• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence branch..

You may just be going downstairs, but we'll miss you So-Loh!

Like with any decision you need to make an informed one.  Yes Int Ops go overseas alot but in reality so does every other MOC.  Sup Techs, Cooks (always good to have them), medics, whatever.  Sig Ops are overseas just as much as anyone in the CF and in some cases even more, often tours may only demands specific trades. Central Africa in 1999 was mostly a communications mission but involved all the support that any mission requires.  Including a small intelligence cell, supply,and all the the other ad ons.  I am not a Int Op but have worked with many over the years in various situations.
  These days my friend every trade is a busy one.  Int, Sigs, Cbt Arms are thinner than some of the other MOC's but they are all busy when you talk purely Army ....................... look around, be sure of what you want, then go for it.

Since Cyloh hasn't been on here in awhile, and I saw him this morning, I'll let y'all know, he's remustered Int, and yeah, not much else to say...he made his decision, and is more than happy with his new unit!

I'm just curious, from what I read, 111s and 82s go on a fair amount of tours, but do they travel to places where there isn't a major Canadian operation, say to an embassy?

I'm pretty sure I remember that question was addressed in these forums somewhere a while back... Maybe you can dig up the answer.. I'm too lazy. :p

Ahh yes, Gilligan was right. I've joined 6 Int Coy in Vancouver. The way it's run is so completely different than things back at 744 Comm regiment. I showed up and it was just me and one other guy and then the two instructors. 2 people showing up for work...I never thought it would happen but I guess when it comes to a small unit like an int platoon, everything is at a much much smaller scale. The stuff I learned on that day was really interesting, so the myth that int does nothing is completely false. I think the toughest part for me will probably be vehicle recognition and symbol recognition. Oh and I was also given a 300 page OPFOR manual to memorize so that might be a bit of a challenge too. But the lectures went from Remote sensing to Afghan house searching to aerial photo interpretation and they were great. Just like how computer nerds(for lack of a better word) and electrical engineering students are drawn to Comms, I think anyone who studies or has an interest in geography would find Intelligence a really good trade.

I've looked in all of the intelligence threads and have found nothing specific about going places other than tours.  I have found that every thread has at least one person that says its not like James bond. I'm not looking for that. I'm a university geography student that is planning on taking air photo interpretation and remote sensing courses. Judging from what I've read, I would like the job, but since there are no int coys near me I have no way of finding information out other than this website

I've heard reg force Int is hard to get into. I'm currently signed on for infantry but I'm seriously hoping to transfer to intelligence, though I've heard you need a minimum of 2 years in the forces to be considered. On the other hand, I've heard that's a pretty flexible requirement. Related info - I'm doing an honours BA in political science, done IAP, doing botc this summer, and have another year of university before I graduate.

Any ideas?

Glorified Ape - Right now the Int trade is SCREAMING for new Int Ops and Int officers, we are so short-handed (one of those "critically" short trades).  However the school currently cannot handle the required number of courses that would bring us up to a semblance of being sufficiently manned.  You did hear right on the time-in requirement, although we have been known to make exceptions for those with various in high demand skills (languages, etc).  Do your time in the Infantry and see the BPSO in couple of years.  if you still want into Int then, and you have a good pers file, you should be selected for OT.

WO :cdn:

from darkness lite said:
Glorified Ape - Right now the Int trade is SCREAMING for new Int Ops and Int officers, we are so short-handed (one of those "critically" short trades).   However the school currently cannot handle the required number of courses that would bring us up to a semblance of being sufficiently manned.   You did hear right on the time-in requirement, although we have been known to make exceptions for those with various in high demand skills (languages, etc).   Do your time in the Infantry and see the BPSO in couple of years.   if you still want into Int then, and you have a good pers file, you should be selected for OT.

WO :cdn:

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, thank you! It's been hard to find info (and yes, I've looked) but it always helps to hear someone in the trade. I don't have any foreign language capabilities so I guess it'll have to be the 2-year wait.

Is it possible to tranfer CT from R011(Reserve Armd Crewman) to 111(Reg)?

Love793 said:
Is it possible to tranfer CT from R011(Reserve Armd Crewman) to 111(Reg)?

Anything is possible, however that route is highly unlikely (I'd guess 98% unlikely).  If you want to do a component transfer into Int, you have a better chance if its from a R111 unit. The other option is to CT into a regular 011 unit then OT from there.  Sorry.

WO

I thought you needed 4 years to OT in reg force to INT. Everyone asking me why I didn't go Sig Int since I know 3 languages ( English, French and Russian ) but I still love being a Sig. Although I would like to go INT if it's possible after 2 years.

meni0n said:
I thought you needed 4 years to OT in reg force to INT. Everyone asking me why I didn't go Sig Int since I know 3 languages ( English, French and Russian ) but I still love being a Sig. Although I would like to go INT if it's possible after 2 years.

Yes, the norm is you must be a trained Cpl to enter INT, however we have accepted Pte(T) on occasion, although they normally have at least 3 years in. However, exceptions (and they are EXTREMELY RARE) have been made.  This mainly applies to Direct Entry Officers (like I said, it is RARE), if you are an NCM you'll most likely have to wait.  In my opinion, we generally get a better Int Op that way.

Hi! I am actually looking for some information and I'm doing my best to get it from every perspectives. I am currently a SigOp with already2 years completed in my first contract. I found out about the Int trade and it really interrests me. But I am wondering if i'd be better going IntOp or IntOfficer. I just didn't have the time to call a BPSO because I'm on EX but if I could get some opinions here it would be nice.

Thank you!

I've looked into a lot of topics on Army.ca, as well as the recruiting website and several intelligence websites.  I'm wondering though the difference...if any, between those that do Army intel and those that do Navy intel.  Obviously postings are different, Naval I'm sure would be working either in Ottawa, Athena or Trinity while Army would work more in Toronto, Winnipeg, Ottawa, etc... or maybe I'm totally wrong.  Is the overall job different between the two? 

Navy Int, started off as Naval Control And Guidenance of Shipping or NCAGS, at least for the reserve side it did. That's about all I know about them  ;D

Having worked in Marlant Int, pre Trinity, all I am willing to say is that Naval Int tracks ships, supports fisheries, provides support to deployed ships, and briefs Commanders. The focus is obviously Maritime. The Area of Ops very large indeed.

Army Int, again depending on where one is working would be much more mission focused, with a "smaller" Area of Ops, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps.

E Tenebris Lux.

Back