• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'It's time to consolidate NDHQ' & 'DND to take-over Nortel Campus' (Merged threads)

*COFF*CFBCHILLIWACK*COFF*CFBCALGARY*COFF*  Poor NDHQ muffins.  The deal we were all offered was "move to Edmonton or get out, we don't care".  Suck it up, buttercup.

Journeyman said:
NDHQ. Think Toronto's self-centred fixation.....only with uniforms

Not all of us chose to be here, and many of us aren't of sufficient rank to have a self-centred fixation about anything.

I'm not against a move to the Nortel campus.  Hell, it would mean my job is one helluva lot easier since I wouldn't have to travel to 35 different sites to find out someone has moved a computer on their desk and tried to stretch a 10 foot fibre cable to go 11 feet.  People posted to Ottawa who would be working at the Nortel campus would naturally buy homes which are a convenient commute.  The problem is the people who are already here, who bought homes in places like Orleans under the impression that they'd be working downtown, and all of a sudden are faced with a commute across the city.  The slap in the face is the reduced demand for homes in the areas where we now live, and consequent devaluation.

Home equity assistance is available to those who are being moved out of depressed markets.  Under a worst case scenario, one would hope that if Orleans residents get hammered on a spiralling real estate market, that the government will step in with HEA - considering DND caused the spiralling market in the first place by consolidating in Kanata.

Kat Stevens said:
*COFF*CFBCHILLIWACK*COFF*CFBCALGARY*COFF*  Poor NDHQ muffins.  The deal we were all offered was "move to Edmonton or get out, we don't care".  Suck it up, buttercup.

DND completely shut down operations in those locations.  Apples and oranges.

Occam said:
Not all of us chose to be here, and many of us aren't of sufficient rank to have a self-centred fixation about anything.

I'm not against a move to the Nortel campus.  Hell, it would mean my job is one helluva lot easier since I wouldn't have to travel to 35 different sites to find out someone has moved a computer on their desk and tried to stretch a 10 foot fibre cable to go 11 feet.  People posted to Ottawa who would be working at the Nortel campus would naturally buy homes which are a convenient commute.  The problem is the people who are already here, who bought homes in places like Orleans under the impression that they'd be working downtown, and all of a sudden are faced with a commute across the city.  The slap in the face is the reduced demand for homes in the areas where we now live, and consequent devaluation.

Home equity assistance is available to those who are being moved out of depressed markets.  Under a worst case scenario, one would hope that if Orleans residents get hammered on a spiralling real estate market, that the government will step in with HEA - considering DND caused the spiralling market in the first place by consolidating in Kanata.

DND completely shut down operations in those locations.  Apples and oranges.

Not true.

Kat Stevens said:
Not true.

Could you elaborate on that a little?  ;D

If there's still a military presence at either of those locations, I don't know what it is.

Never heard of the ASU at Chilliwack?

If this looks like its going to happen then I'm snatching up some houses in Kemptville really quick.

Hey, Old Sweat,.....

Kat Stevens said:
Never heard of the ASU at Chilliwack?

Actually, I hadn't.  I stand corrected.  My impression was that when CFOCS left town, there was nothing left.  Assuming Wikipedia is correct about CFSME and 3 PPCLI also leaving in 1997, how many pers are still left at the ASU?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
If this looks like its going to happen then I'm snatching up some houses in Kemptville really quick.

Hey, Old Sweat,.....

The line forms behind me.  :p

Occam said:
Actually, I hadn't.  I stand corrected.  My impression was that when CFOCS left town, there was nothing left.  Assuming Wikipedia is correct about CFSME and 3 PPCLI also leaving in 1997, how many pers are still left at the ASU?

The line forms behind me.  :p

There are about 200 reg, and a metric butt load of res people jogging in and out of Chilliwack.  There were a few Engineers in Chilliwack before the exodus, too... 1 Combat something something... wikipedia could screw up a wet dream.

Maybe so......lets check it out.
There must be something going on over there :nod:
From wikipedia:

ASU Chilliwack has responsibility over several military training areas. These areas are often used by Regular Force units from 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, Reserve Force units from Mainland British Columbia, some units training for deployment to Afghanistan, and as well as Cadets.

ASU Chilliwack maintains ranges and training areas for use by it dependencies, as well as visiting units.

Vokes Range
Slesse Creek Demolition Training Areas
Columbia Valley Training Area
Trail Rifle Range
Stone Creek Training Area
Vernon Military Camp
OPSEE Training Area
Chilcotin Training Area
Vedder Mountain Training Area
Richmond – Armoury and transmitter site

:salute:

All,
Let's stop the Chilliwack tangent.  The regular force presence did effectively up and leave.  The base closed, but some of the propertie was retained for a new military purpose.  The little ASU that remains is there to support primary reserves in the area and send recovery should somebody breakdown while passing through.

In the end, these microscopic details have no relevance on the current possibilities for NDHQ consolidation.

The point was, people are inconvenienced by the company all the time.  Don't like it?  Get out.  That's all we got.

Kat Stevens said:
The point was, people are inconvenienced by the company all the time.  Don't like it?  Get out.  That's all we got.

There's inconvenienced, and there's financially hammered on your home sale.  One is okay, the other is not.

Things that come to mind.......No Cost Posting........Unit is moved to a new location, but pers cannot move location of F&E.  Move from Orleans to Kanata/Bells Corners/Stittsville/Carlton Place/Carp would be 40 to 100+ km.  Travel distance on a good day from East end of Orleans or Rockland to Moodie Drive approx 45 min to an hour.  During Rush Hour, and when the OC Transpo Light Rail lines are being built on the Transitway that travel time will be a min of one hour, maxing out at perhaps three.  OC Transpo service to a low service area will be reliable only during "Peak hours" -- don't hold any hope of reasonable service during off peak hours.

I'll be a long while before any light rail project is completed.

Just for sh*ts 'n giggles, I put my address into the OC Transpo travel planner, and put Lab 5, Nortel Carling as the destination.  I then set 0700 as the "must arrive by" time.

Leave house @ 0456
Route 130 @ 0501
Route 95 @ 0526
Route 96 @ 0541
Route 182 @ 0555
Arrive Lab 5 @ 0627

Yeah, that ain't happenin'.

While the whole proposal is based on a story in the local paper and may never come to pass for all sorts of reasons, I ran the route from Kemptville to Shirley's Bay, which I think is past the Nortel Building, in my handy Microsoft route planner. The elapsed time by road using Highway 416 is 41 minutes.

Maybe the folks putting up the new mall here with Staples, relocated existing IGA, Scotiabank, Shoppers and Canadian Tire and our second Timmies as well as Walmart, TD and BMO were onto something.

There's nothing in the original article which would offer anything in the line of proof, but it does say that the purchase could be announced as early as Monday (tomorrow).  It certainly sounds like a fait accompli.

Old Sweat said:
While the whole proposal is based on a story in the local paper and may never come to pass for all sorts of reasons, I ran the route from Kemptville to Shirley's Bay, which I think is past the Nortel Building, in my handy Microsoft route planner. The elapsed time by road using Highway 416 is 41 minutes.

Maybe the folks putting up the new mall here with Staples, relocated existing IGA, Scotiabank, Shoppers and Canadian Tire and our second Timmies as well as Walmart, TD and BMO were onto something.

The mall builders are on to something - Urban Sprawl - be surprised if they`d let DND drive their planning.

Any move is do-able - City should mandate cars off the roads inside a say 10 km radius - or dedicate a lane east and west. As it is - urban commuting is 95% cars vs 5% Public transport - just look at the fools who park at Louis Stand Around.

In addition - why not max out the existing infrastructure - get 2 shifts into all govt locations vs 7-3 ---- that means 6.5 hours at the desk from 06 - 1800. Can be done and if tfc on the roads in the region is any indication - many in civvy world are living that reality. DND should 2. That won`t happen and neither will Nortel.

Occam said:
There's nothing in the original article which would offer anything in the line of proof, but it does say that the purchase could be announced as early as Monday (tomorrow).  It certainly sounds like a fait accompli.

And as I said earlier in this topic, I have heard rumours of a super complex being built north of Gatineau, so all we really have is "The Rumour of the Day".  The building I work in is supposed to be demolished in 2013.  We heard those rumours for the past several years.  Each year a new one.  No one has found a place to move us, so again I'll believe it when I see it. 

Occam said:
I'll be a long while before any light rail project is completed.

Just for sh*ts 'n giggles, I put my address into the OC Transpo travel planner, and put Lab 5, Nortel Carling as the destination.  I then set 0700 as the "must arrive by" time.

Leave house @ 0456
Route 130 @ 0501
Route 95 @ 0526
Route 96 @ 0541
Route 182 @ 0555
Arrive Lab 5 @ 0627

Yeah, that ain't happenin'.

Time to buy an Express Pass.    ;D

George Wallace said:
Time to buy an Express Pass.    ;D

I have an Express Pass.  It's what gets me from my house to Tunney's using one bus, in 42 minutes.  Unfortunately, none of the above are Express routes.  :(

Back