• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jarhead

Slim said:
I have read the reviews of this book and find that, if the reviews about the book are accurate (as they must be to get printed where they did)

I hope you're referring to the Marine officer's review, and not the review at Internet Movie Database - IMDb doesn't have any standards as far as reviewing user submitted content, or if so, they are impossibly low.

Just read it. Pretty good. I'm not much of a fan of the jumping timelines.. i'm a pretty linear guy. Could have gone into a little more detail about his time on tour. Overall?... gets a thumbs up. Hey.. any book that I just pick up and take an afternoon to read can't be all that bad!
Pipboy

I am looking forward to the movie... true or un true.... movie is a movie...

Well, I had this book sitting on my shelf since I bought it early last year and finally got around to reading it.   Didn't take long, from start to finish.   The book caught my attention and upon initial inspection looked interesting, so I bought it.   I had never heard of it or the author prior to buying it.   Now with the movie coming out soon and such I thought I'd get the reading of it taken care of now.  

I went into the book with an open mind.   Early on I was ready to speak out in favour of the book and against those who've derided it.   Alas, that didn't last.   While I grew immensely annoyed with Swofford himself, I found the book to be interesting.   It can do with a little less of Swofford's philosophical preaching that you'll find throughout the book, as if that's what he was really thinking at the time (as he claims, for the most part).   I found the descriptions of certain events to be interesting and realistic.   However, at the same time I don't believe most of what Swofford says.

Swofford claims to have, as a teen, wanted nothing except to join the USMC, but from the first minute he's in he hates it and can't wait to get out.   If you can believe it, he does whatever he can to not be a grunt, but at the same time wouldn't be anything but a grunt and looks upon non-grunts with derision.   I could go on.  

The guy is so full of the steaming stuff that it takes away from the actual story the book claims to tell--a soldier's war-time experiences.   Really, this book is just some guy's way of venting and getting his feelings on paper.   For a book that claims to be a war story, there is an almost complete lack of an actual war story here.   This book isn't much different from some guy writing about his UN tour in Cyprus, except that this guy is rather suicidal.

That being said, I'll still see the movie.   At some point, after it is off the new release shelves in the video store.   .   I'm hoping the movie won't view the same way the book reads, but after seeing the trailer and hearing a few words from Gillenhall and seeing his expression, I know my hopes won't be realized.

Haven't read the book, haven't seen the movie, but the line from the begining of the trailer, "See that kid dreaming of serving his country? That kid is me..." makes me leary of his credibility immediate, I've known personally, and known of many more kids with dreams of serving their country who ended up washing out during basic training because of poor attitudes, poor team work, or being just plain crazy...

The best thing about this book is that it's nice to know that there are people out there more bitter and twisted than I've ever been  ;D.

MM

I am looking forward to seeing the mvie, but am not to sure if I want to read the book.

The trailer looks good though.

Just a Sig Op said:
I've known personally, and known of many more kids with dreams of serving their country who ended up washing out during basic training because of poor attitudes, poor team work, or being just plain crazy...

LOL

Anyone I know, Mr. Sig Op?  ;D

Some guys from the unit and i are going to see it together. Im looking forward to see what kind of twist is put to it, thats for sure!

I've read the book, I enjoyed it, but expected more to be honest. As others have mentioned he readily contadicts himself in the book when given the chance, but that being said I did enjoy the book.

I will be heading to the movie however, as long as I can get a ticket on opening day. I'm hoping to catch a matinee before I hop on my plane to BMQ, so hopefully that works out.

From reading his book his time in basic wasn't much fun, so hopefully it will put me in the right frame of mind/scare the hell out of me before I leave for St Jean  ;D

GregC said:
I've read the book, I enjoyed it, but expected more to be honest. As others have mentioned he readily contadicts himself in the book when given the chance, but that being said I did enjoy the book.

I will be heading to the movie however, as long as I can get a ticket on opening day. I'm hoping to catch a matinee before I hop on my plane to BMQ, so hopefully that works out.

From reading his book his time in basic wasn't much fun, so hopefully it will put me in the right frame of mind/scare the heck out of me before I leave for St Jean   ;D

This is only my opinion as I have never been to USMC Basic at Parris Island/Camp Pendelton, or CF Basic at St. Jean, but I  am willing to bet good money they are worlds apart in terms of each organization's approach to recruit training.

The authors fellow Marines have deridded him and his story all over the net.

Maybe the movie can correct his POS book - but I doubt it.

Cpl Bloggins said:
LOL

Anyone I know, Mr. Sig Op?   ;D

There's a list of people... I'm sure you probably know at least some of them.

STOP!!!.....Take the idea of seeing this movie out of your head....DO IT NOW!....Good....Now place it on the ground....Now slowly step back....Further....Good....Now turn around and RUN!!!

Just saw this piece of crap and I want the last two hours of my life back.

I can't recall seeing a movie without a plot before...well...perhaps My Dinner With Andre. This is, without exception, the worst movie I've seen all year. Not to ruin the plot but....Ha! I'm kidding...there isn't one.

Ever been on a two month ex in Wainright, and one day blends into the next and you can't wait to get home. Now image watching a movie about it.

I won't even comment about the content, however, the Marines that I have worked and trained with would never have put up with the crap thats displayed in the movie. I think it's called Artistic License. Furthermore, I have not been so ticked off with an unrealistic military portrayal in a movie since I saw Defcon 4.

You've been warned. (Although I know the great majority of you will go see it anyway.....just remember this......I told you so!)

Well, I'm going to have to agree with the above post (more or less).......

It truly didn't seem to have a dedicated plot, furthermore it felt like one of those movies where you spend 2 hours watching it, and then you realize you can't even remember any of the character's names because none were able to leave a real impression.

I must say though, there are some very impressive visuals in it, but that alone can't make up for how anti-climatic the movie really was. I read the book, and rather expected this, but I thought hollywood was going to take a little artistic licence and add some flair, but alas I was wrong.

In the end, the movie had it's moments, and I'm glad I went and checked it out. However, if you're going to this film looking for any kind of satisfying action, plot, or character development, you may want to look elsewhere.

It seems like I'm really knocking this movie, but I did enjoy it overall. Well, I've got to get my butt to the airport soon, later folks.

You should all go and see Harry Potter instead! Its got a PG-13 rating, how cool is that?!  :rofl:

Just came back from watching it. Couple thoughts.

I don't necessarily agree with the "lack of plot" comments. What plot is there? Its the personal story of a Marine from boot camp to Desert Storm and the torment he encounters on the way. Or at least, I suppose that was the idea.

There were some very good scenes in the movie, and overall, I would say it was good.

But there was a nagging feeling that there was something I didn't like about it, and I haven't really decided what it is. Maybe its the utterly negative view that I think the Marines were portrayed in. Maybe that wasn't the intent, but I'll sure as hell believe no-one really came out of that theatre liking them or wanting to "get some".

I read that guys review (the marine officer) on the book. Does he do that stuff in the movie? If he really did those things during his short career as a marine, he deserves a good kick-in-the-teeth - and then some.

Back