• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is the Brit Snug Pack sleeping bag...

What is the question here? Are you comparing sleeping bags?  I've heard that the Canadian 3 piece is superior in all regards.
Rather ambiguous in the info department.
Regards 

1 issued bag vs 1 Brit Snug bag.  Which keeps you warmer in the cold temps?  ie Issued bag down to -15, Brit -10 (example)

It depends on the models:

I have 2 a lightwieght (-7) and a jungle wieght (+5). They do make expedition models which go down to about -25C.

Snugpak is a brand name and offers a variety of different sleeping bags.  If I recall correctly, they're all synthetic-filled vs. our issued down filled ones -- big advantage of most synthetic filled bags is they will retain heat better if wet; down-filled bags have better insulation:weight ratios and compress better (depending on type & quality of down used).  With a Snugpak, you'll be able to choose between a (proper) mummy bag or a rectangular -- if warmth is a key concern, then I recommend mummy.  If you're a taller or shorter dude, you can get one properly sized for you.

I find most issued bags have been beaten down into mere nothingness and have had a few without any down in a couple of baffles at all.  You may not be able to get your QM to dry clean a non-issed bag, but that's something I find happens all too often, anyhow.  And should you have a problem with the sleeping bag in the field, such as 20 litres of diesel, CQ may not let you do an exchange.

Thanks for that info.  I'm not sure if they will have all the different kinds here in KAF but I believe they are running for $160 Amer.

SnugPaks Website has some good info on different types.

The main advantages are;
- Compact size
- Temp ratings

Disadvantages;
- Pricy (Eg. Softie 3 Merlin: $132 USD from Snugpak/Softie)
- As Shamrock said; if it gets damaged, it's a 'you problem'. just like any other aftermarket kit.

I've ordered a few of these for my units kit shop, and those who have them, love them.
They take up about a third of the space the issued bags do.... but to get the temp range the issued bags have, you'd have to buy a couple of Softies.

I think its worth it, but that's just my oppinion.

At least getting it here there won't be any outrages brockerage fee's.  I'm still not convinced but we will see.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
At least getting it here there won't be any outrages brockerage fee's.  I'm still not convinced but we will see.

oh.. yeah... forgot about that... heh... That lowered the kit shops margin on ordering stuff from Softie/SnugPak/Proforce...  damn brokerage fees...

Good luck with your decision...

There has been debate on different outdoors/military internet forums about Snugpaks temperature rating being somewhat optimistic but I've got a few of their sleeping bags and have had no problems with them and staying warm. Snugpak lists a "comfort" and a "low" temperature for their clothing and bags, the low would be that you would be very cold but would not become hypothermic in the bag. Go by the "comfort" rating to get an idea of what temp range you want the bag for, I would also definitely use a sleeping bag liner. Here is a link to a good article on factors affecting warmth for sleeping bags by Nanok a Norwegian sleeping bag manufacturer that had done some real scientific type testing with sleeping bags, take into consideration the last section of the article on "perception of comfort temperature" in factoring what temp range bag you want.

http://www.nanok.no/eng/temp.htm

I used not only the sleeping bag up north in the belly button for our PTL's but also the reversible tan/green jacket and pants.  They compresses fully, when it rained on us one miserable night (Feb) the jacket and pants stayed warm.  Weight is the major issue in the hills.  Tabbing all day then op's at night suck if you don't take the time to pack right and to have the good equipment.  If you are going to up and down alot get them.  I went onto eBay and got all my stuff for a good piece.

Back