• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Patrolman Officer Material(CEOTP)?

Patrolman

Inactive
Reaction score
After ten years reg force Infantry behind me I have decided to take up a new challenge/opportunity. With the reopening of the CEOTP program I have decided to apply.
I have a few questions for those who have applied in the past and for those who currently work in the recruiting system. My questions are: 1. Will I require a letter of acceptance to a University prior to file going to the board?
      2. Is the CEOTP similar to the LOTP system in that so many positions are held for civvies off the street and so many for serving members?
      3. Will my ten years previous service and the fact that I am still young(28) help me?
      4. Will my being a MCpl. for two years help?
      5. Lastly, would a letter from a Major(I have one) stating I should be considered for commission help?
If anyone with knowledge or previous experience in this area has some info on my questions I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Since when is CEOTP an option for serving Reg F NCMs? I think you need to look at UTPNCM.

It came down in routine orders 29 November. Apparently numbers are down so much they are searching for personel wherever they can find them.

I recall reading a message of some sort to the same effect recently.  I believe it was a base wide e-mail here.

kincanucks said:
I didn't see that.  Thanks.
No worries; that sort of thing happens when you leave recruiting for that....you know, operational stuff  ;D

Patrolman said:
      5. Lastly, would a letter from a Major(I have one) stating I should be considered for commission help?

As an officer... there are people who I would support to death..
and others who I would steer away politely.

If you have a major... and he's a stand up guy saying yes.

That sounds fairly good to me.  I can't judge you on anything else really.
I was a MCpl and I found it challenging to switch out of the instinct to
continue on being a MCpl as and think more officer like. 

If you can get the opportunity to experience what its like to be an officer
before hand (i have no idea if this is possible) try to get it.  It's definitely
a different life and you may or may not like it.  But if you do it can
be just as rewarding if not more so.

For an answer to #1, you shouldn't. I start IAP in January after coming through as a CEOTP applicant and I have never been asked for one. The only thing I was asked for was my high school transcript. However, of course, I would double check with your CFRC. Good Luck.

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. I am looking forward to the new year when I will be able to get things moving along. I hope  having Christmas  holidays doesn't affect the application process. The message came in on 29 Nov. and files must be in Borden by Feb.28. I preemptively booked my medical already so hopefully that helps. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your file completed and sent? I know that each case is different but I am just looking for approximate times. Thanks again, I will keep you posted.

Im curious how your commissioning would actually work via CEOTP... from what everyone seems to be saying at CFRCs and the like; CEOTPs are commissioned only after full MOC training...  Patrolman, are you looking to commission as an INF officer?

Also, *was told* and many on here have been saying similar, that INF numbers are closed for the remainder of this FY for CEOTP.

It was open for competition as of 29 Nov. for Inf.Arty.Eng.Mars.Plt.Air Nav. As far as my commissioning(from what I have read) I would become a 2nd Lt. immediately and be posted to the closest unit for my trade. So in my case 2RCR. I would belong to them but participate in required training ie:phases. Once complete I would be Lt. and command a PL. within 2RCR.

Meridian said:
Im curious how your commissioning would actually work via CEOTP... from what everyone seems to be saying at CFRCs and the like; CEOTPs are commissioned only after full MOC training...  Patrolman, are you looking to commission as an INF officer?

Also, *was told* and many on here have been saying similar, that INF numbers are closed for the remainder of this FY for CEOTP.

My CEOTP offer says I'll become 2Lt. once BOTP course is completed, and Lt. after phase 4. I'll go with that till things change.  ;D

Ax - good to know, thanks!

Ive heard both stories; some getting it, some not.  Which is weird, and probably something that can be raised...

Patrolman - Hey, if they let you apply, all the better!

Just a little perspective from a "civie" on the outside......

I visited three recruiters, in three offices(nov25-dec5,2006), looking to enter as non-commissioned for infantry, but was encouraged to pursue Armoured Officer in each instance, via ROTP or CEOTP. Though I thought the "pay my dues" route would be the right way to go, all of the recruiters insisted that with my work exp and related certs, I was "an ideal candidate" for Armoured or MARS.
  In my last contact, Dec 15, a recruiter called ME, to follow up on my progress. If necsessary, my app could have been "expedited" for the Jan 15/07 "course".

From an outsiders perspective, the CF seems in dire need of Officers, with proven "leadership" skills.  With experienced members like Patrolman pursuing an Officer ticket, I'm going to bet there will be plenty of opportunity for enlisted types to follow suit.
  From a corporate standpoint, bringing a floor manager up to the executive level is far easier than starting from scratch, and far more cost effective, even factoring in his/her replacement.

CEOTP & ROTP should be evaluated & debated with both the CF's personnel and finances in mind, as opposed to the implications of just a manpower shift.
  Just my perspective, nothing more; I hope it provides more fuel for your discussion.

If you have completed your initial engagement only existing commissioning plans would apply...

"The key stipulation under the new CEOTP is that you must participate in a program that will lead to a degree within your initial engagement in the CF".

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/1_06/1_06_dmhrr_ceotp_e.asp

Well so far things are not off to a good start. I turned in my memo 13 Dec. On 8 Jan. it went to my OC's mail box. I was shocked when I saw it still setting there on 11 Jan. I talked with my CSM and he hand delivered it to the OC. I did however get my medical done, located my high school transcript, and have had my MPRR updated to show I have passed the BFT. Does anyone know the base PSO deadline for Gagetown? Hopefully Christmas and the slow start with my memo do not mean missing the deadline. Wish me luck.

Well today is the day. My file is supposed to reviewed in Borden today by the selection board. Last Thursday, Feb.28th,the day it was supposed to be in Borden,I received an email from the BPSO's office stating my file was incomplete and I required to do an interview and write the CFAT. I MISSED THE DEADLINE DESPITE HAVING TURNED IN MY APPLICATION DEC.13th! Luckily I have a good PL.Comd who made some calls on behalf. The BPSO contacted Borden and My file received an extension to March 7th.Today!

So Friday morning I wrote my CFATS and conducted the interview Friday afternoon. Monday all relevant paperwork was secure faxed to the board. Pheuww.... Talk about stressful. SO after ten weeks my file is where it is supposed to be. I should find out next Thursday (my birthday)whether or not I made it.

Good luck Patrolman!
I hope you get the good news on your birthday.

I'm still playing the "Hurry up and wait" game. I'm hoping to make it in for a September start. All I have left is the interview and medical too.

Hello I just joined this site this morning. I read your CEOTP post and I am in the same boat, but my application process seems to have gone a bit smoother.

I am an AVN technician at 440 Sqn up in Yellowknife, and I was in Trenton on the C130 before that. I've applied for Pilot, AirNav and PAO. Did you apply for army MOC's?

Like you, I've been anxiously awaiting my acceptance, or at least an offer message. Have you received yours yet? Nothing for me yet It sounds like the offers will come between now and the end of the month. I think my chances are good as I have a lot of prior post secondary education, although they say it isn't necessarily a requirement at this point it should help.

I'll let you know if (when) I get an offer message. Have you received yours?

Cpl Tim Templeman

Back