• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insomnia

Brigada

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey
I'm a teenager and sometimes have problems falling asleep, because i'm too stressed after school and stuff... i don't take any pills or anything, but will the CF have anything againts that (on the medical) ?
Ty

No, but if you are that stressed about school, etc to the point where you can't sleep now, it does not bode well with your ability to handle the stressors of be in the CF

have you been diagnosed with insomnia?

Its easy to get stressed about marks & schoolwork as you wrap up HS, especially if you have a lot riding on them. Try planning your work week better & get assignments done ahead of the due date. Lay off the coffee and get regular PT.

I don't know how Basic is now, but at one time, by the time your day was done, falling asleep was not a problem. Unless of course, you pulled the 03:00 - 04:00 fire watch.

GINge! said:
have you been diagnosed with insomnia?

Its easy to get stressed about marks & schoolwork as you wrap up HS, especially if you have a lot riding on them. Try planning your work week better & get assignments done ahead of the due date. Lay off the coffee and get regular PT.

No, I haven't been diagnosed with insomnia, although the doctor gave me some pills for '' extreme situations before a school exam '', the first and only time I went to see him . Not as a treatment, only when I really can't stop thinking about the next day. I haven't received any psychological treatment or help. I'm jogging every day and manage to control my thoughts before sleep.

These are ideas I passed on to aircrew when I worked at CFSSAT and taught about sleep physiology.  You might want to try:

a) Writing down a list of things you "need" to do for the next day. That way, you're not worrying about forgetting to do them while trying to fall asleep.

b) Have a look at the bed and pillow you sleep with.  You spend about a third of your life sleeping, so throw a little more money in your sleeping surface than you throw into a pair of running shoes.

c) Get into a steady routine that you follow before going to bed...whatever works for you.  For example, brush your teeth, read a book for fifteen minutes in an easy chair, drink a glass of water and get into bed.

d) If you have a TV in your bedroom, get it out of there.  The bed should only be used for sleeping, and that other thing, and I don't mean making small forts.  (Body associates the prone position with sleeping, which is why people get tired watching a TV from the bed.)

e) When you go to sleep, relax the body and clear your head of any thoughts.  If you find that you can't clear your head, concentrate on saying a single word repetitively when you exhale...I use "sleep".  You can also try concentrating/relaxing...make your body numb from the toes and then gradually move up your legs, truck, etc.

f) If you don't fall asleep within about 20 or 30 minutes, get up and do something else.  Lying in bed, thinking about how you can't sleep isn't going to help matters.

g) Avoid taking any caffeine drinks within four to six hours of the time you want to go to sleep.

h) Stick to a regular sleep schedule.  That means *not* sleeping in on the weekends.  What a lot people end up doing is taking an hour+ long nap when they get home from work/school, which keeps them from getting sleepy at around 2300 hrs.

Hopefully something in that list can help you out.

Back