• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Gilbert "Jack" Layton, PC, MP (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

ModlrMike said:
While I can find no common ground with him on the political front, I've never wished him ill. Today is no different. Best wishes to the man.

As well put as possible.  Best of luck to both him and his wife.

Godspeed Mr. Layton -  Cancer affects us all, regardless of political stripe.

My thoughts and prayers are with Jack and his family, and my wish for him is a speedy recovery. Ottawa would be a lot less colourful without him - even though I just can't agree with his politics.

Best wishes to Jack-
Hawk

I find it hard to look at those pictures. Having lost my father at a young age to cancer, I wish Mr. Layton goodluck and a full recovery.

As much as a dislike Jack Layton's politics, I've always had a grudging respect for him.  At least you know where he stands.

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.  :salute:

I couldn't have said it any better Jaydub, a great Canadian.  Speedy recovery sir

Putting all politics aside... As a Canadian, I wish him a swift recovery.

Nobody deserves cancer... I know (as many do) all to well how it feels to lose your loved ones to such an arsehole of a disease.

Godspeed Mr. Layton  :salute:

Best wishes for Mr Layton's recovery. Ottawa will be less interesting without him.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.

And if one isn't possible, a short fight with as much comfort as possible.

CBC.ca

RIP

Your public service record speaks well for you.

A few moments ago, I went into the Red Sash canteen here at the Infantry School.  This sad news was up on the TV in there.

This is horrible news.  The only saving grace is that his suffering is over, and guaging from his campaign this past spring, the suffering didn't last long.

May he rest in peace.

Wow, what a trooper. He must have been killing himself but still stuck to the election and had an historic result. A brave man, he really went down swinging.

RIP :cdn:

Very sad. I know we all send our condolences and good wishes to Olivia Chow and the Layton family.

I didn't know Jack Layton but I did have a few chats with him, and we shared a table at a popular (and overcrowded) Ottawa pub one evening. He was a pleasant fellow even though I found his policies light-headed.

The NDP has a HUGE problem: Layton's shoes will be very hard, probably impossible to fill. Of course Layton himself would, most likely, have found it impossible to repeat his 2011 success in 2015.

RIP, Jack, and condolences to his family.

This has probably saved the Liberal Party, at least in the short term. I don't see many members of the NDP with the personality to follow in his footsteps as the Leader of the Opposition, and potential Prime Minister.

Didn't agree with many of his positions, but very, very sad nonetheless losing such a hard worker - condolences to family and friends.

E.R. Campbell said:
The NDP has a HUGE problem: Layton's shoes will be very hard, probably impossible to fill. Of course Layton himself would, most likely, have found it impossible to repeat his 2011 success in 2015.
Indeed.

- edited to add following -

Initial comments from Governor General:

Old Sweat said:
RIP, Jack, and condolences to his family.

This has probably saved the Liberal Party, at least in the short term. I don't see many members of the NDP with the personality to follow in his footsteps as the Leader of the Opposition, and potential Prime Minister.

Yeah, but I remember the same tones when Layton first took over.....nobody could ever replace ......

Mulcair is probably the best placed right now, but it will not take long for the knives to be drawn......

Thank you for your great service, Mr. Layton. As stated prior, not a fan of his policies, but a big fan of his passion and leadership skills.

A great Canadian.

Rest in Peace.

Back