• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

issued hexamine fuel tablet cooker?

oinyo

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day all.

I am scheduled for 4 winter Ex's this year. One being a winter warfare ex somewhere nasty for a week...
I was wondering if the stores issue a hexamine fuel tablet cooker so I can keep one in my pocket for boiling water on the rest. (Or warming up)

Has anyone picked any of these up? Just thought I would ask before I make the trek over to the stores.

I have a "Crusader Cookset" in place of the issue canteen.  Comes with, 1L UK style canteen, 1 metal canteen cup that the canteen fits into, 1 plastic canteen cup fits on top of canteen, 1 metal gel alcohol stove, a clear lexan boiling cover for the metal cup and olive molle carrying pouch with room for KFS, fuel gel, coffee, sweetener and powdered creamers.  Boils water in 7 minutes in the cold and the alcohol is way less toxic to you at the bottom of your shelter in the winter.  Crusader Cookset in Google.

Edit

There is also a cup handle to hang the cup over a campfire if you wanna go "native".

Well thank you very much LightGuns... That sounds like a much better alternative.

Here's a Canadian supplier:

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=46

Or you could just ask CQ to issue you a "ration heater" which is an oval of aluminum which nests with your canteen cup; flip it over and it holds you cup about 2 inches above the ground and allows you to heat the cup with a hexamine tab.

Most guys use a jetboil or other iso butane stove but as far as I know the hexamine tabs and ration heater were still being issued.

Are you some kind of sadist to want to use a hexy stove to boil water on halts?

It'll leave a thick greasy layer on whatever you use to cook on it, be impossible to pick up for at least 5 mins after boiling water as the folding tommy cooker will be white hot, and you'll be fumbling around with a match/lighter trying to light the hexy blocks whilst your comrades, being as clever as they are, enjoy their piping hot brews made on a jet boil/MSR pocket stove, both of which boil water in minutes.

If you're really that cheap, ask for a peak stove from the CQ.

Seriously, don't use a hexy stove.

Back