• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Injured on Class A Duty - Compensation and Benefits

Hello all,

Ok so heres the short story(no ranting) im currently serving in the reserves and just as summer started i ended up getting hurt on duty which resulted in me being off work the whole summer (3 months). Sad thing is i havent gotten paid those 3 months after i was specifically told i would be compensated for time off work (civilian)  my unit is extremely incompetent and wont handle my file in a timely manner and the result i am now serverly in debt. What i am now getting to is if anyone knows a number i can call for this type of issue because i am desperate to get what i am entitled to have. I tried looking for dnd numbers but the one that was closest to my issue is not in service (go figure)

ONLY SERIOUS RESPONSES, i dont need any Smart alecs only responses with solutions

Thank you

Kv-super said:
im currently serving in the reserves and just as summer started i ended up getting hurt on duty

For reference, see also,

Just a question 
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/125790/post-1488630.html#msg1488630
OP: Kv-super "Just a question about an injury during dp1 infantry mod 2."

Reserve Force Compensation 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/114224.0
OP: "Class A reservist; initial injury on class A"

Not having all the details, I would say that you would normally be compensated under CBI 210.72 (Reserve Force Compensation), or GECA (Government Employees Compensation Act).  Look at the following links:

https://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits-ill-injured-deceased/guide.page

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/health-safety/compensation/geca.html

Unfortunately way more common than it should be.  RFC will give you reserve pay for the period and there is an entire book of paperwork that has to be completed at the unit (maybe why you have an issue, some staff don't want to do their job in taking care of people).  If the unit is not coming through I suggest you contact your local JPSU for assistance as they can usually help (assuming the chain of command is aware of you issues and you have talked to the C Clk).

I am guessing you were not on Class B at the time of injury.  If you were then the unit messed up as they should have continued your class b and employed you there while they processed your RFC.  I always appreciate the extra free help from these cases.

Of course there is always the redress route, sometimes even the mention of one gets action.

Lumber said:
He wasn't drinking; he had just left the ship.

Then the decision from higher was wrong.  He was in that location solely because of his military employment.  Refusing compensation for an injury due to his military employment is wrong.

dapaterson said:
Then the decision from higher was wrong.  He was in that location solely because of his military employment.  Refusing compensation for an injury due to his military employment is wrong.

Well... he was on his way to drinking...

So are we saying that any time a member does PT, they could claim it was for FORCE Test preps, and demand Class-A pay since they were "on-duty", and if injured, apply for RFC?

Where do you draw the line? Some Class-A member who already gets high-gold/platinum on the FORCE test is on his 2nd work-out of the day. Clearly, he doesn't need to be working out this hard to simply pass the FORCE test. Is his own self-directed PT really part of a "program" to enable him to pass the FORCE test, thereby giving his PT a military nexus?

Lumber said:
Well... he was on his way to drinking...

So are we saying that any time a member does PT, they could claim it was for FORCE Test preps, and demand Class-A pay since they were "on-duty", and if injured, apply for RFC?

Where do you draw the line? Some Class-A member who already gets high-gold/platinum on the FORCE test is on his 2nd work-out of the day. Clearly, he doesn't need to be working out this hard to simply pass the FORCE test. Is his own self-directed PT really part of a "program" to enable him to pass the FORCE test, thereby giving his PT a military nexus?

The "deeming" element of CBI 210.72 exists not to pay Res F members, but to provide them with coverage if injured when exercising.  But yes, if a member is injured while exercising and unable to work, then it is entirely reasonable for the CAF to compensate them until such time as they can resume employment.

dapaterson said:
The "deeming" element of CBI 210.72 exists not to pay Res F members, but to provide them with coverage if injured when exercising.  But yes, if a member is injured while exercising and unable to work, then it is entirely reasonable for the CAF to compensate them until such time as they can resume employment.

And I wonder what VAC would say...

Back