• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Info on OPMEs

C17 Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some info on 3 particular OPMEs.

HIE 275 Survey of Technology, Society and Warfare;
POE 206 The Canadian Forces and Modern Society: Civics, Politics and International Relations; and
PSE 402 Leadership and Ethics 

The RMC site does not give much information other than course description. Specifically, I want to know how many papers there are, paper length, and whether or not there is a final exam at the end. Also, are the on-site courses worth taking or is it better to do the distance version?

If anyone has recently taken the above courses and can shed some light, please reply here. Thanks  :cdn:

Hi there - I work form RMC and admin the online courses for OPME ... so I will try to help you out here -

Registration for the Summer session starts again in April I believe...Winter Registration is closed and all the courses are full.

The course formats for onsite courses vary from the Distance Learning ones, as the instructors have some academic freedom and can teach using as many assignments etc as they choose - but I can give you some info on the DL versions.

All OPMES are Online  or contain an online component - so you will need access to a computer. It works best on the internet - and not the DWAN. The University Level OPME's (HIE208, HIE275, POE206, PSE402) do not have exams, but the Professional Level ones do (DCE001 and DCE002)

These breakdowns are current as of W08 term - and may change in the future.
HIE275 - 4 Modules with 2 assignments in each. (One small assignment and one larger one for each module).
POE206 - This course was changed this term - it used to contain groupwork - but they have (as far as I know) taken it out. There are 2 Modules, Mod 1 has 4 Quizes, 2 Project Parts (Large assignments) and a participation mark, Mod 2 has the Report and a participation mark.
PSE402 -Contains 3 Modules, with 1 discussion mark and 1 assignment mark each.

We have gotten good feedback from the onsites, but not all courses are available in all locations.

Keep in mind that these are University Level 2nd and 4th year courses - so you can estimate their workload accordingly.

Also - you should read the OPME site and the CMP Instruction 08/06 regarding withdrawing etc.

Each of these courses can also be transfered to an RMC Undergrad program - or to an interest only program to be transferred to another university.
If there is anything else I can help you out with please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to make sure you get all the answers you need.

Most of our staff are back to work on Jan 3rd.

Muffin

Hey Muffin, Thank you for your prompt reply.

Your expertise on this matter is very helpful. I have taken both professional level courses and had no difficulty whatsoever. I  actually achieved honours on each. I requested a break in studies for HIE208, History due to unforeseen personal circumstances. I completed Mod 1 with a mark of 95 and plan to pick it back up in the summer session.

I am assuming that HIE275's assignments are similar to that of HIE208 (number and length) 4 Precis' and 4 longer papers.

I heard that POE206 has a really long paper, (30 plus pages) Is there any truth to this?

Your reply raised a new question. How is participation and discussion evaluated on a distance course?

Again, thanks for the info. Much appreciated, C17  :cdn:

C17 Tech said:
I heard that POE206 has a really long paper, (30 plus pages) Is there any truth to this?

Your reply raised a new question. How is participation and discussion evaluated on a distance course?

Hi there - the paper used to be a group project that was really really long... but I know it has changed this term. The research Report is 2000-2500 words.

Participation and Discussion is assessed by your contributions to the discussion forums. (Kind of like here! haha)

Hey Muffin , Mery Christmas from the coast!

C17 , just DO IT! OPME's are pretty straight forward. No 30 page reports.

Muffin,
        Thanks again for the info. I just wanted to know what kind of workload I was in for if I took the last three courses. If I have any other questions, I'll PM you. Happy Holidays,

C17 :cdn:

HFXCrow said:
Hey Muffin , Mery Christmas from the coast!

C17 , just DO IT! OPME's are pretty straight forward. No 30 page reports.

Hey Crowe ;) You keeping out of trouble?!?!

Always!  Maybe.....Jägerbombs away!

I am just got back from sea and heading to ILQ in Montreal this January.

taking a little break.

Necropost here.

I would like some updated info on how the distance learning is conducted for the OPMEs (specifically DCE001 and DCE002)  I am looking to do them this winter semester, however my schedule is quite busy and I may not be able to follow a fixed schedule.  It is done via DNDLearn right? 

Can we do the assigments and exams whenever we are ready?  Is the exam an online exam or we have to physically show up somewhere at a set up time?

Thanks,

SupersonicMax said:
Necropost here.

I would like some updated info on how the distance learning is conducted for the OPMEs (specifically DCE001 and DCE002)  I am looking to do them this winter semester, however my schedule is quite busy and I may not be able to follow a fixed schedule.  It is done via DNDLearn right? 

Can we do the assigments and exams whenever we are ready?  Is the exam an online exam or we have to physically show up somewhere at a set up time?

Thanks,

The prof posts a sit, you have to respond to the sit within the week. It's a weekly thing. The DL wasn't too bad, most assignments had a weekly time-line (or due dates known well in advance) - so that I could work-around my own schedule. I was pretty busy when I did these two & travelling back & forth between Gagetown/PEI every weekend, and my father's death occuring in the midst, but managed to pull them off.

One of them (DCE001 I believe) had no exam - it simply had "Assignment 1" and "Assignment 2" that were onlinee (and you just had to do them by the due date), the other - I had to travel to Gagetown & sit for in the BPSO's office - a date which we were made aware of about 1/2 way through the course. Don't forget to register yourself to sit for the exam before the deadline ... we had a couple that forgot to do that & so they had to sit the exam in the next OPME summer session.

Hi Supersonic Max -  I got your message but couldn't reply cause your inbox is full ;)

I am not working at RMC anymore, but run DNDLearn at the national level now for CDA (RMC/OPME is one of 80 CF/DND schools I work with now)
I can tell you that Winter registration for OPMEs closed in Nov and registration for the summer session will open (I believe) in Feb. All their dates etc are on their website www.opme.forces.gc.ca

The 001 and 002 course are self paced - and you can do the exams whever you like before the course end date. The marks will not be transfered to HRMS until about a month after the course end date.

There are no assignments for 001 and 002.

The other OPME courses have assignments and fixed dates, but no exams.

If you need more info, you can contact RMC - OPME program coords at dcspme@rmc.ca or dcsstudentrelations@rmc.ca
The OPME website is www.opme.forces.gc.ca

muffin

muffin said:
If you need more info, you can contact RMC - OPME program coords at dcspme@rmc.ca or dcsstudentrelations@rmc.ca
The OPME website is www.opme.forces.gc.ca

muffin

Hi Muffin!! My saviour!

Max, keep the above info handy for every time you manage to get yourself revoked off DNDLearn like I did. I kept Muffin working overtime, but she was a godsend!!

Thank you all for your replies.  It helps me greatly.

I'll try to see if I can sweet talk them into a "late" registration for one of the two courses.  If not, no big deal.

muffin:  thanks for the heads up re: inbox space.  I made some room!

I'm doing Defence Management this winter and I believe the exam is now online and you have two hours to do it.

I did Defence Management this fall; there was 3 exams that you take.  You can take them anytime during the reporting period.  The study material is all PDF files which you can download and study anytime, they also give you a disc with the study material.

ArmyVern said:
Hi Muffin!! My saviour!

Max, keep the above info handy for every time you manage to get yourself revoked off DNDLearn like I did. I kept Muffin working overtime, but she was a godsend!!

Hey Vern :)
Thanks haha. For the DNDLearn stuff specifically (tech support and all that) the email is cda.dndlearnteam@forces.gc.ca
I forgot that one haha.

When I did DCE 001, IIRC I went to the BPSO office and wrote the online exam there. 

For DCE 002, there was 2 exams (1 per module) for Module 1 - Military Law and Module 2 - LOAC.  Each of the exams were done via the DNDLearn site, and were timed exams and I completed them in my living room at home.

That was 2 years ago though, so not sure how current that is.

Eye In The Sky said:
When I did DCE 001, IIRC I went to the BPSO office and wrote the online exam there. 

For DCE 002, there was 2 exams (1 per module) for Module 1 - Military Law and Module 2 - LOAC.  Each of the exams were done via the DNDLearn site, and were timed exams and I completed them in my living room at home.

That was 2 years ago though, so not sure how current that is.

Same as mine, but I wrote a hard copy exam for DCE001 in the BPSOs office.

For Mil law, I had just completed the Presiding Officer's Course the week before the OPME started - I figured I'd give the 2 exams for Mil Law a go right off the bat assuming they'd pretty much echo the exams from the POC; they did. It was the quickest OPME that I ever did - many of the questions were similar.

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions about OPME's if you please....  Do people ever use OPME courses specifically to get the two UNI. credits required to apply to UTPNCM? 
  I've been researching a bit on distance ed from the different universities, but am thinking that if I can take a couple of on-site courses and grab my two credits, that would be even better.  Is it frowned upon by the UTPNCM board, if the applicant took only opme's?
  Happy new year! :snowman:

Back