• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Irritations of this Season of Peace

1 People that are too stupid to leave their children home while they grab the last 100 things they need
2 Ignorant teenagers that think they are the only people in WEM
3 store staff that didn't really like their jobs in August but are still there and are taking it out on all shoppers now
4 Mothers or Fathers that are yelling at kids or dragging them through the mall screaming

Having weathered the Christmas shopping season at Superstore, (thanks to a lax sched), I've observed the following.
1. From December 1st to 24th (no work on Christmas), Christmas "music" will be played non-stop. Not Christmas carols, but "music". Carols I have a respect for, they are at least celebratory, and are by far the most true to the season. Christmas music is hearing a six year old Michael Jackson scream "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" twice a day. It is not out of respect, but the season - all songs played feature now religious or spiritual significance - unless one counts those soulful rehashs, err, covers.
2. What does it say about us as Canadians that our busiest shopping day all year is the day before Christmas. On the 23rd, there were 100 people waiting for the doors to open. Sure, stuff happens, emergencies and necessities and the like can prevent one from shopping earlier, but why would that apply to so many?
3. It is so nice outside, why are you shopping? Live!
4.The usurpation of the actual significance of Christmas by paranoid white know-it-alls who know nothing.

On the plus side though, the customers are happier than at any other time of the year.

Well one could argue that the *true* meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the Winter Solstice and that the Christians just stole the holiday from the pagans they were trying to convert....

of course I could be wrong :)

Wasn't the winter solstice December 21st this year? I remember it was 10 degrees outside and I celebrated by wearing a Hawaiian shirt and one of those sea-shell necklaces. Good ole tropical day on the prairies.

Yeah the Solstice happened on the 21st this year... its usually around the 21st and 22nd. 

but meh I have no idea why i'm posting this ot 0354 on New Years Day.  I need sleep and water.

I am SO sorry to bring this back up - but I was sent a link to one of my favourite sites this morning and wanted to share it.  This is specifically in reference to the "de-Christmas-ing" of the "winter holiday season".

Once again proof that more people should shut off "Fox" and Bill O'Reilly, and turn on Comedy Central and get their news and political commentary from Jon Stewart and Ben Stein.

Oh yeah, has anyone seen the documentary: "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch and his war on Journalism"?  I caught the last half - scary stuff - been trying to find a copy to buy/rent ever since.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

Back