• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is gambling allowed within CAF?

S. Brisebois

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to organize a playoff hockey pool for this year's NHL playoff at my Unit.  I have the intent to ask for a small amount of money from each participant and handout money prices at the end.

I have deployed to Afghanistan and I have gambled at texas Holdem Poker on several occasion.  I was always told that the military would allow betting/gambling between CAF Membesr, to up to 20$ daily.  I don't know if this is accurate or not or true at all.  I have search the DIN this afternoon, through DOADs, QR&Os and even CANFORGEN and didn't find anything on this.

Anyone knows if there is a directive or official policy on this matter through DND??

I want to run it by my C of C before I go forward with this and would like to tag the reference to my request. 

Thanks!

Provincial gaming regulations are another place to look.  Guaranteed DND regs would not go against them...between CF members and only $20 or not

As obscure as any regulation dealing with playoff pools and the like might be, there's probably an even more obscure reg out there that says CANEX gets a cut of the proceeds.  ;D

Almost every unit has some sort of secret square board(s) floating around at playoff time. We used to sit in the mess and play euchre and stuke all the time with some of the evening games going in to the hundreds of dollars, 50\50 draws all the time for any myriad of reasons. The crew rest area imported punch boards from New Brunswick. Haven't seen much different the last few years, other than no one goes to the mess anymore.

Schindler's Lift said:
Provincial gaming regulations are another place to look.  Guaranteed DND regs would not go against them...between CF members and only $20 or not

CFAO 19-1 actually says that:

CFAO 19-1 -- GAMBLING, SWEEPSTAKES, RAFFLES AND SLOT MACHINES

1.    When contrary to law, the conducting of draws, sweepstakes or games of
chance by or under the auspices of the Canadian Forces is forbidden.  In
the area of certain forms of gaming the Federal Government has chosen,
through the provisions of the Criminal Code, to require that provincial
approval by way of licence be obtained.  The CF are bound by those
provisions and must comply with applicable provincial legislation when so
required by the Criminal Code.

2.    The installation of slot machines or any similar type of gaming device
on defence establishments or in ships, institutes, messes or canteens is
forbidden.

(C)                                    1605-19-1 (DPLS)

Issued 30 Jul 82

If you want to have an organized game that is legit, most provincial gaming commissions have a license for one-time/small-time gambling.  There's a small fee, often some requirement that proceeds go to a worthy cause (mess, unit fund, regt assoc, a project, etc may fit the bill) and an after action reporting form.  Google is your friend, or they tend to be quite helpful if you call and ask.

Back