• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

INT OP anyone?

MP 811

Inactive
Reaction score
Ive gone through this section and read all the posts about getting into the INT trade and whatnot, but I was wondering if there were any INT OPS on the forums who could pm me for a few questions.  Thanks!

Hello,

May be an obvious answer, but are you looking to get into reg force int or reserve? I may be able to answer a few of your questions...

Tanner.

I'm looking into pres int op...

Do I have to be trade qualified in something else, before I can go on an int course or can I go with only SQ? Furthermore, once qualified as a reserve int op, is it possible to CT to the reg force as an int op, just at reduced rank and such? I'm contemplating this because the trade seems interesting, and all my teachers say I have good writing and analytical abilities. I'll be 18 before I can make the jump, is my age going to be a negative?

Cheers.

Off the recruiting website

Entry Plans: The Intelligence Operator occupation is usually available through Occupation Transfer. Preferred candidates should have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. Knowledge of other languages, multi-cultural experience and operational experience are considered an asset.

Other applicants to be considered are:

Civilian personnel who have formerly served in the CF

Component Transfer applicants who are re-enrolling or transferring from the Reserve

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=111&bhcp=1

Generally, you need four years in a trade before they will look at you...

popnfresh said:
Even for the reserves? I was told that I could apply off the street for that, but it also caught me as being a little too good to be true. Do most int ops hold post secondary? I have the marks to go to school, so I will if it helps me.
Thanks again.

Ah, thats a little more difficult - have you tried talking to an Intelligecne office in your area yet?

No, I talked discreetly to a person at work who is an ex int op, and all they could say is I can probably get into the reserve INT stream, but that regs would be another story at my age. Essentially I'm trying to figure out about work/education, ideally i want to attend post secondary, concurrently serving is res int. If not, I'll just go reg infantry or something and wreck my knees for 3 years  8)

So you suggest I call the local int unit here?

Yes, I do.  I know a couple of guys who transfered directly from reserve Int to regular force Int, but I dont recall the legnth of time they put in to qualify and the types of courses they had to have first.  But your local Int office would have the most current info.  If you are uncertain who to call, PM me and I can point out who would be closest to you.

You can easily google the nearest one........say this one:

http://www.army.dnd.ca/LFCA/2INT/Main.shtm 

When I taught basic last year, we had a few Int Ops on it. They did same entry as everyone else.

*Note it was a PRes course.

popnfresh said:
No, I talked discreetly to a person at work who is an ex int op, and all they could say is I can probably get into the reserve INT stream, but that regs would be another story at my age. Essentially I'm trying to figure out about work/education, ideally i want to attend post secondary, concurrently serving is res int. If not, I'll just go reg infantry or something and wreck my knees for 3 years  8)

So you suggest I call the local int unit here?

I keep hearing people who say the infantry will wreak your knees. Is it just a given that 100% of people that go infantry will have messed up knees? If its really that bad how do you retain people in a trade basically designed to mess you up.

AverageJoe said:
I keep hearing people who say the infantry will wreak your knees. Is it just a given that 100% of people that go infantry will have messed up knees? If its really that bad how do you retain people in a trade basically designed to mess you up.

I was partly kidding, only basing it on the fact that my grandpa had f'ed knees by Sgt/WO. Bad knees are probably lower on the worry list for the infantry these days...they have bigger things to deal with.  :salute:

Part of the problem was the former practice of not allowing soldiers to wear knee protection, an issue which has been corrected nowadays...

Well I'll let you guys know how it goes for my transfer goes, from what I've dug up there are alot of deployments for INT, so im excited.

Im just playing the waiting game as well.  And I can confirm through talking with some of the folks on here that INT OPS are deployed on almost every mission.

Just to resurrect this old thread, after waiting what seemed like forever, I went down to the recruiting centre today to check the status of my CT and found out that I was selected for INT OP with training begining in Kingston in Oct.

and I got 187 days incentive to my next IPC!

They have now on a selective basis taken ROTS applicants for Int Op, but you've really gotta have something. This is the PRes world, no clue about the RegF.

Back