to be a constant argument on whether or not we should still do MAPS, or more specifically, to what magnitude.  We continue to add new things to our training plans and develop new TTPs, yet we don't seem to clear our plate of old things at the same time.  Something has to give.

I should have been more specific, but my previous comment about persons preferring talc and markers was directed more towards your comment on SA and computers.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
you can also work within a field artillery Command Post, calculating gun data for firing and keeping situational awareness (with computers now thank goodness!)

There are still plenty of people that are shy are unwilling to lean forward for networked SA.  The Arty and Sigs seem to lean forward more than others, but a large part of the problem is, we are not the main users or the ones who should be deciding what a networked SA system is required to do. 

GnyHwy said:
Agree completely and I think we are doing it right, although it seems to be a constant argument on whether or not we should still do MAPS, or more specifically, to what magnitude.  We continue to add new things to our training plans and develop new TTPs, yet we don't seem to clear our plate of old things at the same time.  Something has to give.

I should have been more specific, but my previous comment about persons preferring talc and markers was directed more towards your comment on SA and computers.

There are still plenty of people that are shy are unwilling to lean forward for networked SA.  The Arty and Sigs seem to lean forward more than others, but a large part of the problem is, we are not the main users or the ones who should be deciding what a networked SA system is required to do. 

I agree with the shyness towards the TDL nets for the gun side. The AD side has been using TDL (blue force track through an EPLRS is just a tactical data link, in this case called the situation awareness data link or SADL) for years and is still in a constant battle over who should run the nets- sigs or arty. My personal belief is that sigs should do it, the arty corps wants arty (AD) guys to do it, but I digress.

I've seen the IFFCS and thought it worked pretty well. That said, almost all of the OP guys I knew at the RCAS hated it and were more focussed on how the system didn't adapt to their TTPs than to finding new ways to do business. The system could be better, granted, but the ability to punch out information and do ammo/mission tracking real time in a RCP and FSCC is an amazing capability for coordination of effects that it's at least worth looking into, IMHO, especially if it could be linked into STA and AD application for deep fires and airspace coordination.

I can currently do about 80 pushups in a minute and 30 sit-ups. I also do a ton of bench dips and arm dips which involves all my body weight. I do this 3 times a week. Would weight training help or it wouldn't be nessessary? I also am running to * For the weight train I would usually do bicep and hammer curls with a 40lbs dumbbell

I can currently do about 80 pushups in a minute and 30 sit-ups. I also do a ton of bench dips and arm dips which involves all my body weight. I do this 3 times a week. I also do bicep and hammer curls with 40lbs dumbbells. Thank you in advance for your help

A few cycles of test might help.............we are talking Artillery after all.

I've only been focusing on the requirements and haven't been dong anything else besides it. I can do 80 pushups in 2 minutes, 30-50 sit-ups, a few chin ups and I can run 2.4 k in about 10 minutes. Right now I am trying to run 5K non stop. Would you say I am ready? What else should I do if not? Thank you in advance

I've only been focusing on the requirements and haven't been dong anything else besides it. I can do 80 pushups in 2 minutes, 30-50 sit-ups, a few chin ups and I can run 2.4 k in about 10 minutes. Right now I am trying to run 5K non stop. Would you say I am ready? What else should I do if not? Thank you in advance

Dear Jtran57

Just in case you were wondering, having a merged thread with one's name in it is not a badge of honour here.

Asking the same question repeatedly is not conducive to success here, either, or in the CF.

You have been advised to use the Search Function before. Do it. It was installed by the Site Owner at great expense, and is one of the reasons why he cannot pay the poor, suffering Directing Staff as much as we would like. It rather miffs us, then, when we see it wasted.

Read more. Post less. You've been on this site long enough to have done at least a little research, but appear to lack either the abiity or motivation, if not both, to do so. It will take more than push-ups or sit-ups to get through Basic Training. Following simple direction and doing one's own work are even more important.

I'm in Grade 11 and want to join the CF as an artillery soldier. I am thinking of going to college for Police Foundations, so I have a backup and then join the CF full time. Or become a reservist while in college and then switch to full time. What is the differencr of basic training for full time and part time? Can I get your input on my plan it would help a lot. Thank you in advance

Didn't get the answers you wanted in this other thread

http://army.ca/forums/threads/115343.0.html

Jtran57=JoeTran...

Back