• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the res then reg?

Greenr

Inactive
Reaction score
A 17 is it worth it to go res then at 18 transfer to reg? Is the wait to transfer to reg shorter than a civillian going through the reg application process? What's the average time for a res > reg transfer?

If you plan on joining the Reserves at 17 then the Regs when you hit 18, just join the Regular Force at 18 and not do Reserves.  IMO not worth it for you or the Reserves to do that.  Also transferring to the Regular Force may not happen quickly, especially if the trade you want is overmanned, etc.

I have to say, I agree with Skeletor on this one.  It was just over a year from the date I submitted my CT application to the date of my transfer.  Apparently, that is fairly 'quick' according to the person I spoke with at D Mil C.  I was also chatting with another member just last week who told me she waited a full 4 years for her CT offer.  It can be a very long process to go Res to Reg.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

I'm basically doing what you just described right now, I joined up in November and I currently have a Component Transfer in (when I joined up I figured they did Component Transfers through the recruitment centers which they don't do anymore). Not that I don't like the reserves but looking back I should have just waited because I may have to spend several years waiting for my Component Transfer to come through Vs. joining up in several months later and being what you want to be in the reg force alot quicker.

Back