• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the Reserves

pec

Inactive
Reaction score
I've just told my parents recently about wanting to join full-time but they said I should try out the Reserves first. Just wondering if anyone knows how it all works in the Reserves. What sort of things would you do there and also, once I decide to go full-time, how do I make the switch?

Thanks

Pec

Pec,

If you're posting in a "recruits only" forum, and then go on to ask how the system works, you're not going to get a lot of responses, because recruits have no idea how things work.

My suggestion is that you go into the recruiting forums, and spend a goodly amount of time scanning those threads, as most of the questions you have, have already been asked ad-nauseum, and answered.

Short answer, reserves are part time, and most reservists either have regular jobs, or are pursuing full time education outside of the armoury. Reg Force is your occupation and career.

Joining the reserves is a good indicator if you'll be a good fit for the CF. However if you want to do so as a career, you will then have to apply for a CT ( Component Transfer) to do so. I know several individuals who have been reserve for years, and have been waiting for a CT for years as well.

To add to that: In the reserves you will usually only work (we call it parade) once a week. Usually you'll parade once a week and go on the occasional weekend ex. Full time work with the reserves is possible in the form of courses and taskings (but those are becoming harder to get) and it's never guaranteed. A lot of people use the reserves as a stepping stone to the reg force. To go from reserves to reg you need to do a Component Transfer (CT) and depending on if you're switching trades or not you may have to drop a rank. The process can take a long time (I waited 8 months for my CT interview) and I know guys who have waited longer then that. If you want to join the reserves to "try it out" and see if you like military life, go for it. Keep in mind the process to go full time might take a while.

I would take their advice. This is how i joined up.
I figured i would get a taste of military life by joining the the reserves as an infanteer.

I liked it and stuck around for about a year before making a component transfer and picking a trade in the regular forces.

Just remember, everything takes time. The recruiting process, the transfer to the regular forces. If you can be patient and enjoy yourself you will go far in the army

Back