• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insomnia Cures

Celticgirl

Inactive
Reaction score
It's 1 a.m. and I am wide flipping awake...again.  :mad:  Let's hear some cures / remedies for insomnia. Anyone? I'm willing to try anything so long as it isn't illegal or immoral...on second thought, scratch that last bit...anything goes at this point!

Help.  :boring:

Heh... welcome to my world.

I rarely get a good night sleep, and when I do it's because I've either done something during the day to absolutely exhaust myself (which is rare) or I've passed out from drinking... which isn't really a good night sleep.

I would suggest milk.  I'm trying the non-alcoholic remedy tonight (since I'm too wound up to sleep right now... as always); Milk and natural sleep aids (or so the bottle says).

If that doesn't work, try getting away from the computer or TV; these tend to keep your mind working and the refresh rate on most monitors acts as a stimulant and tends to keep your mind active.

Or, you can try reading a really boring book... Might I suggest the Lord of the Rings? Puts me to sleep in no time.

Your final non-alcoholic option would be the one my dad used on me when I was a kid; rubber mallet (if you don't have one, a phone book and a hammer work just as well.)  ;D

Milk and a book...hmmm, it's worth a shot. I don't think I'll try the mallet, just because I would be the one person to manage to injure myself with an otherwise harmless object.  :blotto: And the sleep aids, well, to be honest, I'm afraid to take *anything* this close to getting in. It took me 3 months just to get over the last medical hurdle and be declared medically fit and I plan to keep it that way!

My cat thinks it's just grand that I am still up. She's sitting next to me chirruping like we are having a nice little middle-of-the-night conversation.  ::)

Regular exercise.

A real hot shower (cooling down afterwards has a sedative effect).

Once in a while I will use melatonin, available at most pharmacies.  I am a reformed Nyquil junkie - man, that stuff just knocks me out.

They say that you need to practice "sleep hygiene", meaning that if you're rolling around in bed awake and pissed off, you should just get up and go do something else.  

TV in bed wrecks my sleep - I just can't stop flipping channels.

Personally, nothing makes me feel more tired than following my wife around through a fabric store or out shopping for clothes for her.

I would suggest setting up your home to look like a fabric store, then have your wife take you around and force you to look at the fabrics, ribbons, etc.  and you'll have an overwhelming desire to have a nap.  Problem solved.

If you can't sleep and you're past the point of regular exercise or sleep aids, I suggest doing something menial that requires very little thought. Good case was when i had insomnia coming out of the field after workingthe late shift for 2 months, I would be wide wake at 2 in the morning with 0730 PT fast approaching. What i found helped was folding my laundry over and over again (I'm not insane, I swear  :-[ ). I guess just the repetitive movement and limited use of brain power vs muscular power did the trick... and I'd be in dreamland very soon afterward. 

Then again, whatever works right?

Just my 2 cents.

I've been having insomnia issues ever since I got posted from Pet where I was working a week of days and a week of nights.  Now I'm back to regular hours but can't seem to adjust and it's been a year.

Seems for about six months after I get back after deployment I have sleep issues.  I should be sorting myself out now, but we've got a new addition to the family - that does nothing for sleep patterns, except disrupt them.

When I was shift working (shopping channel in the off season) baseball would always put me to sleep (sleep timers on the TV are a must), I guess the olympics are almost the same thing, unless its beach volleyball.

I've had sleep "issues" off and on for years, usually created by stress at work (not from the job but from the people I worked for).  Some of the things I've tried (or have had suggested to me):

- no TV or mind games (crossword puzzles), laying in bed reading a book is fine

- a brisk walk, weather permitting, preferably after supper which burns off excess energy yet still gives your body time to relax before bed

- turn your clock away from you so you can't see the time (this is so that you don't realize how long you are awake)

- hot showers aren't good, try a warm shower or bath about an hour before bed, then have the milk (warm if you like)

- I use Valerian instead of prescription or OTC sleep aids.  Take one about 45 minute before going to bed

Believe it or not, I found the "Six O'clock News" to be a cure.  There was nothing I could do to stay awake when I sat down to watch the news after a days work, even if they announced, during their opening, some article they were going to cover that was of particular interest to me. 

You do have to be careful with insomnia - sometimes it is a side effect of sleep apnea. Some other signs are sleepy/drowsy during the day (go figure), snoring, waking up throughout the day, stop breathing while sleeping (this is what wakes you up although most do not realize it and assume it must have been some noise), change in mental ability - ie concentration, perfomance of work, walk and chew gum at same time, do not dream, wake up feeling just as tired or even more tired, personality changes are common - the good time person becomes a grump, etc. Sufferers of sleep apnea of course have an elevated risk of having accidents (fall asleep at the wheel), family issues as they are always drowsy and fall asleep for short periods during the day due to exhaustion from lack of proper sleep.

If apnea is not a problem then a recommend a good round of sex - always worked for me.

Try 5mg of melatonin a half-hour before bed. You can get it at any pharmacy, it's non-addictive, perfectly safe – it's the stuff your body produces to induce sleep and doesn't come with a safety seal or poison warnings– and a bottle of 100 tabs costs about $6 at a drugstore. I swear by the stuff, and unlike other sleep aids, you get actual sleep, not a drug-induced stupor.

I am glad I have found this thread.  Tuesday night, all proud, I went to bed at 8 o'clock and woke up at 6AM. A rare event as it is, last night was horrible as I sit awake at 12:37.  Up again at 6 AM and wondering how tonight will be.

I live alone, no pets, no TV in my bedroom, I don't put headphones on for fear of not hearing my car alarm or someone breaking in.  I have yet to ever try any sleep aids but might just try the melatonin.  My doc (on the after tour checkup) suggested a half hour of exercise everyday and a very strict sleep schedule.  Go to bed even if not tired.  I haven't been successful with that.

Have you checked or had your bodies internal clock checked? It may sound dumb but you could be trying sleep when your body wishes to be awake and vice versa. I used to stay up all night for weeks on end till i figured out i'm on Scottish time.

I found working afternoons and night shift we're far easier than day shift, which my body thought was a good time to sleep.

Cheers.

I'm in the Army.. THEY tell me what my clock is.. no luck with that one..

Thanks for the ideas. Sex might work, but my fiance is in another province and I don't think he'd be okay with me using a stand-in, no matter how tired I am. ;)  I'll have to read up on melatonin and inquire about it at the drug store. If it's a safe alternative to barbiturates, I may give it a try. Stress and worry is wreaking havoc with my sleep these days.

I took Piper's suggestions of drinking milk and reading a book last night and finally fell asleep around 3 a.m. Could be worse, I guess. I have a feeling tonight I'll be wrestling with insomnia again, so I'll be turning off the puter shortly and pulling out my book in the hopes that I can get to sleep a little earlier than 3 a.m. this time.

At least I know I'm not suffering alone!  ;)

The place I go for most lay person medical questions. 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sleep/HQ01387

10 tips for better sleep

Celticgirl said:
Sex might work, but my fiance is in another province and I don't think he'd be okay with me using a stand-in, no matter how tired I am. ;) 

Batteries?  >:D  Surely he's cool with that!

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Batteries?   >:D  Surely he's cool with that!

I'm sure he would be "cool" with it...he'd probably want me to turn my webcam on!  >:D

Back