• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran Super Thread- Merged

willellis said:
How is it trolling when someone debates opinions and responds to questions regarding their posts?

Its trolling when you make arguments based on incorrect information and keeping repeating it.

Again, improper word usage. Meant to use "targets".

It is a trend with you. You should work on it. I find it odd that, as a soon-to-be NESOp, you cant properly describe this kind of thing.

SevenSixTwo said:
willellis thinks they are not a threat because they cannot wipe out Israel with a single strike. (Silly perspective)

Following the same flawed logic we could say any country without Nukes is not a threat which, would be incorrect.

That is not what I think, but thanks for telling me.

I don't believe that the two ships are a threat because based on the Israeli defence capabilities, not one of the 4 SSMs on the Alvand would hit their target. It might be optimistic or unrealistic in some eyes, but achievable in mine. The Israeli military is supplied with arms and defences by the most technologically advanced country in the world. I also mentioned the politics behind an attack. It doesn't make sense to me why they would risk an attack with one ship. The backlash from such would be disastrous for Iran. In my opinion, the Iranians are doing exactly what NATO is. Parking a ship in "our" backyard to show that they are capable of sailing around the world and are not limited to the Gulf. And I am not saying ANY country, but most without nukes are not much of an issue. Again, IMO, it's all relative to the technology.

willellis said:
It might be optimistic or unrealistic in some eyes, but achievable in mine.

USS Stark.......HMS Sheffield...........HMS Glamorgan.....

Yeah...missiles never get through. One of those built by your "most technologically advanced country in the world"

SevenSixTwo said:
I think this whole argument is just two people arguing about two completely different perspectives:

CDN Aviator says they are a threat because they can do damage to Israel and her people. (I agree)

willellis thinks they are not a threat because they cannot wipe out Israel with a single strike. (Silly perspective)
In defence of CDN Aviator....

....between this thread and the Libyan Benghazi massacre, Jim Seggie, recceguy, George Wallace, milnews.ca, GAP, Larry Strong, and myself, in addition to those who just commented negatively through MilPoints, have all tried to provide willellis with some insights into Middle Eastern politics.

Guess who's the only one in step.  ::)

Me? I'm done with it. There's an expression about not arguing with fools....

CDN Aviator said:
USS Stark.......HMS Sheffield...........HMS Glamorgan.....

Yeah...missiles never get through. One of those built by your "most technologically advanced country in the world"

Two british ships that were laid down before either one of us were born. As an Op, I am sure you know what radar systems along with current defensive Hard and Soft Kill ASMD systems we have on our ships, and how they compare to defences from the Sheffield and Glamorgan.

As for the Stark, have a read.

"Citing lapses in training requirements and lax procedures, the board of inquiry relieved Captain Brindel of command and recommended him for court-martial, along with Tactical Action Officer Lieutenant Basil E. Moncrief."

"No weapons were fired in defense of Stark. The Phalanx CIWS remained in standby mode, Mark 36 SRBOC countermeasures were not armed, and the attacking Exocet missiles and Mirage aircraft were in a blindspot of the defensive STIR (Separate Target Illumination Radar) fire control system, preventing use of the ship's Standard missile defenses. The ship failed to maneuver to bring its weapons batteries to bear prior to the first missile impact"

This was a failure in so many areas. Maybe I'm wrong, but Israel, a country always under potential for attack, might be a bit more prepared.

willellis said:
That is not what I think, but thanks for telling me.

I don't believe that the two ships are a threat because based on the Israeli defence capabilities, not one of the 4 SSMs on the Alvand would hit their target. It might be optimistic or unrealistic in some eyes, but achievable in mine. The Israeli military is supplied with arms and defences by the most technologically advanced country in the world. I also mentioned the politics behind an attack. It doesn't make sense to me why they would risk an attack with one ship. The backlash from such would be disastrous for Iran. In my opinion, the Iranians are doing exactly what NATO is. Parking a ship in "our" backyard to show that they are capable of sailing around the world and are not limited to the Gulf. And I am not saying ANY country, but most without nukes are not much of an issue. Again, IMO, it's all relative to the technology.

I think there's something you're overlooking here.  Iran is a culture that promotes suicidal attacks as a matter of course.  I have NO doubt that Ahminadinnerjacket would not hesitate to send a small expendable craft on a mission that would almost assuredly end in it's demise, if it were successful in provoking Israel to hit back, hard.  That would be provocation enough for much of the Arab/Persian world to unload on Israel.

Kat Stevens said:
I think there's something you're overlooking here.  Iran is a culture that promotes suicidal attacks as a matter of course.  I have NO doubt that Ahminadinnerjacket would not hesitate to send a small expendable craft on a mission that would almost assuredly end in it's demise, if it were successful in provoking Israel to hit back, hard.  That would be provocation enough for much of the Arab/Persian world to unload on Israel.

and conveniently take their minds off those nasty dictators running their countries....

willellis said:
Two british ships that were laid down before either one of us were born.

HMS Sheffield was a Type 42 destroyer commissioned on 16 Feb 1975...only 8 months before i was born, thanks. She sank only 7 years after its commission and thus was still at the state-of-the-art at the time.

As an Op, I am sure you know what radar systems along with current defensive Hard and Soft Kill ASMD systems we have on our ships, and how they compare to defences from the Sheffield and Glamorgan.

I am well aware of what we have, what it does and how it does it. That being said, no system is infallible.

As for the Stark, have a read.

No system is infallible.......that includes the crew using those systems.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Israel, a country always under potential for attack, might be a bit more prepared.

Being prepared does not mean "incapable of making mistakes / incapable of system failure".

Kat Stevens said:

Good point, and I agree with it. I am not sure if they would send one of their flagships (Alvand Class) to carry out the task however, even though the Navy is their smallest branch. I know that it will happen eventually, but now is not the time in my opinion.

CDN Aviator said:
HMS Sheffield was a Type 42 destroyer comissioned on 16 Feb 1975...only 8 months before i was born, thanks. She sank only 7 years after its comission and thus was still at the state-of-the-art at the time.

I am well aware of what we have, what it does and how it does it. That being said, no system is infaliable.

No system is infaliable.......that includes the crew using those systems.

Being prepared does not mean "incapable of making mistakes / incapable of system failiure".

Roger out.  :salute:

.....and now for something completely different may we try to keep this topic on Iran and all things Iranish??

02:55 PM ET
Israeli Defense Minister on Iranian warships crossing Suez Canal

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak spoke with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer today about Iranian warships crossing through the Suez Canal. This interview will air tonight on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer 5-7 p.m. ET. 

A highlight from the full interview is after the jump.
THIS IS A RUSH FDCH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

WOLF BLITZER, HOST:  The new military government that's temporarily taken charge in Egypt, they allowed these two Iranian warships to cross through the Suez Canal.  How worried are you about that?

EHUD BARAK, ISRAELI MINISTER OF DEFENSE: I'm not worried.  You know, your aircraft carriers are moving through the canal, our missile boats and submarines went through the canal.  They don't have - practically they don't have any way to avoid the Iranians moving, as long as it's a frigate and some support vessel with some cadets on it.  It's a provocation.  I don't like it but I don't think that any one of us should be worried by it.

BLITZER:  Do you know what the objective of the Iranian navy is right now in moving those two warships through the canal into the Mediterranean?

BARAK:  You know, they had to plan it before the eruption of the recent events in Egypt so it's part of a wider scheme.  If they were bringing rockets or weapons or explosives to the Hamas or Hezbollah, we would have probably act against them.  But, they're just coming with weapons with them, but they're coming with cadets, navy cadets, to visit a Syrian port.  It's a way of projecting that power, that self-confidence and certain assertiveness in the region.

You know, we are turbulent area.  But I don't see a reason to be worried.

NFLD Sapper said:
02:55 PM ET
Israeli Defense Minister on Iranian warships crossing Suez Canal

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak spoke with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer today about Iranian warships crossing through the Suez Canal. This interview will air tonight on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer 5-7 p.m. ET. 

A highlight from the full interview is after the jump.
THIS IS A RUSH FDCH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

WOLF BLITZER, HOST:  The new military government that's temporarily taken charge in Egypt, they allowed these two Iranian warships to cross through the Suez Canal.  How worried are you about that?

EHUD BARAK, ISRAELI MINISTER OF DEFENSE: I'm not worried.  You know, your aircraft carriers are moving through the canal, our missile boats and submarines went through the canal.  They don't have - practically they don't have any way to avoid the Iranians moving, as long as it's a frigate and some support vessel with some cadets on it.  It's a provocation.  I don't like it but I don't think that any one of us should be worried by it.

BLITZER:  Do you know what the objective of the Iranian navy is right now in moving those two warships through the canal into the Mediterranean?

BARAK:  You know, they had to plan it before the eruption of the recent events in Egypt so it's part of a wider scheme.  If they were bringing rockets or weapons or explosives to the Hamas or Hezbollah, we would have probably act against them.  But, they're just coming with weapons with them, but they're coming with cadets, navy cadets, to visit a Syrian port.  It's a way of projecting that power, that self-confidence and certain assertiveness in the region.

You know, we are turbulent area.  But I don't see a reason to be worried.

I won't say it...

Should be a good interview. I'm interested to see what the Israeli government will say about this after reading the above clip.

Iran seems to have diplomatic difficulties in Africa:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/irans-africa-fiasco/?print=1

Iran’s Africa Fiasco
Posted By Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi On February 25, 2011 @ 10:30 am In Uncategorized | 13 Comments

On February 16, the Nigerian Federal High Court in Lagos began the prosecution of an alleged member of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), Azim Aghajani, and a Nigerian associate, Usman Abbas Jega. They are accused of arms smuggling. This video link is in Arabic [1], but is very self-explanatory. It is of the opening day of the court proceedings.

The story is a classic, just one of many on the Dark Continent nowadays: In late October 2010, Nigerian intelligence officials discovered weapons in 13 shipping containers marked building materials in Lagos’ Apapa Port. Following an investigation, Nigerian agents learned that Iran was behind the shipment of arms. At first it was assumed that the shipment was going to the Gaza Strip, however further investigations revealed that the weapons were bound for Gambia under the supervision of a group of Nigerian officials.

The shipment had been organized through International Trade and General Construction, an IRGC front company. It was picked up from the southern Iranian port of Bandar Abbas by CMA CGM (a French shipping company) and transported to Nigeria.

After the discovery of the shipment, the Nigerian government reported Iran to the United Nations Security Council, and Gambia has cut all diplomatic ties with Tehran.

The Iranian regime now faces a diplomatic and strategic disaster, and they are trying desperately to restore at least some of their standing in Nigeria. The Iranian regime has offered the Nigerian government a bribe, and despite everything, the Nigerian government seems happy to accept it.

In a press conference in Abuja, Nigerian ambassador to Tehran Al-Haj Abubakr Chika told reporters that Iran has offered Nigeria a one billion dollar “loan” in order to help Nigeria with a trade and economic development project. Chika added: “This loan will strengthen and expand trade and economic relations between Iran and Nigeria.”

It was a great success for Nigerian diplomacy. Iran started with an offer of $150 million, which was quickly rejected. The final amount was more than six times the original offer, and Chika claimed that the new billion dollar loan was given at a 5% interest rate with an open-ended repayment period. There’s still more to come: Chika has proposed that, in order to facilitate Nigeria’s access to Iran’s financial sources, Tehran should begin establishing trade centers in Nigeria.

There is another important element in this story: weeks before the “sudden” discovery of the 13 containers, Iran secretly hung a Nigerian and a Ghanaian [2] in the horrific Vakilabad prison in the city of Mash’had.

The two were arrested for drug trafficking, a no-no in Iran as that market is cornered by the Revolutionary Guards [3] themselves. Paul Chindo, the Nigerian, was hung in early October and Akwasi Akuaba, the Ghanaian, in August.

Both the Nigerian and Ghanaian embassies in Tehran then formally demanded an explanation as to why the two Africans were executed without notifying their respective embassies, contrary to standard international practice.

Flashback to February 2008, when Iran’s muckraking in Bahrain had reached an all-time high — up to that point, anyhow. Ali Akbar Nateq-Nouri, one of Khamenei’s relic advisors, announced that Iran had sovereignty over Bahrain. In response, Morocco’s King Mohammed sent Bahraini King Hamad Bin Isa al-Khalifa a message of support, calling the Iranian remarks “absurd” and a contradiction of international law. And then in March, Morocco cut all diplomatic ties with Tehran, closing the Moroccan embassy there.

Rabat also lambasted Iran for its efforts to spread Shi’ite fervor in Morocco, which it saw as threat to the North African country’s moderate Sunni religious identity. Sunni scholars in Morocco and elsewhere also denounced what they had begun to see as Iran’s efforts to convert Sunni Muslims to Shi’ism, arguing the drive would create strife similar to the often bloody Shi’ite-Sunni divides in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, all of which had been inflamed by Iran.

Things continued to boil under the surface as policy makers in the U.S. and Europe snoozed. Then in July 2010, after the world began to see the Iranian regime for what it is, Ahmadinejad traveled to Nigeria and Mali in an attempt to forge new alliances with African states, hoping to do damage control on Iran’s growing isolation.

Attending the July 4-8 Developing Eight (D8) summit in Abuja, Ahmadinejad rallied support for his show of resistance against growing U.S.-led international pressure. Ahmadinejad launched his Africa tour with a one-day visit to Bamako to meet with Malian leaders, and though Iranian-Malian relations were never very close, Ahmadinejad has worked at further developing ties with Mali in an effort to expand African outreach.

Of the approximately 14 million people of Mali, 90% are Muslims. And at least before September 11, 2001, Mali was considered a model African secular and democratic state. Since then, however, a persistent rise of Islamism has become a matter of serious concern.

Ahmadinejad and his cronies are eager to affiliate with and milk such potential, and are creating a support system there that could be transformed into an influential power base.

During that trip, Ahmadinejad also visited Zimbabwe and Uganda. Iran now has observer status in the African Union. In February 2010, Ahmadinejad visited Nairobi, Kenya and the Indian Ocean archipelago of the Comoros with a trade delegation numbering nearly 100. While Ahmadinejad was in Nairobi, Iran and Kenya signed a memorandum of understanding on water and oil and inaugurated a direct Kenya Airways flight between the two nations.

Iran’s interest in assisting African water extends to the Sudan, where the Iranian regime has offered technical and engineering products for Sudan’s water projects.

Iran and Sudan, which are both subject to U.S. economic sanctions, have been close allies for decades and have signed a number of economic and commercial cooperation agreements. In January 2007, the two governments signed a military cooperation agreement during a visit by Sudanese Defense Minister Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Hussein to Iran.

In the volatile Indian Ocean island nation of Comoros, a presidential election just occurred. It is not clear as to where the new President Ikililou Dhoinine stands. However, prior to these elections, then-Comorian Vice President Eidi Nezam rallied for severing ties with Iran. Fratmat reported [4] of discord between the Comoran President Sambi — known as “The Ayatollah” — and his VP Eidi Nezam over relations and cooperation with Iran. Iran has been making noise about developing relations with Sambi, and though Sambi had clearly stated that Comoros is not ready for Islamic revolution [5], Nezam alleged that Sambi (who despite his Sunni background was trained in Qom by Mesbah Yazdi [6]) is handing their country over to the Shi’ites.

So in February 2009, which took Ahmadinejad to not only Comoros, but also Djibouti and Kenya, Ahmadinejad mentioned that expansion of Tehran’s relations with African countries is a “priority for Iran’s foreign policy.”

In late February, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast arrived in Harare, Zimbabwe’s capital, with a media delegation on a tour of Africa which was designed for public relations and media troubleshooting. They also traveled to Kenya and South Africa.

The regime-run Fars News Agency [7] wrote: “Tehran has prioritized promotion of its economic and political ties with the African states and the country is now considered as one of the African Union’s strategic partners.” But it is not so. On February 23, the Senegalese government announced that it was severing ties with Iran because Iranian weapons were used in Sunday’s attack by rebels of the Democratic Forces of Casamance that killed three Senegalese soldiers and wounded several others.

Iranian-African relations are now so bad that they are frequently front-page news all over the continent, and the feverish Iranian damage control seems not to have had much effect. Indeed, things keep getting worse.

Article printed from Pajamas Media: http://pajamasmedia.com

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/irans-africa-fiasco/

URLs in this post:

[1] This video link is in Arabic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKncF6UVEGc&feature=player_embedded
[2] Iran secretly hung a Nigerian and a Ghanaian: http://www.transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2762:iran-executes-nigerian-ghanaian&catid=146:diaspora&Itemid=151
[3] that market is cornered by the Revolutionary Guards: http://pajamasmedia.com../../../../../tatler/2011/02/19/aids-in-irans-holy-city-of-qom/
[4] Fratmat reported: http://fratmat.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6196:comores-iran--sambi-et-idi-le-desaccord-au-sujet-de-la-cooperation-avec-teheran-&catid=47&Itemid=132
[5] Sambi had clearly stated that Comoros is not ready for Islamic revolution: http://alkomor.com/2010/01/31/fars-africa-a-priority-for-irans-foreign-policy/
[6] Mesbah Yazdi: http://pajamasmedia.com../../../../../blog/mullahs_vs_mullahs_part_2/
[7] regime-run Fars News Agency: http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8911280646
[/quote]

I doubt this isn't too far off the mark. Cutting off the oil is on their wish list, but since Iranian oil mostly goes to European and Asian markets we will see a price spike rather than a physical shortage...:

http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/03/07/iranian-official-all-middle-east-gas-and-oil-will-be-cut-off-to-infidels-soon/

BREAKING: Iranian Official Admits Aiding Hezbollah, Says All Middle East Oil Will Be Cut Off To the West

Posted By 'Reza Kahlili' On March 7, 2011 @ 9:50 am In Politics | 43 Comments

Sepah News (the house organ of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard) reports:

On Wednesday, March 2nd, Commander of the Basij organization, Brigadier General Mohammad-Reza Naghdi spoke at a conference of specialist working groups of Basiji corps of engineers. “Seventy percent of the world’s fossil fuel reserve is under the feet of the soldiers of the Supreme Leadership and soon oil and gas fields belonging to Muslims, which is now in the hands of America will fall into the hands of the people; that will be the time when all those overlords will have sanctions put on them.” He added: “The enemy is heavily dependent on this energy and the events in the region has them quite agitated, this of course provides us with a hopeful future.”

Naghdi added: “In combating the sanctions our engineers have achieved many impressive things which has clearly frustrated the enemy. And of course our engineers in the nuclear area were shining examples as they were faced with international powers which had colluded against us in preventing this project from going forward, but they did not succeed.”

Naghdi admitted that the Basij militia was in fact instrumental in supporting Palestinians and the Hezbollah during the 22 day and 33 day wars and this has also sparked awareness among people around the world. He said: “Today Zionism is surrounded and it’s days are numbered. If we stay the course and carry out all plans as designed, the awareness that we have inspired will be the basis for the downfall of the overlords.’

Underlining the importance of the changes taking place throughout the region and especially regarding Libya Naghdi claimed: “The Americans have installed their own agent there so that he resists; this then will be a reason for the U.S. to launch a military attack. They’ve always hated the idea of the oil being in control of Muslims, therefore they conspire against all those countries.” He added: “This military resistance in Libya resembles the atrocities committed by Saddam which in fact was America’s own set up as a part of creating the basis for total control over that country. Any action against Libya would be a stupider move than the stupidity of the invasion of Iraq. There are great men in that country and they will never allow their soil to be under American control for a single day. Should the U.S. attack any of the (liberated) countries, it will suffer a blow at the hand of all the nations of Islam.

This decade is the decade of the people’s rule in our region, to push America out, destroy the Zionists; this of course adds to our responsibilities as we must protect and guarantee that all those people who have managed to free themselves, do not fall prey to the evil overlords.”

(Translation provided by “Reza Kahlili,” a pseudonym for an ex-CIA spy who requires anonymity for safety reasons. A Time to Betray, his book about his double life as a CIA agent in Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, was published by Simon & Schuster on April 6.)

Article printed from The PJ Tatler: http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/03/07/iranian-official-all-middle-east-gas-and-oil-will-be-cut-off-to-infidels-soon/

Iran's take on the unravelling situation in the ME:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/we-have-won-on-the-nuclear-front/?print=1

Iran’s Supreme Leader: ‘We Have Won on the Nuclear Front’

Posted By 'Reza Kahlili' On April 5, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Uncategorized | 15 Comments

In a recent meeting that took place between Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei and a group of his top-ranking military commanders, the nuclear matter was a focal point (Farsi link here [1]).

The supreme leader commented on the fact that the (Western) oppressors have employed all of their political, propaganda, and economic might in forcing the Islamic Republic to abandon its nuclear pursuits. Then, he said:

And now, after eight years of pressure, the Islamic Iran has won out.

The Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported that, in another part of his commentary, Khamenei discussed the shifts that have been occurring in several of the countries in the region:

The welcome developments that have started taking place in our region are as a result of Iran’s resistance and in the future there will be many more shifts in the region.

Khamenei pointed out that the victory of the Islamic revolution is an example of the resistance of Iranians who stood up to difficulties and pressures, which became a movement that was accompanied by impetus and pride. On this matter, he added:

Almost all analysts around the world are noting that that movements currently sweeping through the Middle East and North Africa are as a result of the Iranian people’s revolution.

The leader of the Islamic revolution emphasized that the victory of the Iranian people was a game changer for regional and international matters. Regarding Palestine and the elimination of the imposing presence of the oppressors, he stated:

The current movement in the region is a direct result of pent-up energies, ideas and decisions that have finally erupted and of course the steadfast and firm steps that Iranians have taken which shows exceptional progress made by the Islamic Iran.

Ayatollah Khamenei considered the Iranian nuclear issue to be a shining example of Iranian resistance. He maintained:

What is clear in view of the remarkable progress in the nuclear development is that when it comes to a contest of the wills, Iran is mightier than all of the world powers. The Islamic Republic of Iran has been in a thirty-two year long battle with the Western oppressors and not only have we not surrendered but we have in fact progressed, putting America, which was at the top of those oppressors, on the defensive to the point where they are now clearly weak and even succumbing.

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/we-have-won-on-the-nuclear-front/

URLs in this post:

[1] Farsi link here: http://www.mahramanenews.com/newsF-4488.html

How far has the rot really spread inside the regime (and how much of this is Black Psywar?):

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/have-u-s-international-spies-penetrated-deep-within-iran/

Have U.S., International Spies Penetrated Deep Within Iran?

Posted By 'Reza Kahlili' On April 12, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Uncategorized | 14 Comments

Last month, according to reports, an Iranian Revolutionary Guards-owned cargo plane was escorted to Diyarbakir airport and forced to land by a small formation of Turkish fighter jets. The plane, said to have been headed to Syria, was carrying 600 kilos of explosives, as well as rocket launchers, mortars, Kalashnikovs, and approximately $560 million. The government of Turkey claims several sources tipped them off, including one American military source, who requested that the pilot of the cargo plane be forced to land on Turkish soil.

Turkish authorities are said to have requested a list of the contents of the plane from the Iranian regime, in response to its demand for the return of its plane along with the contents. So far, the Iranian regime has not responded, likely fearing that providing such a list would be admitting that they actually dared to fly over Turkish airspace in order to deliver arms and money to Lebanon, Syria, and Hezbollah.

The question remains: How did the U.S. and international intelligence sources have access to such information? Have the most classified intelligence and security sectors of the Revolutionary Guards been penetrated? Dozens more examples have now come to light, making it clear that not only have the Revolutionary Guards been breached, but also the heart of the supreme leadership. For example:

The escapes of various nuclear experts and military commanders, such as former Revolutionary Guards’ Brigadier General Ali-Reza Asgari, who was also a former deputy defense minister.

The mysterious explosion in the suburbs of Tehran in the summer of 2008 which destroyed a Revolutionary Guards convoy carrying military equipment destined for Hezbollah in Lebanon, killing at least 15 people and injuring scores more.

A similar explosion in 2010 at Iran’s Shahab-3 ballistic missiles depot inside a Revolutionary Guards’ base located in the western Iranian province of Lurestan. More than 18 were killed and many injured along with the destruction of many missiles.

The Stuxnet virus, which infected the Iranian nuclear facilities, was most likely carried out by an asset on the ground.

Reports pointed to an informant inside the Guards after an illegal Iranian arms shipment of rockets and grenades destined for Gambia was discovered in Nigeria last October, and Quds Force commander Azim Aghajani, who was posing as a businessman, was subsequently arrested.

In just the last couple months, valuable information about Iran has helped with the confiscation of several ships and planes which were carrying arms and explosives either to Iran or from Iran to the Middle East and Africa. One such incident occurred last month: Malaysian police seized suspicious equipment found in two containers from a ship that left a Chinese port bound for Iran. The equipment was said to be for nuclear weapons.

It is important to note that China has been collaborating with the radicals ruling Iran ever since the Islamic Revolution in 1979, and today continues to help Iran with its nuclear ambitions. (I submitted several reports on precisely that to the CIA during the time I worked as a spy inside the Revolutionary Guards, and have covered the Chinese connection in my book, A Time to Betray [1].) China was continuously providing arms to the Revolutionary Guards despite the U.S. arms embargo back then — even training Guards’ members at a base in China. The Chinese also provided Silkworm missiles to Iran, which threatened the security of the Persian Gulf. China has done all of this while publicly denying the collaboration in its entirety.

The recent events have forced Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence and Security to conduct well-publicized sweeps of their hierarchy every once in a while in order to filter out the “spies” among them.

So far, not a single sector of the regime — including the parliament, the president’s office, and the supreme leader, who is the commander of the armed forces and who oversees all aspects of the regime — has questioned any of the incidents: not the forced landing of the plane in Turkey, the explosions in Iran, the impounding of all the cargo ships in international waters, the carrying of arms, or many other such episodes.

Though many brave men and women in and outside of Iran risk their lives each day to help confront this evil regime, the Iranian leaders — with their collaborations with China and North Korea — grow ever closer to obtaining the nuclear bomb. It is our responsibility to humanity and to future generations to help Iranians overthrow their messianic regime before it is too late for all of us.

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/have-u-s-international-spies-penetrated-deep-within-iran/

URLs in this post:

[1] A Time to Betray: http://www.atimetobetray.com/

The ex-CIA spy who requires anonymity wants to sell books. His book "A Time to Betray" should do well.
Book Review----> http://atimetobetray.com/praise-and-reviews/

But I think there is a lot of propaganda involved with whatever comes out of Iran.
Their supposed ultimate goal is the destruction of Israel, but that will never come
to pass, and they know full well.

Iran is a most deceitful nation that props up their stature for influential gain
wherever/however possible and aimed primarily at their real goal. That goal (I think) is North Africa and the control
of the Mediterranean sea from the deep water ports of Gibraltar to
the Gulf of Aden and everything in between including Ethiopia.

But (at this time anyway) their influence is faltering and explains very well their 'arms' shipments
directed toward organized sympathizers in other States.
Influence alone however, is of a much greater importance than mixing it together with 'arms' dealings. [Influence by force]
and the Saudis seem to be quite aware of what they are up to.

article:
Saudi Ambassador to Egypt threatens Iran with military action
Ambassador Al-Qattan (04/13/2011)
http://en.irangreenvoice.com/article/2011/apr/13/3040
---
The situation with Iran in the region is frightening. We have conveyed a powerful message to them: We will not allow any infringement on the security of the Gulf. The security of any of the Gulf states is a red line for us in Saudi Arabia.
---
---
article:
Influence Curtailed
By Mehdi Khalaji  (04/14/2011)
http://www.majalla.com/en/Features/article355801.ece
Democracy in the Arab world stands to strip Iran of its power

If the recent political movements in the Arab world lead to more free and liberal societies, this will promise the decline of Iranian influence in the region. For the current Iranian regime, democracy is no longer threatening only at home, but also abroad.
---
---

The regime seems to be loosing is grip on the organs of power. The race is on to see who will remain in control of the machinery of State (although many outcomes will be, to a large, extent worse than what we have now).

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/fear-and-loathing-in-the-revolutionary-guards/?print=1

Fear and Loathing in the Revolutionary Guards
Posted By Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi On April 14, 2011 @ 10:05 am In Iran,Libya,Middle East | 10 Comments

In an act of open insubordination, during the March 10th demonstrations in Tehran, seven members of the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) security forces refused to shoot at protesters on the streets. Arrested and jailed in Tehran’s infamous Evin prison for interrogation, they are still being interrogated as the Iranian regime’s authorities debate how to deal with them.

During the interrogations the regime’s intelligence sources have repeatedly warned the seven — identities still unknown — that they must reveal the names of the “leaders” of the organization(s) they are taking orders from, as well as disclose the names of any other member of the IRGC and Basij forces working undercover.

To that end, the commanders of the Basij have joined the interrogators and are absolutely determined to make the connection between the insubordinate guards and the authors of a recent letter [1] written to Mohammad-Ali Jafari, the chief commander of the Revolutionary Guards. The open letter, published at various sites, was penned by a number of top-ranking but anonymous members of the IRGC. In it, they announce their defiance of their orders and their refusal to treat protesters with violence.

The accused reject all knowledge of such a letter.

The commanders of the IRGC are said to be debating the proper form of disciplinary action. Where a few have suggested that firing them would be just punishment, the majority are reluctant to consider letting it go at that, certain that any and all those who refuse to follow orders must be severely punished.

But execution does not seem to be an effective deterrent. Back in August 2010, a number of the IRGC members who were arrested and detained for insubordination were drugged and then buried alive [2]. But, of course, the news didn’t stay under wraps for very long. Soon enough, it was widely reported by blogs and human rights organizations.

Mohammad Naghdi, the head of the Basij auxiliary militia, has suggested that dissenting guards’ wives and children (over 12) should also be arrested. But others in the intelligence ranks feel that the insubordinates should be severely disciplined precisely to keep it all under wraps, depriving the opposition of yet another tool to use against the Iranian regime. Jafari, for his part, has firmly maintained that direct disobedience of orders is treason — and an inexcusable offense against the holy principles of the military forces who are there to defend the Iranian regime.

With the blessings of the supreme leader, Jafari has begun to set up a task force to investigate and counteract the further spread of dissent in the ranks. The task force will be comprised of handpicked members of the Quds Force and its mission is twofold: first, to send undercover members of the IRGC or Basij to infiltrate dissenting groups, and, second, to publicize and discredit the subversives in order to discourage further defections.

It is said that in a private meeting with Khamenei, Jafari expressed his fear of a domino effect within the region given the influence of recent events throughout the Middle East and North Africa upon his ranks. Jafari stressed that news of the Libyan pilots who fled Libya in a fighter jet for Malta [3] and the defections of other Libyan military personnel [4] could reverberate throughout the Iranian military and trigger similar actions.

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/fear-and-loathing-in-the-revolutionary-guards/

URLs in this post:

[1] a recent letter: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8331625/Irans-Revolutionary-Guard-pledges-to-hold-fire.html
[2] a number of the IRGC members who were arrested and detained for insubordination were drugged and then buried alive: http://pajamasmedia.com/michaelledeen/2010/09/14/iran-sinks-into-the-muck/
[3] Libyan pilots who fled Libya in a fighter jet for Malta: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110222/local/two-libyan-fighter-pilots-defect-to-malta
[4] other Libyan military personnel: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/libya-warship-defects-to-malta.html

How extensive is the damage STUXNET did?

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/pjm-exclusive-actually-stuxnet-has-completely-paralyzed-iran%E2%80%99s-bushehr-plant/?singlepage=true

PJM Exclusive: Actually, Stuxnet Has Completely Paralyzed Iran’s Bushehr Plant

Posted By 'Reza Kahlili' On April 26, 2011 @ 12:00 am In Uncategorized | 11 Comments

Contrary to the claim made by the Iranian Center for Non-Military Preemptive Defense, the Stuxnet virus has disabled Iran’s nuclear centers.

Contrary to the claims made by Gholam-Reza Jalali — director of the Iranian Center for Non-Military Preemptive Defense — regarding the nature of the virus and Iran’s capabilities in dealing with the fallout, Stuxnet has wreaked serious and perhaps fatal havoc on the foundations of energy structure and the operating systems of the Bushehr nuclear installation. According to the Green Liaison news group [1], over the past year and a half the Bushehr plant has incurred serious damage and has lost major capabilities.

An individual involved in Iran’s nuclear activities reports that this virus was placed in the system by one of the foreign experts contracted to Iran. The virus has automatic updating capabilities in order to track and pirate information, and can also destroy the system hardware step-by-step. The internal directives programmed into the structure of the virus can actually bring the generators and electrical power grids of the country to a sudden halt, or create a “heart attack” type of work stoppage.

According to reports from within the IRGC — in cooperation with the Revolutionary Guards Intelligence organization and the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology — the Iranian Center for Non-Military Preemptive Defense has set up two computer task forces titled GOWHAR and MAAHER. The two organizations are said to have spent the last year and a half investigating the extent of the damage, however due to the complexity of the virus they have not been successful with a fix.

The Iranian Center for Non-Military Preemptive Defense is said to be actively seeking out experts in the fields of electrical and mechanical engineering, information technology, and artificial intelligence in order to analyze the virus. Switzerland — which has maintained friendly relations with Tehran’s regime — is said to be cooperating, and has experts covertly in contact with the Iranian security forces.

As such, the Iranian Center for Non-Military Preemptive Defense is attempting to produce software and an operating system which will provide immunity and security against cyber attacks, and which can withstand all damages incurred by viruses. However, all claims as to the actual production of these active national systems by the security authorities are said to be a bluff — nothing more than a pretense to mask the complexity of the virus and ultimately Tehran’s lack of engineering expertise in this area.

The Revolutionary Guards have confirmed that the Iranian Center for Non-Military Preemptive Defense was created with the cooperation of the Ministry of Defense, which conducted a study and coordinated among 77 companies in Iran. Each of the companies is involved in the field of information technology and production, and each has been called upon to make a formal presentation of their products to Iranian authorities. Though there have been major setbacks and delays, Iran is said to be relying on only Iranian experts in this matter.

Due to the extra attention on the industrial sectors of the country, all of which are stationed in southern Iran, the danger for the virus to strike other parallel industrial systems that are related to the energy sector is entirely possible.

Given the fact that Kraftwerk Union (KWU) — a subsidiary company of Siemens — and other Russian companies such as Atom Stroi Export have not responded, the Iranian regime authorities are said to be actively seeking the supreme leader’s blessing to create an alternative power station other than Bushehr. Iranian authorities had not imagined that the work stoppage created by the virus would be so extensive. And last week, the Iranian parliamentary committee stated that the Islamic Republic would probably have been better off building a new nuclear power plant from scratch instead of constantly trying to finish the decades-old Bushehr.

Bushehr was supposed to join the power grid last year, but in March the fuel was removed from the reactor due to technical difficulties. The Russian contractors building Bushehr announced on April 8 that refueling of the nuclear plant was once more underway. The head of the plant had confirmed that all necessary inspections have been carried out to complete satisfaction, and that the plant is ready for the fuel to be transferred into the heart of the reactor.

(Also see: Iran announces discovery of new cyber attack. [2])

URL to article: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/pjm-exclusive-actually-stuxnet-has-completely-paralyzed-iran%e2%80%99s-bushehr-plant/

URLs in this post:

[1] Green Liaison news group: http://www.greencorrespondents.com/2011/04/blog-post_2686.html

[2] cyber attack.: http://atimetobetray.com/blog/iran-announces-discovery-of-new-cyber-attack-2/

Back