• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining CSOR early

ProPatria031

Inactive
Reaction score
I have roughly 1 1/2 years in (10 months in Battalion). I have heard many stories about guys getting onto there SOBQ right out of battleschool. so I went ahead and applied but my CSM turned it down, I talked to the recruiter and he said he is sorting it out for me. I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course (without having anything to do with PT/phyc. test).

In 1PPCLI we sent off about six guys from my company - all new privates and some with as few as 2 or 3 months in the bn.  They applied right after the CSOR info brief and were literally on course a few weeks later after completing the necessary testing in Edmonton. 

You're SUPPOSED to have a minimum two years service in the CF.  BUT, last I heard anyways, when they were over at 1st battalion recruiting, they make exceptions for certain cases.  Examples were soldiers with certain qualifications, recce and para for example, and for combat vets.  Also, if you are slated to go overseas, and I assume you are as you are with the 3rd herd, any members slated for TFA cannot apply as per direction from the CLS. There's a CANFORGEN out there stating such.

Edited for spelling.

Is it common these days for Ptes to get recce and para before the 2 year mark? I was under the impression those courses were not easy nor quick to get on.

Thanks in advance

It's all in who you know ... get to the unit at the right time, do the right things, meet the right people and you can really go places.  I know young privates that were snipers in the sniper cell with less than a year in battalion.  It is feasible that a young go getter posted to the third could get his recce and para course before the 2 year mark, and these are precisely the kind of people CSOR wants to steal recruit from the line units.  Motivated, professional, disciplined soldiers.

Dirty Patricia said:
In 1PPCLI we sent off about six guys from my company - all new privates and some with as few as 2 or 3 months in the bn.  They applied right after the CSOR info brief and were literally on course a few weeks later after completing the necessary testing in Edmonton. 

And the experiment did not work.  Most are on their way back

ProPatria031 said:
I have roughly 1 1/2 years in (10 months in Battalion). I have heard many stories about guys getting onto there SOBQ right out of battleschool. so I went ahead and applied but my CSM turned it down, I talked to the recruiter and he said he is sorting it out for me. I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course (without having anything to do with PT/phyc. test).

You don't want to be the guy that tries and fails selection two or three times. Your CSM might be doing you a favour. Make sure you're super fit and have enough TI, self-confidence and experience to sail through selection and do well in the unit. Your reputation is sure to precede you. Two years TI is not a bad start, but three to five years (and possibly with some leadership/ sp wpns experience) sounds better IMHO.

daftandbarmy said:
You don't want to be the guy that tries and fails selection two or three times.

Why not? I know many guys who have failed cetain testing and went on to join certain organisations.
If he thinks he's fit enough go for it.

Good luck man.

Just look at it as an extra year to train buddy,I'm sure come next year if not already you will kick butt on the course.

As for the CSM turning you down. At the recruiting brief in pet the other day the recruiter mentioned that your unit has the final say if you can leave or not. Id work on getting your own CoC to support you first. (Going over their heads to the recruiter might not be the best approach). I was turned down from my CO for the skyhawks (even though I met all the pre-reqs) due to OP TEMPO. This happened to guys applying for CSOR as well. Seems like with all the tours going on no unit wants to let many people go.

But the big thing that making angry is that there are roughly 250 in rear party, plus I'm not on TFA or the 10% pool (don't know why I have already investigated that). I have never been someone to wait around for something, if I want something I go and get it, and the CSM is worried about 1 measly no hook private leaving the Bn

ProPatria031 said:
But the big thing that making angry is that there are roughly 250 in rear party, plus I'm not on TFA or the 10% pool (don't know why I have already investigated that). I have never been someone to wait around for something, if I want something I go and get it, and the CSM is worried about 1 measly no hook private leaving the Bn

I wonder how hard they worked to get that no hook Private into the Bn to fill that position and be a Team Player.  The CSM may want to get rid of his 'deadwood' and 'social climbers' first.

ProPatria031 said:
you may be right but, rear party COY is a shyte show right now

Rear Party, especially in winter, is always a shyte show, no matter what unit you're with. 

Remember, 10% list isn't too big, and then they will need guys from outside that 10% to fill slots on Tour, if shyte hits the rotary propellor thingy.

ProPatria031 said:
I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course (without having anything to do with PT/phyc. test).

I'm not sure what you are getting at here

well I really hope your right Wallace, I hope I can get a tour before CSOR, but I ain't going to hold my breath for much longer

ProPatria031 said:
I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course

Without your current CO's permission, absolutely none.

Hmm does that mean I have to wait for him to get from tour next march??? or is there another way around this????

If the CO is away on tour he delegates certain authority to the OC Rear party.  In administrative matters such as this OC rear party can sign for the CO.

well that's perfect!!!! ;D this will give me time to train and I'm sure the OC wont have a problem with me going on the course after next. me not going on tour might turn out to be a good thing after all.

Are you aware that the course in May is only the ISAP?  (Individual Skill Assessment Phase)  The actual SOBQ will run in December, and there will be another ISAP in November.  They are only running one per year.  It makes more sense to attend the November selection; it gives you more time to train and will ensure you remain in the right frame of mind heading into the actual course. 

Back