• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Tory, Toronto Mayor to Resign

The Ottawa LRT has had another infrastructure failure in the east end.
To be fair the LRT not breaking down is more of a story at this point. Saw half the fleet of trains stacking up at St. Laurent this am and not even a tweet about it so far.

They still don't know why the wheels literally fell of the train over a year later.

It's a bit like that 'days without accident' sign that is always in single digits, people celebrating a whole month without anyone getting hurt isn't really as inspiring as they may think.

Similarly looking at the tracks being installed with visible waves and heaving in the base on the parts under construction also doesn't really fill people with confidence. New tracks shouldn't be bending enough that you can see it while driving by at highway speeds.

Having just given the mayor enhanced powers to ignore council to the benefit of developers, having just taken thousands from developers to support his daughter's wedding... Doug's gonna Doug.

I mean, I do have to admit to a degree of surprise in all this. After all, Tory is much wealthier than any of the Fords, yet, unlike Rob, Tory didn't have enough at home to eat.

Pierre is counting on you; do the right thing.

Sure, I'll do it.

Jarnhamar, I already pledged to you to go out and vote blue, no matter who, in the next federal election. :salute:

You are not eligible to vote in Toronto elections. Want me to be your proxy?

I don't much care who gets in, as I have not worked for the city since the Miller era.

I think it's nice that people take an interest in our politics.

The good thing about the LRT is that you can't do anything else with it; it's a sunk cost and governments love to double down on losses rather than admit failure, so oodles of money will be found to eventually fix the problems.

Jarnhamar, I already pledged to you to go out and vote blue, no matter who, in the next federal election. :salute:

You are not eligible to vote in Toronto elections, so I will be your proxy. Who do you want me to vote for in that one?

I don't much care as I have not depended on them for a pay cheque since the Miller era.
There is a lot to unpack with your responses here my friend.

I think you're quite a bit more partisan than you realize.

I remember reading this in the "2022 CPC Leadership Discussion" about party politics:

The folks with serious TDS might not survive that long without stroking out. I mean, you saw the straw poll!

Perhaps some Canadians loathe it so much they don't vote.

Until this Friday surprise at City Hall, we only had to endure a 60-day election cycle, once every four years.

No party-politics either. Because there is no Conservative or Liberal way to fix a sewer.

As city employees we weren't allowed to support or oppose a political party and/or candidate before or during an election, while in uniform.

If we did discuss it in private at the station, it would be about mayoral or ward candidates who best supported the pay, benefits and working conditions we deserved. City Hall controlled that. Not Ottawa.

Nice to see the interest in Toronto politics.

Fire mains blowing out in a tunnel less than a decade after construction are equally uninspiring.
Who could foresee that you might get cold weather in Ottawa that might require adequate piping protection from freezing, and steel pipes might corrode if you get salt in the local air from road de-icing?

Given that the drains were installed at high points in the grading in the stations though, nothing really surprises me about ongoing LRT defects.

No party-politics either. Because there is no Conservative or Liberal way to fix a sewer.
That's right. The best way to fix a sewer in Toronto is to give the contract to a family friend or someone who checks off inclusivity checkmarks (experience fixing sewers not required) 🤑

Not a Toronto voter either. But that said Toronto for better or worst does set the ground, discussion and framework for the rest of the province and the great country at large. So we all have some interest in the mayor and elections of the leaders in the country's biggest city.

That all said the timing is weird. Plus as sex scandals go that is pretty tame on the face of it. I sure if that is all it was he could keep the job. Voters in Canada are pretty forgiving of this type of stuff. But that leads me to believe there is more to it. That or its his family laying down the line. I hope that is the case because then it is not a wider problem for the city. That way Tory can work on his life and family and hope to enjoy retirement. And an election can happen and no need to look deeper. The thing is on the face of it something doesn't past the smell test...hope I am wrong.

That's right. The best way to fix a sewer in Toronto is to give the contract to a family friend or someone who checks off inclusivity checkmarks (experience fixing sewers not required) 🤑

I didn't make the World, Jarnhamar. I barely exist in it.

Ad hominin attacks in response to legitimate criticism. (n)

Out of "an abundance of caution", I have decided not to respond to you about Toronto politics.

No offence intended.

Back