• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IRP Benefits Expiration After Move

3green

Inactive
Reaction score
I bought and moved into my home about 6 months ago. At that time, I spoke to my RLP (now Brookfield) consultant who confirmed that my benefits would not expire until 2 years from COS date - so I could get my carpets cleaned and locks changed later (but earlier than 2 years from COS date).

We moved, got busy, long story short didn't get around to cleaning the dirty carpets until now. My 2 year anniversary is still not up, yet BF is now saying:
1. I am entitled to claim cleaning my carpets and changing locks (labor only)
2. I am not entitled to claim these items
3. I should have done this earlier - when I first moved in (yeah, thanks tips)
4. They have no time limit on when these entitlements expire, but "generally, about a week" after moving in and then they expire... Generally, sorta... mostly.

I was referred to the policy and "It's Your Move" book. I referenced the book, couldn't find anything. The policy states here:  http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/aps-paa-2009/cb-bcn-2009-03-eng.asp
    "The CF IRP for APS 2009 changed the time limitation to claim for relocation benefits on IPR to two years as per article 14.1.02

It says here: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/aps-paa-2009/chapter-chapitre-08-eng.asp#sec-08-03
    8.1.02 Additional entitlements

In addition to the benefits outlined in this chapter, CF members may be entitled to professional cleaning as per art 3.4.04

8.1.03 Time limitations

CF members may claim benefits in this chapter provided that the closing date of residence sold or purchased is no more than one year before               
    or two years after the:

change of strength (COS) date; or
    the date of the shipment of HG&E to the new place of duty
    whichever is later.

And Art 3.4.04 says:
    3.4.04 Professional cleaning

CF members may be reimbursed for cleaning expenses related to the primary and/or replacement residences.

Core benefit
    Actual and reasonable expenses up to a maximum of $100 (including taxes) each for the old and new residences.

What am I missing? Can't I still get this done before the 2 year COS date anniversary ?

Thanks for any help.

If I'm not mistaken, once you purchase a home, all claims have to be done within a certain period.  I knew about being able to defer a home purchase for up to two years from the COS date, but not to purchase a home and have stuff done months later and try to claim it.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Brookfield will win on this one.

Every OR that has a relocation section should also have a service member (or members) working as liaison staff between the OR and the relocation team.  You should address the complaint to the liaison staff.  Failing that, you can try a grievance...

http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/irpp/engraph/download_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=9&docid=158

I know it's DWAN, but you can look there for your Base's IRP rep's.

Wook

Section 2.2.01 may also apply.  It says there that members are responsible for making timely decsions regarding benefits.  I would argue that almost two years later is too late.  Chapter 8 gives you up to two years to purchase a new house, but it does not necessarily extend the timelines of everything else associated with a move.

This is how it was explained to me:

There are many "entitlements" that are attributed to your initial move on posting. The benefits associated with a home purchase would normally be attributed to your posting, as the actual purchase (certain fees / costs) is also a benefit. You can BUY a house up to 2 years after you COS date and claim the costs associated with the BUYING of said house, but you have been posted already and certain benefits only pertain to your initial move. This is why you are responsible for your move out of your Q (or apratment) yourself - it's already been covered once.

Clear as mud?

Thanks for the reply guys. I called CFSU orderly room and, to my surprise, they said "oh, we don't do anything with that. I can't help you." I asked "well, who could I talk to in the CF about the CF's IRP policy (key word being CF's), like who would you call if you had a problem?" to which I got "ahh, I don't know, you'll have to talk to Brookfield. We don't do anything with that and no one here can help you." I did try to contact the supervisor of my Brookfield consultant but got no reply. Ahh, customer service.

It wasn't even a Friday afternoon. I wish they were that nonchalant and disinterested in their jobs when I owe the CF money.

Anyway, I agree that having bought the house 6-ish months ago, it's a little bit late to get the locks changed and carpets cleaned. I'm doing it anyway on my own dime. I just find it funny that this mythical deadline of "oh, you know, about a week or so, sometimes, maybe we usually do it that way, 60% of the time every time" is not written anywhere and no-one can quote it - particularly the "professionals" who are there to help me interpret the overly complex and crazy list of rules we have to work with every few years. If they just wrote it down it would be much easier. As it stands now, by my novice legal interpretation, I am entitled.

Did you ask for the IRP Rep that was listed in the link posted in Reply #3 of this thread?

I was told I have 30 days to submit my final move claim, which include the cleaning (the cleaning day is before the unpack day).

Every base has an IRP Coordinator who is usually a Sgt/PO2 or WO/PO1 in the Orderly Room.  There certainly is one at CFSU(O) and the folks in the Orderly Room should certainly know not only that he exists, but what his name is.  The IRP Coordinator's job is to answer and help you with just these sort of questions.

I still don't think you're entitled in this case, but you deserve a better answer from the Orderly Room than the one you got.

Back