• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Instability In Pakistan- Merged Thread

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Link to fol, just getting this on CNNI now.

Looks like the SHTF.

More to fol I am sure

Ok, Discuss....

-------------------

www.cnn.com

From CNN

Reports: Benazir Bhutto dies
Former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has died, according to media reports. Bhutto's husband was quoted by Pakistan's GEO TV as saying she suffered a bullet wound to her neck after a suicide bombing that killed at least 14 supporters at a rally today. developing story

-------------------

Well, its 2338h here, and I am off to bed.

Looks like another phucked up day overthere, and lets keep it over there!

Cheers,

Wes

Mod note: adjusted title.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071227/pakistan_sharif_071227/20071227?hub=TopStories

It was just a matter of time considering the foolishness going on in that country.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071227/pakistan_sharif_071227/20071227?hub=TopStories

It was just a matter of time considering the foolishness going on in that country.

Too right! I am not suprised, they've nearly got her before. Now its done, and I would imagine this will cause a fair bit of 'fall-out' in that neck of the woods, and will bring out more violence I am sure. That hellhole is unstable as it is, and ya, they got the nukes.

Looks like democracy took a kick in the balls tonight, and the bad guys are smiling.

She was educated in the west, was pro-democratic, was an ally of the west, a woman in a culture where they put women at the bottom of the food chain, and she has paid with her life. I wonder if the upcoming election will be cancelled or postponed?? 160,000,000 people, and a country on the fringe of imploding. Lots there do bat for the otherside, and thats scary.

Now I am off to bed, but with all the rain, and this bold bloody green tree frog barking out commands right outside the window, its pointless to sleep, but got to love the rain.

Cheers,

Wes

Seeing as they missed when she got back with the bombing it was only a matter of time.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Seeing as they missed when she got back with the bombing it was only a matter of time.

Regards

Meanwhile here on Bribie Island, its raining, and my beer has since got warm, here on a sticky wet tropical night.

Cheers,

Wes

AQ/Taliban finally got her. It will certainly cause chaos which is a secondary goal of the terrorists.

tomahawk6 said:
AQ/Taliban finally got her. It will certainly cause chaos which is a secondary goal of the terrorists.

Or possibly their ally Musharraf.  He's hardly an innocent, and far from a democrat.

No good will come of this weather it was AQ/Taliban or Musharraf. 

Weather Pakistan stays the course with Musharraf, plunges into civil war between all the factions vying for power (Bhutto's people, Musharraf's people, AQ/Taliban)  or becomes more unstable due to AQ/Taliban activities, this will only strengthen AQ/TB's hold on the country, and give them a safer haven in Pakistan. 
Civil war between the party supporters will only take their eyes off of the AQ/TB who are slowly gaining support deeper into the country... which is why I say no good will come of this. (AQ/TB with nukes... scary thought)
More instability in Pakistan = more instability in Afghanistan

But I guess all we can do is sit back and watch.

Wasn't expecting to wake up to this today, even though I expected it to happen. Guess we will have to watch and waite, waite for something we may never expect.

Not good in any context.

We should be careful not to shoehorn the muslim extremists in Pakistan into the AQ/Tb shoe. There are so many allying factions in the country that no one of us has enough info to determine which faction is responsible. Pashtun tribes alone make up around 20 tribes in the NWFP area, and as we know not all support teh Tb or AQ.

It is also in Iran's and China's best intrest to have a destabilized Pakistan to keep the US off balance.

Quite a surprise to hear of an assassination of such a high level figure at this time of year.  Regarding AQ/Taliban, agree with St. Micheals, sounds like more of an extremist/fanatic act instead. 

No good will come of this weather it was AQ/Taliban or Musharraf.

Sad sad news.  I'd been hoping it would never come.

I worry that the "war on terror" just got a little harder
and a little longer today.  I would bet that it's a sad day in India too.

Regards all.

WRT Jammer's Civil War comment, my concern is that the "modernized" moderate, predominantly punjabi and eastern faction that supported Bhutto - lawyers and merchants - may not be up to the fight.  They have relied on the Army to keep them safe from the Hillmen while they make money.

Now they are threatened by both the Hillmen and the Army.

The Punjabis have been there before:

The founder of Sikhism was Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, (1469-1538) who was born in the Punjab area of what is now Pakistan. At Sultanpur, he received a vision to preach the way to enlightenment and God. He is responsible for the saying "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim" which has since become one of the pillars of Sikhism. He taught a strict monotheism, the brotherhood of humanity. He rejected idol worship, and the Hindu concept of caste. Guru Nanak and Panth (his followers) later built the first Sikh temple at Katarpur.

A succession of nine Gurus (regarded as reincarnations of Guru Nanak) led the movement during the period from Guru Nanak's death until 1708. At that time, the functions of the Guru passed to the Panth and to the holy text, considered the 11th Guru.

Mogul emperors ruled a large area of South Asia from the 16th century until the end of the 18th century. They attempted to convert the Sikhs to Islam, but were unsuccessful. It has been said of one of the Sikh Gurus (considered by many Sikhs to have been the last guru) that "Had there been no Guru Gobind Singh, the entire country would have gotten circumcised" i.e. been converted to Islam.

The Punjab was the battleground between the Muslim Moghuls of Kabul and the Hindus across the Indus.  The Sikhs were the outgrowth of the local Punjabis that said a pox on both their houses and determined to defend their local "zone of tolerance" by resolving to use the steel symbolized in the Kirpan that the carry in place of the Crucifix.

The Punjab, divided by India and Pakistan in 1947 and, according to the Sikhs and many others, cleared of Sikhs, is the area that the Sikhs want as Khalistan.  Punjabi lawyers may not be up for the fight but as I think about this, perhaps the Punjabi Sikhs across the border in India would be.....and then the nastiness begins.

tomahawk6 said:

Or perhaps ISI. They've been known to act independently of the government and Musharif before.

I bet a yrs pay it was extreme islam which did the hit. It smells of AQ/Taliban. I Dont think the ISI would have a bar of this. Thats all getting conspiracy ideas 'mode', IMHO.

I do not know why she did not have hired some up-armoured SUV's, as she was totally soft skiined in that climate of of hatred, intimidation, threats and attacks. If she was in an up-armoured SUV, she'd be alive right now. Normally these can be provided worldwife for $600-800 USD per day. I am sure she could have afforded that for the interim period she was out campaining. Stupid move.

CNN claims it was one of Mr Kalashnikov's toys which did her in, then the shooter PBIED'd himself on top of that!

This incident will truly rock the boat within Pakistan's borders and around the world.

Another secuirty nighmare might be on the horizon, with the who's who of international guests attending her funeral, which will be within 24 hrs of her murder.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
I do not know why she did not have hired some up-armoured SUV's, as she was totally soft skiined in that climate of of hatred, intimidation, threats and attacks. If she was in an up-armoured SUV, she'd be alive right now. Normally these can be provided worldwife for $600-800 USD per day. I am sure she could have afforded that for the interim period she was out campaining. Stupid move.
Well, CNN said that Musharraf said she couldn't have them. But it seems that she was up, waving to the people, while out of the sunroof.

Wesley  Down Under said:
CNN claims it was one of Mr Kalashnikov's toys which did her in, then the shooter PBIED'd himself on top of that!
Pakistani News are saying that it was a pistol, and they showed it on Fox news, all around blood. Now, I am no weapons expert, but it looked sort of what I know as a Glock.

Wesley  Down Under said:
This incident will truly rock the boat within Pakistan's borders and around the world.
Very much so. Hopefully it won't cause too much fuss in Afghanistan.

Mike Baker said:
But it seems that she was up, waving to the people, while out of the sunroof. 

Not the wisest of moves for someone who knew they were a likely target of attack...

Back