• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jack Layton of the NDP Accuses JTF 2 Troops of Abandoning the CF.

Politicians don't believe what they spout?
Politicans will jump from political party to suit their own needs. "Stronach"
They will change their views more often then most people blow their nose in a day.
When the Liberals were in power, they got us into Afghanistan and chose not to assist the US in Iraq w/ ground troops, We did send the Navy/Airforce, to assist.
Now the Liberals want us out of Afghanistan, but aren't really clear what they want the CF to do. They can't even decide on a leader. The NDP, who even takes them seriously anymore, Jack Layton spouts off about JTF and taking our stopping our committment to Afghanistan immediately.

My opinion is if you don't like what a politican says, use your democratic right that my Grandfather and many others fought/died for and vote them out/in.
You can also write to your MP and voice your opinion.

I choose to pretty much ignore anything that comes out of Ottawa, I find it is like the weather here in Victoria, if you don't like it go back inside wait an hour and then go back out again.

mercury said:
Mr Layton, you are no friend of the Canadian Army.  I put this question forward.  The RCMP, Coast Guard and the Canadian Forces are all employed by the federal government.  Why then is there such a large difference in pay/benefits between these federal agencies.  They all serve the citizens of Canada and share the same dangers.  If our military was properly paid, maybe we would be able to retain them...

A DED 3 (leading seaman) makes around $42,000 in CCG, how does that compare to the Navy?

Colin P: Re: LS Pay rates, MarCom

From CBI 204.30

$50,112 (Basic Pay Rate, Standard Trade Group) to $52,992 (Pay Rate 4, Standard Trade Group).

Up to $66,396 (Pay Rate 4, Spec 2 Trade Group).

Operating Allowances not included. R&Q (etc.) not deducted.

I will share with everyone a letter I wrote recently to Dawn Black, the NDP Defense Critic for the NDP....

Dear Dawn Black,

Your recent comments, regarding the swelling cost of the mission in Afghanistan and it's swelling cost worrying Canadians, seems a little out of touch with what Canadians really feel. Toronto Star Sept 21. Every NDP supporter I talk to, many of them here in Belleville, Ontario, not only support the mission in Afghanistan , but further support it's expansion and the use of CF-18's to keep our troops safe, is a prudent, smart step.

Furthermore, do not lump me, and many other fully supportive Canadians into the same mold as your personal opinion.  "The whole thing is escalating. I share the concern that so many other Canadians have that we're getting into a quagmire here that we're not going to be able to get out of,"

Many Canadians are concerned over terrorism, and the chance of it occurring here in Canada. We would much rather have terrorism happen "over there" where our fully trained, professional Armed Forces is prepared to deal with the terrorism threat. My wife, daughter and I are not prepared to deal with suicide bombs.

So before you tell Canada that Many Canadians are worried about a Quagmire in Afghanistan and its growing cost, ask those same Canadians if they are worried about a Quagmire here in Canada, and the cost of that type of Quagmire??

We are in a global war on terror. And if recent terrorist related arrests here in Ontario have not opened your eyes to that, I have no idea what will.

Support our troops Dawn, Support our government, and when Afghanistan is secure, and the young men and women can come home, then you should criticize the Government and the cost. Could you Imagine what your comments would have done to the troop support during World War Two, or even Korea????

I received a reply...but I am unable to locate it. In it she went off about not having an exit strategy, we spend more on combat than we do Humanitarian aid.

Do these people know that we are there firstly to provide security, and if that involves combat, we need to get it done, in order for us to provide food, shelter and infrastructure to these people????

Screw "exit strategies", and focus on victory.  Imagine May 1944:

"OK, the invasion is set.  We land in normandy, drive through France and on into Germany.  Once in Berlin, we'll hoist Herr Schickelgrueber's body from the Brandenburg Gate.  Questions?"
"Um, yeah, I have one."
"Yes, what is it?"
"What's our exit strategy?"
"Our what?"
"Our exit strategy.  How do we get our guys back to Blighty?"
"Um....let's focus on the here and now, ok?  Let's focus on how we can defeat the Wehrmacht, alright?"
"Yeah, that's all fine and good, panzers, whatever.  But what's important here is to have a balanced approach, coupled with comprehensive talks and a firm exit strategy."
"Who are you?  What planet are you on?"
"That doesn't matter.  Remember, we declared war on them, not them on us, so why are we fighting again?"
*a shot rings out*
"OK, any more questions?"
"I have one."
"Yes?"
"Can I have his sandwich?  He's not going to eat it."
"Sure, go ahead.  Anything else?"
"Yeah I have one."
"Yes?"
"OK, this has nothing to do with exit strategies, or whatever that dead guy was talking about, but..."
"Yes?"
"Um...just wondering.  Will Bomber Command be supporting the landing directly or indirectly?"
"Good question.  Mr. Harris assures me that....."

Taliban Jack didn't have a problem with living in a taxpayer subsidised housing unit in Toronto while he was earning a better than average tax payer salary, now he has a problem with retired soldiers making money in Iraq.  The fact that they are free to do so doesn't enter the equation.  The use of the word 'mercenary' was no doubt calculated to add shock value to his idiotic statement.

Alert the press!

I have just learned that our MP's are abandoning the government.  It seems that as soon as they retire from parliment they are taking jobs as members of boards, lobbyists, proffesors with speaking deals, and other lucrative positions.  It seems that the ones who were cabinet members (I think of them as the elite MP's that do all sorts of secret stuff so I can sleep better at night) are getting the best gravy jobs.  All of this is on top of their pension and they are applying the skills and knowledge they aquired ON THE JOB while serving as MP's.

We must form a petition or write to our extremist friends in the government to put a stop to this bleeding away of talent from our already overstretched parliment.  How will we ever have the Olympics again in this country if we don't have enough MP's to wear the maple leaf Root's touques.

Will someone think of the nation(s) of Canada for once!

Back