• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Deslisle-former RCN, convicted of spying

cupper said:
So I guess the Criminal Code definition of Foreign Power rules out a Wiki-Leaks situation then.

The definition I posted was from the Security Information Act, not the CCC; sorry for the confusion. However, you have a good point, if it was a wiki-leaks scenario, then he would have been charged under a different section of the SIA (Section 4, I think??).

milnews.ca said:
Statements from the CF as of this post?
:crickets:

In a case where the CF is not the lead it will usually take a couple of days to put out a statement that contains more than stating that media should talk to the lead agency.

recceguy said:
........and what happens in the Mess, stays in the Mess.

Everyone remember. He has his day in court to be tried, and has the right to do that unencumbered without personal tidbits or second hand info and rumour mucking it up.

We won't be trying him here in a court of public opinion, heresay or barrack room justice.

There will be plenty of time to discuss things after the judge renders his decision. Let's all remember that.

Milnet.ca Staff

Oh agreed wholeheartedly

The story I read suggests he sent his information electonically. Didn't he learn anything in INT  school? I suspect it is just some reporters embellishment.

Snakedoc said:
Oh agreed wholeheartedly

And I'll second that.  For the record, I didn't post the mbr's rank/unit prior to it be being released.  You won't see any "what if's" from me.

Eye In The Sky said:
And I'll second that.  For the record, I didn't post the mbr's rank/unit prior to it be being released.  You won't see any "what if's" from me.
Snakedoc said:
Oh agreed wholeheartedly

None of it was personal or pointed at any individual.

Simply restating our usual caveat(s).

Well is this not a sticky wicket, yes this person will get his day in court and if guilty there can only be one penalty and unfortunately it is not death. Charges must be treason we cannot have anything less. Dismissal with disgrace and life, an example must be set. The spy masters must be exposed the media reported the Russians if so expel them all.

WTF??
Boxkicker said:
Well is this not a sticky wicket, yes this person will get his day in court and if guilty there can only be one penalty and unfortunately it is not death. Charges must be treason we cannot have anything less. Dismissal with disgrace and life, an example must be set. The spy masters must be exposed the media reported the Russians if so expel them all.
I'm sorry. Did you not read those word thingees associated with this story? He has been charged under the provisions of the "Security of Information Act," not "Treason." There are specific conditions associated with that charge; he obviously does not fit.

As for your belief that it's "the Russians" -- the hypotheses of a civie academic (notwithstanding somewhat respected in this area), given as the story is breaking, to a media that lives for 10-second sound-bytes, is not quite enough for me to launch Tom Clancy into the breach.
Article
As for the recipients of the information, Wark said the Chinese would be the “obvious suspects . . . . They do a lot of foreign information collection.”

But he also wouldn’t rule out the Russians or even a Middle East country as the recipients of the alleged information sharing.
What he said there was, "I don't know."

Sorry you missed the Cold War.

On the radio on the way in this morning they said that secrets were allegedly being "sold".  There will be all sorts of intrigue, mystery, drama and possibly Machiavellian turns as this plays out.  Regardless of how it finishes, this man's career is not going to do well from this.

Journeyman said:
As for your belief that it's "the Russians" -- the hypotheses of a civie academic (notwithstanding somewhat respected in this area), given as the story is breaking, to a media that lives for 10-second sound-bytes, is not quite enough for me to launch Tom Clancy into the breach ....
How about the unnamed sources of a breathless-sounding CTV.ca reporter, then?  ;D
An intelligence officer with the Canadian military has been arrested for allegedly sharing classified information with Russia, CTV News has learned .... Sources told CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife that the foreign entity in question is Russia, and that Delisle was allegedly caught in the act last week .... "Sources say that Russian espionage in this country is as extensive and aggressive as it was during the Cold War," Fife reported ....

In my old trade one of my partners had come back to patrols from CFNCIU in Ottawa.  He said that everyone has the impression that when the wall came down, espionage stopped as the cold war was finished.  He said that things actually got worse and there was more activity not less.  This turn of events comes as no surprise to me.

Not really suprising at all the it may have been Russians buying this information. Neverthless let the suby burn, this will continue to be an interesting subject as it unfolds.

What was this guy's job prior to becoming an INT O in 2008?

Now I know how the Russians took it to us at the WJC, this guy gave up our goods.

Russia.....

An intelligence officer with the Canadian military has been arrested for allegedly sharing classified information with Russia, CTV News has learned.

Jeffrey Paul Delisle, 40, was in courtroom in Halifax on Monday facing two charges that fall under the Security of Information Act.

It's alleged that Delisle had been illegally passing on secret information to a foreign entity since July of 2007.

Sources told CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife that the foreign entity in question is Russia, and that Delisle was allegedly caught in the act last week.

The arrest and the allegations lend some credence to recent reports that Canada is increasingly becoming a target of espionage.

"Sources say that Russian espionage in this country is as extensive and aggressive as it was during the Cold War," Fife reported.

While the exact nature of the documents in question remains a closely-guarded secret among security officials, sources said that the information could deal with ship movements and data about Canada's allies, Fife said.

None of the allegations against Delisle have been proven in court.

He was an intelligence officer and a navy sub-lieutenant, the Defence Department said. He had been working out of CFB Stadacona's Trinity section, which is a naval communications and intelligence operational centre in Halifax. It's believed that the base is a multi-national one, meaning officers have access to secret data from other NATO countries.

The military is conducting a probe to find out the extent of the leaks.

"Notwithstanding the seriousness of these charges, the RCMP is not aware of any threat to public safety at this time from this situation," RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson told The Canadian Press.

"This investigation demonstrates that Canada is not immune to threats posed by foreign entities wishing to undermine Canadian sovereignty.

"We must be ever vigilant to the real threat of foreign espionage, and continue investing time and resources into the prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of such acts."

Sources told CTV News that due to the sensitivity of the case, legal proceedings could be subject to a sweeping publication ban. It's also believed that a plea deal could be offered, meaning that none of the particulars of the case would be replayed in open court.

A breach of trust charge has also been filed, and that the alleged offences occurred in or near Halifax, Ottawa and Kingston, Ont.

According to the Security of Information Act, anyone convicted of the Act's most serious offences can be subject to life in prison.

Delisle came to the navy as reservist in 1996 and became a member in 2001. He was promoted to the rank of office in 2008.

Delisle will remains in police custody and will appear in court on Tuesday.

CSIS Director Richard Fadden noted in lengthy 2010 memo that Canada should be concerned about foreign interference.

"Canada is a target for foreign interference due to our natural resources, scientific and technological sectors, our role and influence in the international community, and our close relations with powerful allies," said the memo, which was written to the Public Safety ministry.

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120116/canadian-forces-military-security-leak-information-foreign-entity-120116/#ixzz1jjKQ8qoV

And even in light of this we're going to keep speculation to a minimum. The media are here and they are looking at this thread.

And to the members of the media: we won't tolerate any PMing on the sly to our membership to try and mine them for source material. Normally we have a decent and respectful relationship but we have had one or two who have really tested our patience. Please do not find yourself in the latter.

Staff

Reproduced under the fairdealings provision of the copyright act ...

Charged with espionage, naval officer seeks delay in bail hearing

A navy intelligence officer accused of spying stayed in the cells Tuesday morning, his appearance in a civilian court in Halifax put over until next week. Sub-Lieutenant Jeffrey Paul Delisle was to have a bail hearing but his lawyer asked that it be rescheduled. The suspect opted not to appear in court.

“He doesn't want to come up,” defence lawyer Cameron MacKeen told the judge, seeking a delay.

Mr. MacKeen suggested setting aside three-quarters of a day for the hearing, which could be an indication of the complexity of the case, and Madam Justice Barbara Beach of Nova Scotia Provincial Court agreed to reserve all of Wednesday, Jan. 25.

The 40-year-old naval officer, whose unit is a nerve centre for information that is collected and then shared among allies including the United States, has been charged with breach of trust and passing on restricted information.

He is accused of passing government secrets to foreign interests over the span of four and a half years – working with the Russian, according to CTV – a case that threatens this country’s reputation among its closest allies.

The charge is the first ever laid under Canada’s rarely used Security of Information Act, passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The offence carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Sources say that SLT. Delisle, 40, joined the reserves in 1996 and the regular forces in 2001. He worked in Halifax until 2005 and then transferred to the Chief of Defence Intelligence group in Ottawa in 2006. He spent 2007 at the Strategic Joint Staff offices, also in Ottawa, and then 2008 at the Royal Military College in Kingston. He later moved to the Canadian Forces Joint Headquarters, also in Kingston, before returning to Halifax in 2010.

Last Friday afternoon his career exploded as investigators descended on the home in a Halifax suburb he shared with his partner and three children. Neighbours said that authorities arrived in unmarked cars and spent hours photographing and searching the house. They carried out boxes and bags.

On Tuesday, SLt. Delisle, who has been in custody since the weekend, was to appear in Halifax provincial court for a bail hearing. The proceeding attracted a horde of media but not the suspect .

Mr. MacKeen told reporters on the way out that he asked for the delay because he had received disclosure just that morning. He would not say how his client would plead nor the extent of the disclosure package.

“All I can say is, one thing that I’ll... it’s the only comment I’m going to say, is people have to realize there’s a presumption of innocence in this country and that’s something that we’ll be looking at going forward,” he said.

Peter Chisholm, chief federal prosecutor in the Atlantic office of the Public Prosecution Service, was even more tightlipped. He explained to reporters the matter had been put over and then walked silently through a flurry of questions. He declined to answer whether the alleged behaviour of SLT. Delisle was tantamount to treason and hesitated before offering even his name.

As recently as last week, RCMP allege, the sailor tried to leak confidential government information. In court documents, the force alleges that, between Jan. 10 and Jan. 13, SLt. Delisle attempted “to communicate with a foreign entity information that the Government of Canada is taking measures to safeguard.”

The RCMP further allege that the alleged espionage took place over a 4½-year period, beginning on July 6, 2007 and including locations “at or near” Ottawa, Kingston, Halifax, Bedford “and elsewhere.”

The RCMP said the alleged offences have not placed Canada in danger.

More at link.

CBC updated story

Navy officer accused of spying forgoes bail bid

Jeffrey Paul Delisle of Halifax area in custody until Jan. 25 court appearance.

A Canadian navy intelligence officer charged with communicating information to a foreign entity or terrorist group has agreed to stay in custody for now and not make a bail application, his lawyer says.

Jeffrey Paul Delisle was arrested in the Halifax area over the weekend and had been due to appear in court for a bail hearing Tuesday morning. His next court date is scheduled for Jan. 25.

Journeyman said:
WTF??I'm sorry. Did you not read those word thingees associated with this story? He has been charged under the provisions of the "Security of Information Act," not "Treason." There are specific conditions associated with that charge; he obviously does not fit.

Let me clarify the charges should be treason!! He swore an oath of duty and honour he broke that oath. As someone in his postion he would have had access to highly sensitive material.

As well I did read and I know what he was charged with espionage against his own, to me know matter how someone else looks at it is treason.

ON a different note I do remember when Chretien had the death penalty removed from the NDA, and when we used to train for the big bad Russians.

Edited by staff to correct quote box.

For those wanting to discuss "treason vs. unauthorized release of information", here's how the Criminal Code of Canada defines "treason"....
High treason

46. (1) Every one commits high treason who, in Canada,

(a) kills or attempts to kill Her Majesty, or does her any bodily harm tending to death or destruction, maims or wounds her, or imprisons or restrains her;

(b) levies war against Canada or does any act preparatory thereto; or

(c) assists an enemy at war with Canada, or any armed forces against whom Canadian Forces are engaged in hostilities, whether or not a state of war exists between Canada and the country whose forces they are.

Treason

(2) Every one commits treason who, in Canada,

(a) uses force or violence for the purpose of overthrowing the government of Canada or a province;

(b) without lawful authority, communicates or makes available to an agent of a state other than Canada, military or scientific information or any sketch, plan, model, article, note or document of a military or scientific character that he knows or ought to know may be used by that state for a purpose prejudicial to the safety or defence of Canada;

(c) conspires with any person to commit high treason or to do anything mentioned in paragraph (a);

(d) forms an intention to do anything that is high treason or that is mentioned in paragraph (a) and manifests that intention by an overt act; or

(e) conspires with any person to do anything mentioned in paragraph (b) or forms an intention to do anything mentioned in paragraph (b) and manifests that intention by an overt act ....
As others have said, the RCMP laid the charges they did for a reason, and the reason(s) will become clear as the court process unfolds.

A quick note for situational awareness...

Not all cases like this are a result of a desire for personal gain.  It could have been an act of duress.

If you should ever find yourself compromised by a foreign entity, which is to say, they are threatening to blackmail you, harm you in any way, show pictures to your wife ect... contact your local NCIU rep immediately.  They WILL help you, not burn you. 

These foreign entities are constantly laying traps to compromise people and force them to cooperate.  Dont! Follow the steps above for gods sake.

If you are compromised you are guilty of being an idiot with poor judgement, if you comply to demands you are guilty of being a traitor.  Please never chose the latter.

Back