• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jean To Renounce French Citizenship

Pencil Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
Sunday, September 25, 2005 Posted at 7:30 PM EDT
Canadian Press

Ottawa - Michaëlle Jean is giving up her dual citizenship in France as she prepares to take over as governor-general - a post that will make her the titular head of the Canadian military.

"In light of the responsibilities related to the function of Governor-General of Canada and Commander in Chief of the Canadian Forces, I have decided to renounce the French citizenship that I acquired for family reasons in 2004," Ms. Jean said in a brief statement issued Sunday.

She added that French authorities had formally acceded to her request last Friday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050925.wjean0925/BNStory/National/

Well, it's a step in the right direction...

I had no idea she was a French citizen.

....To be honest as a British citizen and a Canadian citizen I find it somewhat uncomfortable that the Canadian Representative of the Queen in Canada was at any point a citizen of France.

Pencil tech:

In another thread about the GG, you said " god save the queen"

I say " god save us all "

Aesop, you may be on to something there!   :eek: I knew she was a French citizen already so her stopping being that is, er, a step in the right direction I suppose...

Well, as I like to say:

God Save The Queen

Che said:
Uncomfortable and humorous actually...

Maybe we could get her to throw rotten vegetables and dead cows off the roof of Rideau Hall while speaking in an outrageous French accent.

The way I see it (being a quebecer), the French have played as big a part as the British in the history of our country... of course the appointment we're discussing is scritcly brit in heritage, but what it is, is just a canadian chosen to represent the country and so I don't really see why it should matter if Ms. Jean has french citizenship or not. What next, are you guys going to bash her because she wasn't born here? 

Bashing? who's bashing?

First off,
The French and British have historically had poor relations, heck this summer we celebrated a victory over the French at Trafalgar by recreating the battle where we sank French ships and killed French sailors, we revel everyday in the glory of a man (Nelson) who loved nothing more than seeing the French Navy destroyed and Frenchmen killed. That is, admittingly, a very British cultural thing, not Canadian, however as the Queen is still technically the Chief o' state, we do inheret some of those things by proxy of our status as a former British colony.
Second thing, the GG is the Queen (of England's) representative in Canada, do you not see the inherent issue (and if you reread my post, it's more of a irreverent observation than anythign else) any British descendant would take with the Queen of Englands representative being a French citizen? She isn't anymore, but there is a certain degree of humour associated with said idea for some.

As a Quebecer I suppose I shouldn't expect you to feel the same way about the Queen's representative, that's not meant in a disrespectful manner either, I'm just saying I understand where you're coming from I don't believe you're seeing my point though. That's fine though.

And if I were going to Bash her for not being born here I would bash most Governor Generals as a majority of them were also not born here.

Loosen collar.

Jean is young, vibrant, cultured, speaks a bunch of languages, clearly cares a great deal about Canada... maybe I'm missing something here, but I just don't get why her appt as GG is the subject of comments like "god save us all".  Maybe she's exactly what we need. 

You're right about us not having the same feeling about the Queen's representative, and so there is only so far this discussion can take us becaue that probably won't change.

I just can't grasp why it should matter, even with the history of French - British relations. Henry Kissinger was born German (did he ever renounce his citizenship?) and yet americans accepted that he be appointed to important positions within the US administration, namely secretary of state, less than 30 years after the end of the second world war... and you have your doubts about the new governor general, who is basically powerless, because she acquired french citizenship - through her husband, not so long ago - some two centuries after the french and british were last at war? doen't make sense at all to me.

Che said:
Bashing? who's bashing?

just the general attitude in this thread... I should quote bridges here because that is what I should have said in the firt place. no harsh feelings.

This just in.....On the whole topic of the nature of the GG post, here's an interesting editorial courtesy of DND Public Affairs, on Adrienne Clarkson's way of approaching it.   

As Clarkson and Saul depart, give them their due

Today Adrienne Clarkson and John Ralston Saul will attend the installation of Michaelle Jean as Governor General of Canada. Then, without ceremony or company, they will slip away, private citizens again.  While their predecessors did not attend Clarkson's installation, it is unsurprising that she and Saul would want to be at this one. It reflects their sense of the authority and the continuity of the office.
With them, the office always came first. In everything they did in their six feverish years at Rideau Hall, it was always about the office -- how to preserve it, how to protect it, how to enhance it, how to renew it. It was always about the office because, at the end of the day, the office is about the country they serve.

From the moment Clarkson and Saul arrived in Ottawa on Oct. 7, 1999, they knew what to do. They had thought about the complexities of Canada. As Her Excellency delivered her remarks, one observer in the gallery whispered to another: "You know, she's been preparing all her life for this." The reply: "You know, she didn't have to prepare."

Clarkson was Jean Chretien's most inspired appointment. From the start, Clarkson and Saul (who would be a full partner) looked like a vice-regal couple. They had intelligence, instinct, imagination and energy. They knew the shadows of our history and the creases of our geography. Most of all, they had an idea of Canada.  They set out to modernize --indeed, Canadianize -- an antiquated institution. It was not easy; they inherited an office held by a succession of congenial if listless mediocrities who saw little role for themselves beyond the ceremonial. No wonder it had fallen into a genteel irrelevance.

How to reverse that? Declare yourself Canada's "de facto head of state." Act like the commander-in-chief. Go North, often, and call it your "spiritual home." Celebrate our past. Understand, fundamentally, as Vincent Massey once said, that the job is "constitutionally conceived but culturally lived."

The Governor General and her husband can look back with pride on schools opened, levees held, condolences sent, medals awarded, honours conferred, hands shaken. But what really mattered were so many other things they did, many unnoticed. The Constitution didn't say that they had to spend every Christmas or New Year's with Canadian soldiers in Bosnia, Afghanistan or the Persian Gulf. Or that they had to honour the forgotten peacekeepers of Croatia. Or that they had to stand in the withering heat of Normandy hearing the names of the Canadians murdered in the woods by the SS in 1944.

When you are prepared to do something right, no vision is too big and no detail is too small. So, you bring back the lion's claws of the Governor General's Coat of Arms. You redesign the chaotic approach to Rideau Hall (Saul's work) and restore its crumbling heritage buildings. You plant the gardens with native flowers and trees, serve Canadian wine and food, and show off Canadian furniture and art. You make Rideau Hall resplendent.  You give speeches, more than a thousand between the two of you, in both languages, elegant and thoughtful. You talk about the importance of French immersion and the duties of citizenship and the plight of the homeless. You turn the state visit into a strategic opportunity to sell Canada.  You create the Northern Medal and the Clarkson Cup. You rush to the bedside of the dying to give them the Order of Canada. You comfort wounded soldiers who will remember you. You raise money for street kids in Thailand who won't remember you, but it doesn't matter.

You do all this amid a chorus of criticism, all petty, silly, racist or scurrilous. You do it against a Parliament that cuts your budget and undermines your senior officials and a government that cancels a foreign visit it asked you to make.  As time will show, the only sins of the vice-regal couple were underestimating how mean-spirited Canadians can be, and how, in this envious nation, it is dangerous to be too ambitious, successful or daring.  But you persevere, even when you want to answer your critics but cannot, or when you are ill, which you were. You don't do this for the money (the salary is lousy and your spouse is unpaid) or for the kudos, because praise isn't Canadian. You do it, day in and day out, in more ways with more effort and impact than anyone before you, out of duty, honour, and love of country.
So this afternoon, as Adrienne Clarkson and John Ralston Saul leave Parliament Hill for the last time, let them finally receive what they richly deserve: The warm applause of a grateful nation.

Andrew Cohen is a professor of journalism and international affairs at Carleton University in Ottawa.   

I am optimistic that we can expect a similar level of heartfelt thought and dedication from our new GG.  It will be interesting to watch her tenure unfold in the weeks & months ahead!

*sigh*

I have a hard enough time getting Anglo-Canadians to understand what my humour is, why on earth should I expect a Franco-Canadien get it over the internet.
I had no doubts of any kind, I made (will reiterate from my previous post) an purposely irreverent comment regarding the appointment of a former French-Citizen to be the Queen of Englands Representative in Canada. Forget the fact that she acquired said former citizenship through her husband, forget the fact that she's most likely an upstanding Citizen, give into silly/dry/sarcasm and you might for a moment catch where I was going with it.
Or here, from your last post:

doen't make sense at all to me.

Exactly my point, don't think so much, you'll live longer.
I've never met a French person who's been able to Grasp British Humour so don't feel bad, I don't find Mimes particularly entertaining and existentialism seems stupid to me.

Watched the governor generals swearing in ceremony today and it was excellent, I hope she picks up right where Clarkson left off but gives it her own personal twist and style, I think things will go well.

MC said:
....... Henry Kissinger was born German (did he ever renounce his citizenship?) and yet americans accepted that he be appointed to important positions within the US administration, namely secretary of state, less than 30 years after the end of the second world war...

This statement is meaningless and irrelevant.  The US of A is not a member of, or affiliated in anyway with something as the British Commonwealth of Nations.  They do not have a figurehead like the Queen.  This question isn't even in the realm of "apples and oranges".

How can you compare Germany to the USA and England to France?.... I won't even get into how it wasn't GERMANY's fault for ww2 but Hitler's NAZI party. for F*** sakes!!! In this day in age i didnt think people would stoop so low!

S_Baker said:
MC

i was wondering how long it was going to be before someone brought in a comparison of the "evil" empire

just as silly as this medieval history about the French and British that is being brought up... why should a person's heritage matter? it doesn't ... whatever the country. It would be ridiculous to hold a person's german citizenship against them, surely you understand now why I find it ridiculous that people are making an ordeal about this.

George Wallace said:
This statement is meaningless and irrelevant.   The US of A is not a member of, or affiliated in anyway with something as the British Commonwealth of Nations.   They do not have a figurehead like the Queen.   This question isn't even in the realm of "apples and oranges".

not meaningless, nor irrelevant. I was just saying, MAYBE I could understand that some would think a person's citizenship to another country could matter if the position was very important (i.e. something similar to secretary of state in the US) and the question of loyalty could then be brought up. However we are talking about a pawn here, the gg is impotent, why should anyone give a crap if she is a citizen of another country? For the record I don't think it matters, whatever the position.  

seems this thread was just the op's way of being funny so I don't really see why we should further argue about "apples and oranges", unless you really think the Queen has been secretely holding a grudge against the French   :)

Cpl Massecar said:
How can you compare Germany to the USA and England to France?.... I won't even get into how it wasn't GERMANY's fault for ww2 but Hitler's NAZI party. for F*** sakes!!! In this day in age i didnt think people would stoop so low!

so you're saying it was the fault of the French and British citizens if they went to war and not the people who were in power? just trying to make sense with what you are saying, not that it really has the slightest thing to do with the discussion or anything  :-\

Back