• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is HMCS Ville de Quebec still a Francophone unit ?

chrome1967

Inactive
Reaction score
Does any one Know if  HMCS Ville de Quebec is still a franco unit ? And if so what is the ratio of english to french ? any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Oui!

Couldn't tell you what ratio, though....although historically, the anglos are in the minority.

Occam said:
Oui!

Couldn't tell you what ratio, though....although historically, the anglos are in the minority.

Maybe in name only.....at one point we received message traffic from them in French, nowadays we don't. Their daily pipes used to be in French, now the pipes are in English with the odd one being in French. These days I suspect Francos are the minority.

A couple of years ago, I was onboard VDQ for some work and the CSE Dept had about 5 or 6 Franco's in a Dept that had a strength of 30.

Keep in mind that even though a unit may conduct its administration in French, if it operates within the NATO umbrella (which HMC ShipsNavires CSM usually do), its operations are conducted in English.  This is because the operational language of NATO is English and even the French Navy operates in English in this regard.  Years ago, the Official Languages Commission was breathing down our necks because of our tardiness at translating NATO publications into French.  We apparently asked the French Navy for assistance, but their response was that they had never translated any NATO publication, nor did they intend to because they saw no point in translating anything out of the language in which it was supposed to be used.

Since the new CO took over this summer, VDQ has become a true "Franco" unit - Have a look at their message traffic. As for personnel, last I was on her (in the spring), the majority of the crew seemed to be from Newfoundland and Labrador!!!

It appears that VDQ is still manned by a unilingual English crew. Maybe they should post some interpreters onboard!!

While having a ship designated as a francophone unit certainly looks good on paper, the reality of having enough crew to fill key positions is not always practical. I believe the Shawinigan was intended to be a franco unit, however never lasted past a few years due to manning.

VDQ is one of the ships my team is responsible for and I have started spending most of my days there as of late.  I would say the majority of the crew are Anglo.  There are of course members who are Franco and others who can swing both ways as needed. 

What I have been listening to and it is quite painful to hear is the poor bloody Anglo QM/BMs slaughtering French while attempting to make pipes.  I am afraid my French is very limited but I know nails on the blackboard when I hear it (I can only imagine how much it must grate on the Francos).  I am sure, honestly, I would not sound much better.  But policy is policy and all non emergency pipes are supposed to be in French so I am told. 

If the Navy was serious about VDQ being a unilingual Franco unit, then all the positions require to be made 'French Imperative' with a C-B-C profile.  Until that time comes, then VDQ will have problems with attempting to have everything done in French.

As for the message traffic being only in French, what will happen when someone isn't loaded on a career course because the unilingual Franco message traffic was missed by the person in Ottawa/School because (s)he was a unilingual Anglophone. If VDQ is messaging unilingual Anglophone units, then they should be in the language of all addresses.

Navalsnipr said:
As for the message traffic being only in French, what will happen when someone isn't loaded on a career course because the unilingual Franco message traffic was missed by the person in Ottawa/School because (s)he was a unilingual Anglophone. If VDQ is messaging unilingual Anglophone units, then they should be in the language of all addresses.

All of the recent msg traffic from VDQ I have seen was in both languages - French text followed by English text.  Obviously I am not privy to all of their traffic, just the stuff sent to the Fleet.

Back in the mid 90s they sent their message traffic in French and at the time it all ended up being shredded as no one spoke French or very little.

MARS said:
All of the recent msg traffic from VDQ I have seen was in both languages - French text followed by English text.  Obviously I am not privy to all of their traffic, just the stuff sent to the Fleet.

I've seen some recent QL4 qualification messages that were in French only.

VDQ is (un)officially a Franco unit! The only unilingual unit in the CF!
I can't speak for all but for those on the DIN, have alook at halifax.mil.ca message traffic.

Pat in Halifax said:
VDQ is (un)officially a Franco unit! The only unilingual unit in the CF!

That's not a true statement by any stretch.  There are many unilingual units in the CF.  Languages actually spoken and used in day to day operations aside, all units in the CF are officially designated as English Language Units (ELU), French (FLU) or bilingual (BLU).  For the most part it is mostly headquarters that are BLUs while other units are one or the other.

Pusser said:
That's not a true statement by any stretch.  There are many unilingual units in the CF.  Languages actually spoken and used in day to day operations aside, all units in the CF are officially designated as English Language Units (ELU), French (FLU) or bilingual (BLU).  For the most part it is mostly headquarters that are BLUs while other units are one or the other.

Example: RMC!

TDV!

uhhh.. I mean.. Ready Aye Ready!

;)

The Naval Reserve Units
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/navres/1/1-n_eng.asp

Click on your Regional Unit

All of the reserve units in Quebec are only french, except HMCS Donnacona. It is quite interesting that a fairly large percentage of the sailors from those units come out to the coasts and cannot speak a word of english. I don't understand why these units do not train their sailors in english. That way when they get on ship, they could learn a lot more, and be a more effictive member of the ship's company.

Mtl432 said:
All of the reserve units in Quebec are only french, except HMCS Donnacona. It is quite interesting that a fairly large percentage of the sailors from those units come out to the coasts and cannot speak a word of English. I don't understand why these units do not train their sailors in english. That way when they get on ship, they could learn a lot more, and be a more effective member of the ship's company.

Generally when a Franco reservist gets to us on the ship he can talk limited english. Its not that big of a problem only becoming one when the mbr refuses to speak english. I insist english is spoken only when it comes to training, exercises etc this way the mbr is forced to practice his english skills. This way it doesn't become a safety issue.

Back