• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF2 Operators leaving CF to join PMCs

S

SFontaine

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1081475935368_13/?hub=TopStories

JTF 2 members leaving unit to work in Iraq
CTV.ca News Staff

The Canadian military is concerned about a growing number of elite soldiers in the Joint Task Force Two unit who are leaving the Canadian Forces for more lucrative work in private security.

The JTF 2 unit is a highly-trained Special Operations Forces unit that performs counterterrorist missions, hostage rescue operations, and other work in response to national security threats. The unit played a key role in operations last year in Afghanistan.

Their work is highly secretive, so much so that the Canadian Forces won‘t even divulge how many JTF 2 recruits it has. But it would appear their numbers are dwindling.

With the U.S.-led coalition busy with gaining control over insurgency in Iraq, the Pentagon has contracted out the jobs of guarding key installations and training a new Iraqi army to private security companies. The work is plentiful and security companies are in continual need of well-trained bodyguards and security workers.

Hundreds of former special operations soldiers from Britain and the United States have answered the call. Now, many of the JTF 2 team have left the Forces to work for the civilian teams, as well.

It‘s not hard to see why. Private security work in Iraq can be highly lucrative, offering guards compensation of up to $1,000 a day.

"If you can get three times your annual salary in half the time, you are going to take it," explains Alan Bell, of Global Security Risk.

A former British special ops member, Bell runs a security outfit that receives up to eight resumes a day, some from Canada‘s JTF 2 squad. Bell believes that at least 12 to 15 members of JTF 2 have been " actively recruited by some of the organizations providing manpower in Iraq."

The military admits that over the last four years, 15 per cent of the JTF 2 soldiers have left the Forces altogether.

The defections mean more recruiting for the forces and a loss on their training investment.

"Some of these guys are learning their skills over a five to 10-year period, so that expertise is hard to replace," says journalist a journalist, the author of Canada‘s Secret Commandos: The Unauthorized Story of Joint Task Force Two.

So, in order to stem the loss of these highly trained soldiers, the military is taking action. It‘s considering raising pay beyond the current annual salary of $60,000, plus $1,200 a month in danger allowance.

"We recognize that private security firms have highly attractive packages for highly skilled members, like JTF 2," said Navy Lt. Kent Penney of the Department of National Defence.

"But beyond money issue, we‘re also looking at the other factors."

Those other factors include job security, and appealing to the soldiers‘ sense of patriotism, reminding them that the satisfaction that comes from serving one‘s country is something that private security firms simply will never offer.
Don‘t blame em.

"Those other factors include job security, and appealing to the soldiers‘ sense of patriotism, reminding them that the satisfaction that comes from serving one‘s country is something that private security firms simply will never offer."

Lt.Kent Penney had better do a reality check as to his above comment!
It‘s not only the JTF who are leaving but many others because of the lack "PATRIOTISM" our Govenment has given us for many years!
Its a two way street.

I don‘t think the government‘s stance towards national defence would have that much of an effect of JTF members. I mean, they get the first and biggest slice of the budget pie each time. Plus the government wants to increase their numbers giving them more money. Private firms will always be able to outpay the government. Even the US is having a similar problem and they are definately supportive of their special forces community.

Originally posted by Gibson:
[qb] I don‘t think the government‘s stance to wards national defence would have that much of an effect of JD members. I mean, they get the first and biggest slice of the budget pie each time. Plus the government wants to increase their numbers giving them more money. Private firms will always be able to out pay the government. Even the US is having a similar problem and they are definitely supportive of their special forces community. [/qb]
Gibson,its the over all attitude that our respective Governments have displayed to us in the last few years,that has created this pool of men.So I suggest you reserve comment.

By your statement Gibson "they get the first and biggest slice of the budget pie each time" you are basically saying thy get more money then the operating budget of the navy and air force. I don‘t think so.

$1000 a day is good coin but no amount of money is worth the price one has to pay in a hot spot like Fallujah.

Sure it is.

The pay that we get now is pretty darn good. However, this is a recent thing, and many of us are behind the power curve on things like houses, savings, etc. Making enough coin to buy a house in just 6 months is an incredibly attractive opportunity.

Another consideration is the adrenaline rush of danger. I realise that many here may not agree, or even acknowledge the intense rush of exploring your abilities, but for some, it‘s what life is about.

Big bucks and an incredible rush- not for everyone.

Cheers-Garry

Big bucks and an incredible rush- yeah! I love it! It‘s not a life that is limited to only big bucks and an incredible rush though. How about your buddy next to you in pain, and dying? Or observing your buddies head explode into a pink mist? That‘s the part that you can‘t put a price on.

Maybe (but I doubt it) those JTF2 members leaving will again serve as a wake up call to the goverment. If they want to maintain a military they are going to have to put the bucks in to maintain it. All I can say is best of luck to those that leave for better paying pastures.

Ex-Dragoon I seriously doubt it will cause a ripple in our gov‘t except for the fact that they make some new rule where once you complete the cousre you have to sign a 4 year contract or something.

Like I said I doubt it....I think for certain occupations such as pilot, medical and certain others, one should be under a different contract policy. That way we don‘t lose critical people and the military gets its money worth for training them.

If the Canadian Government actually gave our military a chance to prove our worth in places like Iraq they prolly wouldn‘t leave. That‘s another reason they‘re leaving. More action.

I doubt the public care about the JTF either as most don‘t know they exist. Our public has a short attention span ie. ice storm, flood of the century etc. I think our gov‘t paints us with a bad brush ie. we‘re like the boyscouts etc. so I don‘t really blame them. They have a idea about us because thats what the gov‘t has told them about us. Anyway I didn‘t join to be popular and I can‘t blame guys getting out for a more lucrative paycheck to put food on their tables.

Originally posted by CFL:
[qb] I doubt the public care about the JTF either as most don‘t know they exist. Our public has a short attention span ie. ice storm, flood of the century etc. I think our gov‘t paints us with a bad brush ie. we‘re like the boyscouts etc. so I don‘t really blame them. They have a idea about us because thats what the gov‘t has told them about us. Anyway I didn‘t join to be popular and I can‘t blame guys getting out for a more lucrative paycheck to put food on their tables. [/qb]
My point exactly. Why work for someone who acts like you‘re dirt when you can make better money elsewhere!?

Originally posted by Slim:
[qb]It happens in the rank and file too. You just never hear about it because the Average Canadian doesn‘t care about the service unless it‘s the JTF2 and, then, only if they screw up.
[/qb]
On the contrary, I‘d submit that the average Canadian didn‘t know about JTF2 prior to Hati, if they know about them now that is.

Maybe...Maybe not. Sometimes its hard to see what sticks and what doesn‘t

You can bet, though, that all the immigrants from the Middle East know who they are!

money talks,plus the fact being a soldier for this country only matters amongs‘t guys who served.alot of canadians do not know much about the forces.the press only talk of the negative,very little about the good.look at the medoc,how long for them guys to get OFFICIAL RECONITION from are govt.when you get out of the cbt arms you are starting over from scratch on civy street.so why not make some good coin to set yourself up.it aint easy goin back to school in your mid to late 20‘s.like slim says people only want to hear about the jtf2,most people in canada can‘t name one of the 3 reg force infantry battlions....those guys are definitly going to earn their money :akimbo:

Could someone tell em what ‘JTF-2 Qualified‘ means???

Back