• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) - Canadian Special Forces

Information about the 59th and final annual reunion of the 2nd Canadian Parachute Battalion
First Special Service Force (The Devil's Brigade) is published in "The Spearhead" the official
publication of the First Special Service Force Association. The event will be held at the Sheraton
Suites Calgary August 11, 2006. During the event, the US Army's coveted Combat Infantry
Badge (CIB) will be distributed to the long deprived Canadian survivors of the Force by order
of the US Army's Human Resources Command, under the provisions of US Army Regulation
AR600-8-22 and states, in part; "Award of the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB) 2nd Canadian
Parachute Battalion, First Special Service Force, Fort William Henry Harrison Montana 59601
for service July 1, 1944 to August 1944, Reason: For satisfactory performance of duty while
under hostile fire (Format 320)". DND bureaucrats are seeking a new name for the Canadian
Army's JTF 2, and my suggestion was and is it be renamed, with a fitting ceremony, 2nd
Special Service Force. In attendance in Calgary next year for the reunion will be LtGen Philip
Kensinger Commander Special Operations Command US Army Fort Bragg NC. The reunion will
be on for three days. For additional information, contact "The Spearhead" EMail: storfssf@infoline,net
Executive Director, Bill Story, Moneta VA, USA.  My neigbour Ross McGilvray, served in the unit
at fought at Anzio and other battles in Italy, plus the invasion of Southern France. MacLeod

The unit should be renamed. How about the Second Canadian Special Service Force?
how 'bout we just call them "Fred"? Think of the confusion amongst the media, enemy (redundant, I know), and wanna-bes!
Troops goin' around sayin' "Hey, what's Fred up to these days?"
"Oh, Fred's in >insert sandtrap name here<"

Gads, but I'm brilliant.

^^^BWA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

I find some of these suggestions redundant.  2nd Special Service Force has been done to death since we sent them off to South Africa in the Boer War.  As for 2nd Canadian Parachute Battallion First Special Service Force (Devil's Brigade), I am sure that that unit never ever existed.  The First Special Service Force (Devil's Brigade) existed, as did 1 Can Para, both having short, but proud and divergent histories. 

Then again, this may be a fault of the new trend towards "Revisionist History" where we are allowed to take literary licence and rewrite the facts as we see fit.  No wonder we are bound to make the same mistakes over again - they may never have happened in the first place.

On the 8th April 2005 the US Department of the Army published a Permanent Order relating
to the award of the Combat Infantry Badge to Canadian survivors of the First Special Service
Force. The offical order Permanent Order 098-1 to 69 pages list the recipiants. On the bottom
half of each of the seventeen name pages there is the following statement: "2nd Canadian
Parachute Battalion, First Special Service Force (The Devils Brigade) Fort William Henry Harrison
Helena Montana 59601 - Announcement is made of the following award: Combat Infantry Badge
date(s) or period of service: July 1 1944 to August 1944. Authority AR 600-822 Paragraph 8-6
Reason: For satisfactory performance of duty under hostile fire (Format 32). By Order of the
Secretary of the Army (signed) William H. Johnson LTC,AG Chief, Military Awards Branch".
I would venture to say that the US Army, with reference to the Unit in this Order, know the
correct and proper reference to this famous joint Canadian/U.S. unit, as published.
MacLeod

Has anyone heard about something called the special operations group in relations to JTF-2.

Yes, it's public information stated in the Defence Policy Statement (DPS) (available here on the internet).  Check out the right hand column of Page 12, where the SOG is first mentioned....

Cheers,
Duey

jmacleod said:
No - but Special Operations Group has a certain ring to it. MacLeod

Only if you're old enough to remember it for what it was...

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has a link or something to the Dare to be Challenged training video.

thanks

civvy3840 said:
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has a link or something to the Dare to be Challenged training video.

thanks

I'm sure that if you search the thread carefully you'll find it without too much hassle...

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to thank the members, especially the Staff, for providing the information they have about JTF 2. Thank you; it was definitely an interesting read.  :)

James said:
I apologize for bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to thank the members, especially the Staff, for providing the information they have about JTF 2. Thank you; it was definitely an interesting read.   :)

How about you just read all 37 pages of info in this thread on JTF2, go to their website, and buy xxxxx xxxxxxxx's book.  You will then possess all the knowledge that is public about JTF2.  I am quite sure the staff (or anyone else with specific knowledge of the unit) will tell you to do the same, as most info about them is covered by OPSEC rules.  If you needed to know stuff about them, you would.

I spent over an hour yesterday going through all 37 pages... and I've been to the website; I downloaded the videos and the word documents they provided... and I own Canada's Secret Commandos; I've read it several times...

" Carl from the Simpsons Stonecutter Episiode" Oh well, it was a real nice secret organization once!" using it in reference of all the people asking about JTF. If you want to know about them, then join them, if not let sleeping dogs lie and just let them do what they do. :cdn:

James said:
I spent over an hour yesterday going through all 37 pages... and I've been to the website; I downloaded the videos and the word documents they provided... and I own Canada's Secret Commandos; I've read it several times...

Then you know everything about them that can be known in the public domain.  The only way to learn more is to join.

Ok... I'm sorry, but can you explain why you replied to my post? I was just thanking the staff for providing news articles and what bits of information they have.

James said:
Ok... I'm sorry, but can you explain why you replied to my post? I was just thanking the staff for providing news articles and what bits of information they have.

Enough gents...let it go before this degenerates into another peeing contest.

Done and dusted.

Slim
STAFF

Back