• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry, then police? Feedback

Testify

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

New here, I've been reading for a couple days now.  Getting a lot of good information and getting keen to start.
Far from it however, still have to finish my application and take it down to recruiting.  Really hoping I'll be getting sent to BMQ in September.

I just graduated college and have decided to not us my diploma (Computer Systems Technician) for my career choice.
I've been looking at many different trades in the Army and although many sound interesting, I keep coming back to the Infantry.  So my plan was to enlist for 3 years, and then apply to the police force.  My Dad is an OPP and has told me a lot of officers he works with have military past's.  So I figure 3 years in the Infantry and a 2 yr diploma should get me accepted in to the police eventually.  (I hear the police look very highly on ex-military)

Basically, all I'm looking for is any responses on if this is what many people do or if you've heard of anyone taking this route?  I've been told that if you go in without a plan then you'll most likely stick with the military due to people loving it and good pay, good benefits, etc.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, I could see myself sticking with it for a while if I enjoy it.

Anyway, any feedback/personal stories at all would be great. 

Thanks!

Ya that might help you out, I know a few Edmonton Police who are ex army/airforce/navy, but curious as to why infantry, nothing against them, but there are sooooo many trades why go in with a limited selection? Why not get a trade and maybe stick around? or try what interest you, not just what you think would look good to the police, as different trades will give you different experiences, for instance I know more Sig's that have done more tours than most other trades, so if its tour experience you think they might be looking for theres that. Also if you did pick a different trade do you think they might look differently at you, as I am sure you are not the only one who has thought of this.
i.e. Recruiter (opp) "we have 5 applicants who were privates in the infantry, but this 1 applicant was a craftsmen (private) vehicle tech, it shows that he/she can be depended on to work unsupervised and has mechanical aptitude.
Just something for you to look at. Oh and not to piss off any infanteers but most of the time you have someone supervising you, unless you reach a higher rank.

Rowshambow said:
i.e. Recruiter (opp) "we have 5 applicants who were privates in the infantry, but this 1 applicant was a craftsmen (private) vehicle tech, it shows that he/she can be depended on to work unsupervised and has mechanical aptitude.
Just something for you to look at. Oh and not to piss off any infanteers but most of the time you have someone supervising you, unless you reach a higher rank.

What??,.....you will have someone supervising you know matter what rank and/or trade you become.

...and as far as the Infantry thing,.......folks, give it to him easy, please?

Well I have a number of friends who left the CF to join the Police, (RCMP, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, OPP and QPP).
  By far the best candidate the Police would love to have is a JTF-2 Assaulter.
Now its not going to happen with your 3 year window -- but perhaps something to think about.

I won't comment about Rowshambow's point cause its so RTFO that I dont think it needs anything more than a good chuckle.

In the 031 trade - you will get weapons experience, communication courses, as well as ROE experience and potentially emergency trauma medicine (TCCC course).  Anyone who does not think an Infanteer will not operate on his own without supervision at time and be able to prove himself has never set foot in a 031's boots.

Rowshambow

Hey who knows - maybe the OPP are looking for people to fix their cars instead of patroling in them  ;D

[quote author=Rowshambow]
but curious as to why infantry, nothing against them, but there are sooooo many trades why go in with a limited selection? Why not get a trade and maybe stick around? or try what interest you, not just what you think would look good to the police
[/quote]

Well, the trade that interests me the most is infantry.  I really want to go overseas and help out on the "front lines"  I'm not saying the police would frown upon me having Combat Engineer as my trade (this is the trade im debating over Infantry)  I just really want the Infantry training and the experience.  I don't want to go overseas and build a bridge (I know I will probably get some replies back from Sappers from that comment, which is what I want, so bring it!).  I know they fight too, but that's not a guarantee.  Infantry will be guaranteed to fight will they not?

Also, when you say "limited selection", what does that mean?  I thought that after my 3 if I wanted i could switch trades?  Or is that not as easy as I presume?

[quote author=Bruce Monkhouse]
...and as far as the Infantry thing,.......folks, give it to him easy, please?
[/quote]

Could someone please expand on this comment?

Note: All my information on these topics are from what I've pieced together through forums, so please don't be too hard on me if I misrepresent a trade or anything.

Thanks again guys!

Testify said:
I just graduated college and have decided to not us my diploma (Computer Systems Technician) for my career choice.
I've been looking at many different trades in the Army and although many sound interesting, I keep coming back to the Infantry.  So my plan was to enlist for 3 years, and then apply to the police force.  My Dad is an OPP and has told me a lot of officers he works with have military past's.  So I figure 3 years in the Infantry and a 2 yr diploma should get me accepted in to the police eventually.  (I hear the police look very highly on ex-military) 

Just a note, this comment could hurt your chances of enlistment if you repeat it at the recruiting station.  They are looking for applicants who want to join for life, not jump ship after three years.

GreyMatter said:
Just a note, this comment could hurt your chances of enlistment if you repeat it at the recruiting station.  They are looking for applicants who want to join for life, not jump ship after three years.

Good call, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.  But thanks for the heads up.

Testify,
That had nothing to do with you but was all about the kife that Rowshambow posted about Infantry-types...................maybe when he is doing his courses this fall he might suggest that train of thought to his Pl. Wo.

Testify -  Getting a LOTP is not a guarantee -- especially with the shortage of 031's -- a remuster after 5-6 years may be more realisitic if you want to leave the trade and yet stay in the CF -- that said everyone circumstances are different.

Having done the above transfer (albeit with 8 years Infantry reserve and counting), I just emphasized the areas in which I felt I had gained valuable training and life experience. Go infantry, go hard and never quit (who knows, maybe you'll decide on making the CF a career). Earn good course reports and develop a reputation as a hard worker. If you still want to become a cop after your stint is up, you'll not only be able to list all the experience you have but also show them copies of good PERs. I was able to show the recruiter a history of documented hard work and experience and I know this helped my application.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
maybe when he is doing his courses this fall he might suggest that train of thought to his Pl. Wo.

Oh please can someone videotape it 8)

Testify as pointed out by more than one current and/or former 031/R031 here, your career plan looks GTG. You would be surprised at what a few years as an Infanteer prepares you for career wise on civy street.

Besides after the first three years you may find you like it.

I spent 24 years in the infantry and wouldn't change a thing, loved it. I retired at 41 with a full pension and now I'm a software engineer thanks to the reeducation program which allowed me to go to school for 3 years. I now work part time from my home making a decent income. The pension is and big added bonus because its money i don't have to make and supplements my part time income to the extent that I'm now free to spend time with my family, golf twice a week and enjoy life on my terms.

You may think now that's a lot of time, but it goes by fast, but believe me the benefits in the end are worth it, if you stick with it.

My father-in-law worked at a Ford assembly plant for 30 years in order to be eligible for a pension and he was 62 before he was able to retire. I'm only 46.

Makes me so happy to see all these great posts.  Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it!

I can definitely see myself sticking with it.. 20 years later and at 40 years old already making a great pension.  Living the dream I say, living the dream!

retiredgrunt45 said:
thanks to the reeducation program which allowed me to go to school for 3 years.

Care to share a little information on this reeducation plan?  First I've heard of it.  Thanks

Testify said:
I can definitely see myself sticking with it.. 20 years later

Well, just so you are aware, its 25 years now or new people coming in

Ah my bad, well 25 years later then! 

Thanks for clearing that up  :salute:

Ya, see what I mean about some people they have a narrow view on life, I am speaking from experience, I was infantry before I went armoured, so I am well within my lanes, oh yeah my father in law is a Sgt and in the recruiting section of EPS and I know of another person in the CPS recruiting, all I was saying is that if you think only infantry will make you look good to a police recruiter,than you are wrong. In the old days yes they wanted infantry types, but nowadays most recruiters or police have some type, or at least are knowledge about the Forces and they realize what an untapped resource it can be. So what I was trying to say is that do what interests you, not just what you think will look good on a resume because in the end if it's not what you wanted, you will have a bad taste in your mouth and will reflect badly on the forces. That's it, that's all not saying infantry is bad, just make sure it is something you are happy with! yes you will be supervised in most trades, but I was trying to point out the subtle differences, some trades don't have the time to babysit. As for the weapons training stuff, just take a look at 1 Service BN, those poor guys go harder and do more infantry stuff than the infantry!Sorry if that offended you, and I really don't know why some of you were offended by what was posted before, you would think that trying to give some insight would be a good thing, I know lots of people (myself included) that just jumped at the first trade offered to me, and I wished I had researched a little more!

retiredgrunt45 said:
I spent 24 years in the infantry and wouldn't change a thing, loved it. I retired at 41 with a full pension and now I'm a software engineer thanks to the reeducation program which allowed me to go to school for 3 years. I now work part time from my home making a decent income. The pension is and big added bonus because its money i don't have to make and supplements my part time income to the extent that I'm now free to spend time with my family, golf twice a week and enjoy life on my terms.

You may think now that's a lot of time, but it goes by fast, but believe me the benefits in the end are worth it, if you stick with it.

My father-in-law worked at a Ford assembly plant for 30 years in order to be eligible for a pension and he was 62 before he was able to retire. I'm only 46.

My Gosh retired at 41.......
Is that about the norm in the army? if you become a lifer is it about average for you to be retired by 41?
If that is the case what is it about the army that makes such an early retirement the norm.

Rowshambow said:
Ya, see what I mean about some people they have a narrow view on life, I am speaking from experience, I was infantry before I went armoured, so I am well within my lanes
Reg or reserve -- and what unit, and for how long

oh yeah my father in law is a Sgt and in the recruiting section of EPS and I know of another person in the CPS recruiting, all I was saying is that if you think only infantry will make you look good to a police recruiter,than you are wrong. In the old days yes they wanted infantry types, but nowadays most recruiters or police have some type, or at least are knowledge about the Forces and they realize what an untapped resource it can be.
They hire the individual not a trade -- you can have a glue bag anywhere -- the Army is what you make of it
So what I was trying to say is that do what interests you, not just what you think will look good on a resume because in the end if it's not what you wanted, you will have a bad taste in your mouth and will reflect badly on the forces. That's it, that's all not saying infantry is bad, just make sure it is something you are happy with!
One good comment in all of this

yes you will be supervised in most trades, but I was trying to point out the subtle differences, some trades don't have the time to babysit. As for the weapons training stuff, just take a look at 1 Service BN, those poor guys go harder and do more infantry stuff than the infantry!Sorry if that offended you, and I really don't know why some of you were offended by what was posted before, you would think that trying to give some insight would be a good thing, I know lots of people (myself included) that just jumped at the first trade offered to me, and I wished I had researched a little more!
Dude you are so far out of your lane you are going in the other direction.  Since the CF is so small very few of us dont know each other -- either directly of by a buddy or two -- my spidey sense tells me your a clown.  My profile is complete enough to let people on this site know where I am coming from and a large majority know exactly who I am.  I usually dont enjoy or bother getting into a internet pissing contest - but your giving the kid some BAD advice based on from what I hear (small world eh?) on your supreme knowledge as a OCdt.  No dont go away mad - just got away.

I looked in to joining a few police forces befire I decided I can make more money being the Canadian Jack Bauer  ;D
I may (when I grow up) decided to join a Police Service.  Most of the recruiters are extremely helpful, and will point out areas that you can work on to improve your standing

Avg Joe -- if you joing the CF at 20 + 25 years of service = 45 retirement date (now some people stay in till both feet are in the grave - but thats another story)

I think that with a diploma in computers and a background in the army (be it infantry or not) the police force would be happy to take on anyone with those qualifications.  Shows that you are educated and disciplined, confident, know how to kick some ass, the list goes on for the attributes one acquires as a member of the CF.

Back