• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Job offer, new legals problems... updated

alain22

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, just recently, the forces gave me a job offer. Now a couple weeks before the offer I got in an incident and long story short Im now being charged with assault. My question is, what now? Am I automatically disqualified? Put on hold until everything is settled in court? Replies are very appreciated, thank you very much, peace.

Did you inform Recruiting that you were involved in an incident prior to them making the offer?

no, i learned about the situation a week ago, I saw my lawyer today. I dont even know whats going on with the whole case, so i dont know what to tell the recruiting center. Its so early in the process and all, I dont know if i should wait...

Don't wait...

Just tell them what you know, that there is an assault charge laid against you and you are now in talks with slash following the advice of your legal representative. If they ask for more details that you don't know, tell them you don't know those details. If they ask something you do have the answer for (such as when is your next court date, etc), then answer it.

I can't tell you what they (the RC) will need to do on their end or how any of that will play out, but that is what you should do from your end regardless of possible negative consequences.

Just my $0.02.

You MUST tell the RC everything.

Your job offer is going to be put on hold because you now belong to the courts until the end of your court case.

For anyone wondering why, ask yourself this: What happens when that individual is convicted, but they're not in the province? They've 'fled' to where the CF told them to go ... NOW, they're a fugitive, they're going to be arrested and thrown in jail (with more charges) AND dishonourably released from the CF, never to work for the government again ...

It's better to deal with the court case and wait for the job.

Thanks for replies, the thing i worry about is that im innocent until proven guilty, but the forces me see things differently. I dont know, I wish they could put my offer on hold, or even if they take it away and say `youll have to wait for another one later`thats cool. But i dont wont them to disqualify me, and then id have to start everything over again...

Innocent or not, you're being charged.  The CF won't enroll you when you are going to have to go to court, etc.  Just as Otis said, tell the CFRC and wait and see what happens.  They may indeed just put your offer "on hold".  Once you're cleared, let the CFRC know.  Who knows, the charges may end up being dropped but NOT telling the CFRC is NOT an option.  If you don't and then they enroll you and this pops up, you may be released as an "irregular" enrollment and not eligible to apply again.  Is that what you want?

You're innocent until proven guilty but yeah, you STILL have to show up for court where and when required or you're looking at the pointy end of a bench warrant and a dropkick into the world of pre-trial custody.

I dunno how the CF looks at such matters, but from a legal POV (with the usual IANAL caveats), if it's a non-aggravated, first-time thing your criminal defence lawyer can pull out the 'idiot' card and probably get a suspended if you plead guilty at the first possible opportunity. The court needs to know you're in the recruiting process too as a probation or community supervision order requires you not to leave the jurisdiction and stuff and is considered at sentencing. A simple assault conviction, suspended for a year with a keep peace/GB clause and no weapons prohibition (you didn't use a weapon, right?) isn't a huge personal or career impediment.

If you truly are an idiot and this is your 10th trip through the courts with provincial time in your future, that's entirely something else.

haha thanks a lot for the advice guys, very helpful and rather re-assuring. Ill be at the recruiting center next week. Wish me luck! thanks again, peace!!

Definitely notify the recruiting centre of everything, legal, that you know. I imagine you have some idea as to why you're being charged, be it for whatever reason, just keep them up to date. They will likely wait until after you're proven guilty/not guilty before continuing on with your enrollment, but it shows them that you're honest, and your job can wait until you get this sorted out.

Just a quick idea. In my previous job, I've been charged with assault numerous times (I was a loss prevention officer). I was never convicted, because I never COMMITTED assault (I followed valid Use of Force protocols) and the recruiting centre understood that and agreed that the courts determined that I committed no crime.

So it all depends on what actually occurred. If you DID commit assault, and you get convicted, it may alter your chances to get into the military. But you should have known better. If you DID NOT commit assault and you don't get convicted, you should still get enrolled, it just may take a slightly longer period of time.

Either way, good luck!

Nauticus said:
In my previous job, I've been charged with assault numerous times (I was a loss prevention officer). I was never convicted, because I never COMMITTED assault (I followed valid Use of Force protocols) and the recruiting centre understood that and agreed that the courts determined that I committed no crime.

Lol this sounds familiar. I'm doing that currently for the LCBO but they plead guilty usually as soon as they see I show up. Back to main topic you should probably tell them because in the long run if they found out you lied then you'll ruin your chances for a while most likely for being dishonest with them.

A couple days ago I started a new thread, explaning I received a job offer. But an incident happened 2 weeks before the offer and it resulted a assault complaint being dropped at my local police station. Now what happened is that I just got a call from the police station saying that the complaint was taken back. Ill tell my recruiting center, but all the charges were dropped, so does this hurt my offer???Thanks guys, as always very appreciated! Peace!

If it was all dropped things should be good they could ask you for some kind of comfermation letter or somthing saying that your clear of all charges.Congrats and good luck. :cdn:

You didn't need to start a new thread for this.  In your original thread, we advised you to let the CFRC know of this situation.  Here I'm going to go out on a limb and say that advice still applies.

Now merged.
Bruce

Whew!  Thank God, I wasn't getting any sleep over this, glad it's resolved.

Back