• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR valid in PMQ

hollywood13

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Quick question.. I am on Impossed Restriction posting for around a year in single quarters right now. The single quarters on my base dont allow pets (apperently a 9 gallon fish tank is a pet), so I am thinking PMQ. Would my "free" rations and quarters still apply?

hollywood13 said:
Hello,

Quick question.. I am on Impossed Restriction posting for around a year in single quarters right now. The single quarters on my base dont allow pets (apperently a 9 gallon fish tank is a pet), so I am thinking PMQ. Would my "free" rations and quarters still apply?

How about asking your OR? they are a wealth of information on subjects like this. But I'm sure someone will be along to give you an answer.

Short answer, you will have to pay for the PMQ as perfectly suitable accomodations are available to you at no cost. The choice to reside in PMQ's, and to obtain pets (even fish), is yours thus the cost responsibility. You can however retain Rations from the Mess as per usual and will not see anymore monies then you are presently.

However as stated above, talk to your BOR as every location has SQ & PMQ limitations due to availability and some exceptions to provisions sometimes exist. Don't expect it though.

some PMQs can be shared by several singles and in that context, you may still get R&Q

As stated above..... Ask  - you will definitively not get anything if you do not ask.

Here in Toronto, we only have about 50-60% occupancy rate in the PMQ's.  We also have about 100 people in hotels who are on IR.  We also have a a bunch of single people posted to Toronto that a) can't afford a PMQ and are forced to live in tiny expensive apartments.  I actually completed a business case a couple of years ago on this point.  One option was to convert PMQ's into single quarters/quarters for IR members, another option was to build a set of single quarters with small kitchen suites (currently mess does not operate 24-7), other option was the status quo. 

Each option has it's +/-, however in my study, construction single quarters would pay for itself in 7-8 years.  I felt that this was the best option.

TH...
Many bases allow groups of singles to group occupy a PMQ - if any are available.
If 40% of the GT PMQs are vacant, I don't know why the CF hasn't done that there - unless they need the 40% availability to look after the rotation of personnel.

IIRC in Australia, they have adressed the issue of quarters differently.  They tender out a contract with a developper for xx units.  They guarantee 100% occupancy for XX years & the developper looks after the Mtce to boot.  At the end of the contract (xx years) they can either tender out for new construction or sign a new contract with the same developper to continue use of the same accomodations....

Am told it works quite well.

Back