• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Vehicles

That matters not, if Roshel was able to convince Ford to make a tune for the engine to allow it is what matters. The Volvo engine in the MSVS SMP Mack is just a truck engine tuned to accept multiple fuels.

Would it be much different than tuning an engine to accept bio-diesels?

6.7 l engine rated at 450 hp and 935 lb ft of torque. And should last for 200,000 miles. That’s impressive. Even for Ford 😉
Well I would encourage folks to go look at the OS data on the reliability from the JLTV trials.

Not quite as spectacular?
Lots of engine and powertrain issues from systems that one would expect to be reliable until a bunch of weight is added…

The UpArmored Hummer especially was an excellent example of taking the Hummer and making it 90% less reliable…

This is why I suggest we start buying these Canadian trucks in several hundred a year, dispose of any that reach 10 years of age. that keeps the factory going and allows the design to evolve. With this buy, Ukraine and their domestic sales we have a company that will be around for a long time. This is the new CMP armoured truck.

Lots of engine and powertrain issues from systems that one would expect to be reliable until a bunch of weight is added…

The UpArmored Hummer especially was an excellent example of taking the Hummer and making it 90% less reliable…
The Hawkei which has been suggested has a 270hp/450ftlb engine. Wonder how it handles
This is why I suggest we start buying these Canadian trucks in several hundred a year, dispose of any that reach 10 years of age. that keeps the factory going and allows the design to evolve. With this buy, Ukraine and their domestic sales we have a company that will be around for a long time. This is the new CMP armoured truck.
I dont think Roshel originally responded to the RFI but Streit did

below the LUVS project

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    626.6 KB · Views: 6

Maybe they should design one appropriately armored with the correct power train in it to start with. I know - its all about $$$$

With decent windshield wipers.

The Hawkei which has been suggested has a 270hp/450ftlb engine. Wonder how it handles

I dont think Roshel originally responded to the RFI but Streit did

below the LUVS project
Perhaps this,whatever that means?
2.2.1 Change in Protection LevelThe level of protection for the armoured vehicle has changed from K1 to K2. The blastrating has not changed and remains at M1.

They might have looked at it and said, yea we can't meet all of this stuff without borking our product.

Best way is to do an interim buy of 100 vehicles and equip Reserve units in the same Brigade with them, as a trial.

The Hummer also still uses the Detroit 6.5 and the TurboHydromatic 400, even after GM proved it was possible to use the Duramax 6.6 and Allison transmission.

The Hummer also still uses the Detroit 6.5 and the TurboHydromatic 400, even after GM proved it was possible to use the Duramax 6.6 and Allison transmission.
The UAH+ submission had the 6.6 and Allison. It faired the second worse for reliability after the stock UAH.

When you add 1.5+ tons of armor onto a vehicle that was never designed to take that load in certain places, stuff happens.

The Hummer was a 2.5t cargo capable vehicle, but the armor wasn’t in places that the frame/powertrain was designed for.

My concern with all of the ‘bespoke’ commercial vehicles that are uparmored by third parties is that the lifespan of the vehicle and its operational reliability/capability will be significantly reduced. The concern is based on the fact it has occurred again and again on vehicles that was done to in the past, including military vehicles that where much more robust and had higher payload capacity that the Ford 550 series.

Exactly, Heavy is ok. Off-road is ok but heavy and off road is really hard on equipment. Pick up truck based 4x4's Even F-550 class are made for very light off roading. Dirt roads, muddy jobsites and such.
I run a 2001 F-550 at 18,000# out of 19,500# GVW every day. I have no reliability issues except maybe faster brake wear than if it was lightly loaded. But. . . I don't go off road.

I saw a spec once where a deuc-and-a-half was rated for something like 40,000# payload on road and 5,000# off road. Hence the deuc-and-a-half name.

F-550 suspension does not have the articulation for military style off-roading. Leaf springs don't like twisting terrain very much. Thats why 4x4 enthusiasts swap out leafs for 4 links and coil overs.

Roshel adding military style tires will help with traction but unless they are drastically modifying the suspension those trucks will be limited to mild off-roading no matter the weight.

the contenders for the humvee replacement

JLTV seems like a duramax derivative engine and the same with the Hawkei but even smaller so probably only 500000 mile engines the Eagle looks like a full size diesel probably a million mile engine
Only CANSOF had Hummers, so I’m confused by the program, or at least that posters take on it.

Back