• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1984 said:
There will be a test.

You will be put in a room with a knife, a chicken and a dummy representing an enemy soldier.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife then bake the chicken for 1 hour at 350 degrees and serve with a side of roasted potatoes and a nice red wine you will go to Valcartier.

If you the kill the "enemy" using only the chicken, paint yourself in it's blood and then proceed to use the knife to cut the rim off your bush cap then you will go to Wainwright.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife and then try to get the chicken's phone number you will go to Meaford.

That... was... AWESOME!!!! I peed a little!

1984 said:
There will be a test.

You will be put in a room with a knife, a chicken and a dummy representing an enemy soldier.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife then bake the chicken for 1 hour at 350 degrees and serve with a side of roasted potatoes and a nice red wine you will go to Valcartier.

If you the kill the "enemy" using only the chicken, paint yourself in it's blood and then proceed to use the knife to cut the rim off your bush cap then you will go to Wainwright.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife and then try to get the chicken's phone number you will go to Meaford.

An RN friend of mine told me of a similar test for joining the Royal Marines.  The test consists of placing a banana on a table in the centre of the interview room.  If the candidate enters the room and eats the banana, he can be a Royal Marine.  If the candidate peels it first and then eats it, he can be a Royal Marine officer.

If someone passes their BMQ and Officer qualification but then does not succeed in infantry school, what would happen to that person most likely? Would they be assigned somewhere else that they're qualified for? Or allowed to go through as a NCM? Or simply discharged and sent back to civilian life?

I applied for Armour Officer and Infantry Officer as my second choice. I know both are very hard, and I think I am more likely go get Infantry Officer since my spatial skills aren't really great and I have heard you need a high score on the spatial reasoning section to get armour. I have heard that the infantry is extremely hard. It just sounds as if you have to be the toughest sort of person imaginable to succeed and most fail. I have a lot of heart and a lot of determination, but what if that isn't good enough? Will I get kicked to the curb by the CAF if I don't make it through infantry school?

MikeApplying said:
Will I get kicked to the curb by the CAF if I don't make it through infantry school?

Why not worry about passing one thing at a time?

Five minutes ago you were worried about passing CFAT.

These may give you an idea,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+fail&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=alrHWOyMNOGM8Qfnw4KwBA&gws_rd=ssl

mariomike said:
Why not worry about passing one thing at a time?

Five minutes ago you were worried about passing CFAT.

These may give you an idea,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+fail&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=alrHWOyMNOGM8Qfnw4KwBA&gws_rd=ssl

Thanks for the link. I'm not really worried about passing the CFAT, I'm confident about the sort of skills the CFAT requires. I'm just a little worried about the time limit, that's all. I like to take my time and basically wanted to know if others have found that they aren't rushed.

It is important to me to have some idea of what might happen if I were to go to infantry school and fail. Of course I am going to try, but I want to be prepared for what might happen. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to be thinking about during the application process.

See also,

Friendly Advice for potential Infantry Officer candidates 
MikeApplying said:
What happens to people who earn their Basic Military Officer Qualification but don't make it all the way through infantry school? Are they discharged from the forces or are they assigned somewhere else?

Mariomike hit the nail on the head with recommending that post - I read a number of Technoviking's posts while considering applying as an Infantry Officer - many years later the advice was spot on and continues to inform.  Ask yourself some honest questions about who you are and what kind of person you believe yourself to be - if you are content with the answers and they line up with what he hints at is required for success, you'll be in a good spot for training.  Go in with the mindset to not fail (and do everything in your power to make that happen).  Mental Resilience and an indefatigable nature is possibly the most vital traits you'll need to succeed through infantry training.

So you end up failing Infantry training - many do fail their first time around attempting it.  Depending on the reason why you failed, you will either be given the chance to try it again or will be pushed to remuster into another (likely non-combat arms) career.  If you fail for ethical reasons or dishonesty, you may be asked to leave entirely.  Gagetown (where both the Armoured Infantry Officers conduct their training) is filled with a number of OCdts and 2Lt's in varying stages of completing courses, waiting to try them again, or waiting for a transfer to a different occupation.  In short, it really depends on your performance, attitude toward the training, and willingness to be flexible if you are ultimately unsuccessful in your training.  Also will depend on what the CAF needs and what they are willing to transfer you into (if anything).  I've seen many become NCMs, many change occupations, and still more decide the CAF just isn't a good fit for them and release (or be released).

Best of luck - my only suggestion would be to worry less and prepare more.

MikeApplying said:
If someone passes their BMQ and Officer qualification but then does not succeed in infantry school, what would happen to that person most likely? Would they be assigned somewhere else that they're qualified for? Or allowed to go through as a NCM? Or simply discharged and sent back to civilian life?

I applied for Armour Officer and Infantry Officer as my second choice. I know both are very hard, and I think I am more likely go get Infantry Officer since my spatial skills aren't really great and I have heard you need a high score on the spatial reasoning section to get armour. I have heard that the infantry is extremely hard. It just sounds as if you have to be the toughest sort of person imaginable to succeed and most fail. I have a lot of heart and a lot of determination, but what if that isn't good enough? Will I get kicked to the curb by the CAF if I don't make it through infantry school?

They feed them to the 6B courses. It's the circle of life :)

Ayrsayle said:
Mariomike hit the nail on the head with recommending that post -

I believe the OP is familiar with it.

He posted the same question in that thread, before starting this thread.  :)
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/99437/post-1480039.html#msg1480039
Reply #115

mariomike said:

Reply #115

You get to ask a question in one place only, MikeApplying. Duplicate questions are considered to be spam, contrary to the rules to which you agreed while registering. I have removed the other one.

mariomike said:

Reply #115

Hard to keep track when everyone posts everywhere (laughs).  Hopefully the thread was useful for the OP.

Loachman said:
You get to ask a question in one place only, MikeApplying. Duplicate questions are considered to be spam, contrary to the rules to which you agreed while registering. I have removed the other one.

Very, terribly sorry for having made such a glaring mistake.

Ayrsayle said:
Mariomike hit the nail on the head with recommending that post - I read a number of Technoviking's posts while considering applying as an Infantry Officer - many years later the advice was spot on and continues to inform.  Ask yourself some honest questions about who you are and what kind of person you believe yourself to be - if you are content with the answers and they line up with what he hints at is required for success, you'll be in a good spot for training.  Go in with the mindset to not fail (and do everything in your power to make that happen).  Mental Resilience and an indefatigable nature is possibly the most vital traits you'll need to succeed through infantry training.

So you end up failing Infantry training - many do fail their first time around attempting it.  Depending on the reason why you failed, you will either be given the chance to try it again or will be pushed to remuster into another (likely non-combat arms) career.  If you fail for ethical reasons or dishonesty, you may be asked to leave entirely.  Gagetown (where both the Armoured Infantry Officers conduct their training) is filled with a number of OCdts and 2Lt's in varying stages of completing courses, waiting to try them again, or waiting for a transfer to a different occupation.  In short, it really depends on your performance, attitude toward the training, and willingness to be flexible if you are ultimately unsuccessful in your training.  Also will depend on what the CAF needs and what they are willing to transfer you into (if anything).  I've seen many become NCMs, many change occupations, and still more decide the CAF just isn't a good fit for them and release (or be released).

Best of luck - my only suggestion would be to worry less and prepare more.

Thanks very much for your input. And to everyone else who answered, thanks very much.

MikeApplying said:
Very, terribly sorry for having made such a glaring mistake.

Don't worry about it. You weren't the first, and you won't be the last, and this is not the biggest sin ever committed on this Site.

And don't fail.

Back