• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the reserves while only living in Canada half the year?

h2rodeo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, This is my first post…Ive been creeping on here for years though, decided to finally register. Ive used the search button, but as my situation is a little unique to most, i figure Id ask my question here.

Im looking to join the reserves as an infantry soldier. However, I only live in Canada for 6 months of the year right now (I travel and am finishing my degree for the other 6 months). I know that I need to make a minimum time commitment to be in the reserves and I was wondering if I would need to be here in Canada for all 12 months of the year to do that, or would it be possible to join the reserves if I am only here for half the year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the only person who can really give you any answer would be the recruiter at your local unit , I know that technically you could do your classes in the summer ... but that being said .. you might miss on some important exercise , and so-on .....

I would give a call to the recruiter and ask him .....

The main issue I see is that in the reserves, you must parade at your unit at least once a month, otherwise you are declared NES (non effective strenght) You become an admnistrative burden for your regiment and you risk a dishonorable release.

You can ask for a leave, but for six months it has to go the brigade CO and can be hard to get, especially if you are a new member. And you cannot ask for leaves over and over again.

So I strongly advise you to wait until you live the whole year in Canada before applying.

Which other country?

It is possible, albeit difficult, to parade as a Canadian reservist in another nation with their military. Obviously, no unit is going to be super keen to do this for a brand new soldier for numerous reasons, but the possibility exists.

lambeosaurus said:
The main issue I see is that in the reserves, you must parade at your unit at least once a month, otherwise you are declared NES (non effective strenght) You become an admnistrative burden for your regiment and you risk a dishonorable release.

You can ask for a leave, but for six months it has to go the brigade CO and can be hard to get, especially if you are a new member. And you cannot ask for leaves over and over again.

So I strongly advise you to wait until you live the whole year in Canada before applying.

Ditto.

Make your situation clear with the unit if you intend to enroll. Otherwise, if you're abroad for 6 months with no authorized LWOP (leave without pay) and become NES release procedures will most likely be initiated against you. CO's generally don't authorize that kind of leave to recruits either. Best COA is to wait until your situation is normalized to avoid becoming an administrative burden.

Great, thanks for all your help! I will talk to my local infantry unit and double check!

Back