• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the Canadian forces in the future, need help!

war2001v

Inactive
Reaction score
HI I'm 13 years of age so I know that I'm probably to young to even be discussing this but I want to join the reserves to be an armoured soldier once I hit 16 years of age.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on like what to say to a recruiter and also I understand if you still think I'm too young to even think about this. I'm currently a cadet so I know how to like maintain uniforms and I also speak English,  French and Tamil.  My plan is once I get to 18 years of age,  I want to transfer over to the regular forces.  Does anyone know approximately how long this will take?  Also in the age requirements I got confused. Where it says 17+ with parents permission,  will I be able to join at 18 years of age without parents permission?  Finally if anyone could help me with this,  I really need a good workout regimen to prepare for joining the Cf.  Does anyone know any good exercises?  (stamina increasing workouts would be best)  Thanks!

As far as age goes I imagine it would be constituted by the age of majority in Canada. 18 in most provinces, but 19 in BC and a few other places. I hit 16 and got myself a gym membership along with entry to a local conditioning program, remember that eating well and sleeping enough is just as important if not more important than heavy lifting. Also remember your cardio.

As I don't have any experience in the reserves or really anything concerning the reserves I can't tell you anything about times, but I wish you luck.

For workouts, remember the three core exercises, they build the largest muscle groups in the body.

1. Squats (Every day is leg day  ;) )
2. Benchpress
3. Deadlift

At the very least watch some videos online before attempting anything, but if you can find someone with experience (The average joe at the gym would likely spot you to make sure your form is good.) to teach you how to do the exercises correctly. Between the risk of painful (and possibly permanent) injury and a loss of effectiveness due to poor form, it's the least you can do to assure your exercises are the best they can be.

Good luck, and may your lifts be grand and your gains be heavy!

Thanks that really helped me.  Right now whenever I wake up I do 20 squats 35 sit up and (please don't make fun of me)  only 5 push up. :( I really need to focus more on those areas but are the rest OK?  I also go to the gym 4-5 times a week.
Thanks!

Hello,

I think it's great you are already thinking of your future career, and even better that future career possibly entails working with the Canadian Forces!

In regards to the reserves, I can't give you too much advice because I myself am only mid way through my application. I can however give you some advice in regards to increasing your fitness capacity in general.

1) Play sports
High school sports are an awesome way to get in shape and have a good time while doing it! Nothing beats getting out of a boring class early to play a sport you love... On top of getting you in shape it exposes you to being a team player- an important quality in many occupations but I imagine even more so in the forces.

2) Start with the basics
Start by mastering body weight exercises (eg: push up, pull ups, crunches, running...etc). By completing these exercises you will be an excellent all around athlete. Try and avoid overhead pressing until about 15 years old- there has been some controversy over whether or not overhead pressing will stunt your growth (do what you want, it's only a suggestion).

3) Create a solid foundation
Allot of kids (including myself back when I was 16) want to look huge right off the bat so they start lifting weights. It's great... until your performing the exercise movements in such a way where you might seriously injure yourself (ya, not so great). In my personal experience, the best bodybuilders have been the people who've came from a power lifting background. So, when you get older and you want to learn how to lift some real weight (properly), try joining a power lifting class at your local gym. This will give you a solid muscle foundation.

4)Try bodybuilding
This doesn't mean you need to be the next "Arnold Schwarzenegger". Try and find a weight lifting regime that fits your schedule and that you enjoy doing. This can be done in multiple ways: through full body workouts, push & pull days or even splitting the workouts into sections (eg: back & bicep day). The point is, if you have a good foundation of muscle by the time you decide to join the reserves you'll already be 1000 times more prepared than the kid whose only been playing video games as a teenager and eating potato chips likes it's his day job. I started bodybuilding when I was 17 and it's been the best decision I've made in my entire life, in fact I almost wish I started earlier. In addition, having some extra muscle will definitely provide you with some confidence- an aspect that will carryover and be applicable in every endeavor you carry out in your life. I suggest checking out "bodybuilding.com", they have excellent programs and advice for training.

5) Adjust and tailor your training to life
The best thing about exercise is that you can continually modify your training and tailor it to your specific needs. If your training for football you can add some explosive training into your regime, or, if your training for a swim competition you can always incorporate some cardio into your workouts. The possibilities are unlimited. Same goes for the reserves, adjust your training to what others, who have been through the courses, recommend (there is a ton of info on this website).

Bottom line, any physical activity you do will in the end benefit you in the long run. Try and see training as fun, and if you do that you'll be golden!

Hope this helped,

Goodluck.

Hello, I think that it's great that you're considering a military career so early in your life. However, you should also consider getting a tertiary education, as many vets who I've spoken to said education is a very important aspect for a civilian life. Also, CT's (Component Transfers) are on a case by case basis, so no one can tell you a definite time for changing from reserves to regular force.

Good for you considering joining.

I got sworn in just a few hours ago actually.

As for the fitness level goes, staying active, eating healthy, and getting 7-9 hours of good sleep is very important. I've been training for a 5k sub 15 minutes so cardio is something I've been doing a lot of research on and I've found some interesting things.

1) Professional athletes devote around 75% of their time to low level aerobic exercise. For me right now, that means a fast walk. Around 20% of the time running really hard interval based training (all out sprints for 30 seconds or so). And only 5% at their race pace. This method requires a lot of time and not everyone (I imagine you are at school most of the day) has the time for it. Instead, do that interval training mentioned earlier 3x week. Start with 4x 30 seconds sprint with 4 minute rest between each sprint. And that's it. Obviously warm up and cool down with dynamic stretching. The rest of the week stay relatively active. In regards to your sprints, you should work toward 10x 30 second sprints with 2:30 between sprints. It's OK if this takes for ever.

2) Endurance is governed by 4 principles: Your heart rate, stroke volume (how much blood is pumped each heart beat), heart contractility (how fast your heart pushes blood out), and a preload (how much blood is pushed into your heart). Heart rate is increased over time generally, but sprints and Olympic weight lifting help out a lot (do NOT do Olympic weightlifting without proper form and supervision. Hire a personal trainer). Stroke volume is slightly dependent on your preload, but again, sprints and cardio help this a lot (mostly the sprints), same with the contractility. Finally, your preload. This is when your muscles contract and push blood out and back toward your heart. Obviously, the bigger and more efficient the muscle, the more blood gets pushed back. Examining all this, you can see that your heart can pump like no tomorrow, but not enough blood gets to it, it doesn't matter. Which leads to....

3) STRENGTH: You need to be strong. Focus on having good form. Use weights. Keep track of your weights. For building strength, do 12-15 reps 3-5 sets, at around 65% of the maximum weight you can use with 30-60 seconds rest between sets. For muscular coordination, do about 4-8 reps 2-4 sets at about 90-95% of the max weight you can lift with 2-3 minutes between sets (if you have space, do dynamic stretching and balance drills, you can find plenty on the internet). And look into "German volume training." This basically increases the volume of your muscles really fast which makes your preload better. Makes you look beast too. Make sure you are in good shape before you do this though and preferably not when you're so young.

That's the gyst of training. There's dieting, recovery, and lifestyle, but that's a whole other can of worms. Send me a message if you are looking for the info though.

Good luck!

1. Make sure that before you hit 16 that you have basic grade 10 math locked down. You will encounter the CFAT and it will be very tough if you don't have at least the basics; and if you don't happen to take the CFAT by this time continue to challenge yourself by taking more Math oriented classes in HS.

2. If things don't go as planned, have a Plan B.

war2001v said:
HI I'm 13 years of age so I know that I'm probably to young to even be discussing this but I want to join the reserves to be an armoured soldier once I hit 16 years of age.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on like what to say to a recruiter and also I understand if you still think I'm too young to even think about this. I'm currently a cadet so I know how to like maintain uniforms and I also speak English,  French and Tamil.  My plan is once I get to 18 years of age,  I want to transfer over to the regular forces.  Does anyone know approximately how long this will take?  Also in the age requirements I got confused. Where it says 17+ with parents permission,  will I be able to join at 18 years of age without parents permission?  Finally if anyone could help me with this,  I really need a good workout regimen to prepare for joining the Cf.  Does anyone know any good exercises?  (stamina increasing workouts would be best)  Thanks!

Older post but someone replied recently so I feel it's okay to keep on the responses. I'm an applicant so as far as my words go around here they're not as useful as what an active CAF member would say. I wanted to join since I was about 11 or 12 so I know exactly what you mean. I've only been 18 for a few months and I couldn't wait to put in my application - the wait really, really sucks. But you also have a minimum of 4 years to train before you can even start looking at joining - unless you do Cadets.

In terms of physical fitness everyone has to start somewhere. Let your desire of joining be your motivation. It doesn't sound like you're out of shape by any means but upper body strength and cardio might be a weak point for you. You're also at a fantastic age to get into a good shape. Start now, do a certain amount of pushups, squats, situps, chinups/pullups every day and try to increase them every week until you're at a comfortable amount. Always try to go out for a brisk walk or for a run and cover some decent distance. I used to walk 6km everyday with a 15kg bag to get to and from school so that's where I started.

It's hard but it's rewarding. I hope you do well!

Congradulaions on considering joining the CF!

Physical Fitness is one of the most important things to keep up with to join the reserves, and I recommend studying this guide for assisting you with the answers your looking for.
https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/Documents/Reserve%20applicants_en.pdf?Mobile=1&Source=%2Fen%2FAboutUs%2FPSP%2FDFIT%2FFitness%2F_layouts%2Fmobile%2Fview.aspx%3FList%3Df2f67371-9d24-4d91-b191-625c38a5d35b%26View%3D6b3b4aca-5a55-4957-ab26-e7280f986908%26CurrentPage%3D1

However the Fitness evaluation has changed since this article was made, Look up FORCE evaluation on Youtube, There is really good demonstrations of the test if your unsure.

The CFAT in my opinion was kind of Easy, but MAKE SURE you STUDY for the CFAT, some questions are really tricky and I agree with taking advantage of senior math courses in High School to assist you with the CFAT along with other english courses.

NEVER GIVE UP!  :cdn: :salute:

As I am reading this post, I see a lot of advice of keeping fit, eating healthy and getting proper rest. Although that is good when wanting to join the military, it should be part of your everyday routine in any career, especially at a young age. If you want to prepare yourself for a military career, don't just focus on physical fitness (again, that is a good thing but a very little part in joining). You say you are in the Cadets and that is a good start. Do everything you can to the best at what YOU without coming off like you know it all do and as you rise in rank, become a reliable and fair leader to those under you, not using your rank to "boss" others around and be better then the next person, but to lead and encourage the younger cadets, so that at some point they will become good leaders. Step up to the plate when it comes to your unit in cadets, wether it be to come up with new ideas or just help out when they need extra ppl even if that requires you to stay a bit later or come in when there is not a parade, just to give them some extra help. VOLUNTEER!!! You are never to young to volunteer. This could be anything from doing some work at a local seniors home, helping out at a food bank or local church, or raking your neighbors lawn because they are not ablt to do it themselves, and then keep a "brag sheet" for the things you have done so you can have it on hand when filling out the volunteer/ community portion of the application. The more you do things in and around your community the more you stand out as a young person and get noticed. These things will help you out not only in the military community, but also in everyday life. And lastely, Education! keep a great attendance record, pass in assignments on time and keep really good grades. Doesn't seem like a big thing right now, but it will help you a lot, and show that you are dedicated. Hope that helps. And good luck in your future endevours!

Back