• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Info about Backing Up at the Pumps

gaspasser

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just tried and exhaustive and unproductive search of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act trying to find any info about backing up at the pumps.  :-[
Can anyone out there help me out? I know, bad idea coming from an experienced MSE Op  ;D
The reason is: someone once told me that it is illegal to reverse towards or away from the fuel pumps at your local gas station.  I've seen it happen so many times at my gas station here in Trenton that I told the attendant that some people are stupid or in such a complete hurry that they're willing to tempt fate by backing up around the pumps.  ::)  I know it's a no-no for DND vehicles to do so.
The reason for the "law" is that if you hit the pumps...kaboom..if you hit someone else who may be filling up...kaboom...plus lots of people don't know how to back up properly (around here, going forward is a trial too!!) 
      Patiently waiting for idiots to kill themselves off.......
Regards, BYTD

I see this turning into a very pleasureable read. ..................once it gets going of course.

It's news to me, either in civvie legislation or DND regs. 

Is the prohibition for DND vehicles in the Transportation Manual?

BYT Driver said:
Hi All,
I just tried and exhaustive and unproductive search of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act trying to find any info about backing up at the pumps.  :-[

I don't remember seeing anything official in DND or civilian legislation to state this, but I have always been drilled this on D&M Crses and have also passed it along to my students.  With the amount of "Backing Accidents" that are documented, is seems like a sensible thing to teach. 

We can also discuss the matter of parking so that you can drive out, rather than back out of a location.  It never fails to amuse me to visit a Mall, and see a person park in a manner where they will have to back out, when they could have driven threw to the next empty spot and be in a position to drive away when time came to leave.

I think that a long time ago, DND Safety and Driving Instructors took it upon themselves to teach "Not to Backup if it was unnecessary".

I always back up when I need to in order to get to a pump.  In 10 years of driving, I haven't killed anyone yet. 

I seriously do not see the issue with that.

SupersonicMax said:
I always back up when I need to in order to get to a pump.  In 10 years of driving, I haven't killed anyone yet. 

I seriously do not see the issue with that.

The problem comes from the other side of the bell curve.    ;)

Seems like an interesting experiment for mythbusters.  I don't think driving into a gas pump would normally ignite the fuel, especially not backing into someone else.  I know the smoking and cell phone use at gas stations has already been disproven as to cause an explosion.

I've always tried to avoid backing into pumps, to the point I'll drive in circles looking like an idiot to avoid doing so(especially in rentals where I forget which side I need to pull into) More becuase it just feels awkward to do so....never heard of any law about it, just alot of recommendations

There wont be anything under the Highway Traffic Act about backing up to fuel pumps, because fuel pumps are on private property and not subject to the HTA.

DND on the other hand is a different situation. the vehicles have their SOP's and DND pumps are on crown land and as such the military can enact whatever laws they deem necessary with regards to fueling...

hope that helps  :salute:

Cat said:
I've always tried to avoid backing into pumps, to the point I'll drive in circles looking like an idiot to avoid doing so(especially in rentals where I forget which side I need to pull into) More becuase it just feels awkward to do so....never heard of any law about it, just alot of recommendations

in many new cars there is a little arrow on the fuel gauge in the Dash to indicate which side the fuel door is on.

Also usually the side of the dash that the gas gauge is on is the side of the car the tank is on.

I never get new cars, but good to know, I'll keep an eye on that next time I rent. Thanks!

Tommy said:
There wont be anything under the Highway Traffic Act about backing up to fuel pumps, because fuel pumps are on private property and not subject to the HTA.

DND on the other hand is a different situation. the vehicles have their SOP's and DND pumps are on crown land and as such the military can enact whatever laws they deem necessary with regards to fueling...

hope that helps  :salute:
From the looks of things, it seems the un-law is the truth here.  Your answer is most feasible and logical.  I do think it's a DND SOP and that maybe my "friend" was having one at me on my account.  I will ask an OPP friend of mine---not that the OPP around here would ever ticket anyone for doing anything illelgal!  :rage:

For some people, its not the problem of backing up:

I have never heard or seen anything in civilian-land regulating this.  I am personally guilty of backing up to pumps and never give it a second thought any more than backing into a parking space.

Hitting a gas pump while backing up (or forward) may not be covered by the HTA, but driving away after hitting it may cause other problems. Most pumps have auto-shut off valves to prevent gas spills, but this older pump not:

Gas spill suspect sought by police
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 | 2:30 PM AT .

Just don't do it at a BP station, it could take months for them to shut it down.    ;D

I've just spent some more time searching google, wikipedia, OHTA and TSSA...I still can't find the reference.
So it may have been a wild goose chase to start with.
In DND, it is considered unsafe to back up to the pumps.  And you will be charged with a Backing Accident if you hit somehting or someone whilst backing up in a DND vehicle.
On civie street, I think it's just considered stupid and dangerous to do so.
If you need the gas that quick, you need to slow your life down...>>
:piper:

BYT Driver said:
... I think it's just considered stupid and dangerous to do so...If you need the gas that quick, you need to slow your life down.

Like everything else, it's risk management.  It's not against the law, so it's hard to knock it. 

Technically, driving 101 km/h on the 401 is illegal and far more wrong than backing up at the pump, so 101 km/h that extremely unsafe?

Back