• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

[Infantry Reserves] First Time Poster!

Eye In The Sky said:
IIRC, the Loyal Eddies and Royal Westminster Regiment have jumpers as well.

I believe the Westies used to have a Jump Pl but not anymore.  Don't know about LER though, but I don't think they have a formed jump unit.  AFAIK The QoR is the only Reserve unit with a para tasking. Other units may have qualified pers, but they aren't part of a Jump Pl/Coy.

Woh, lots of replies. Thanks for all your input!

Ok, lets answer each person one by one.

1) I understand all regiments are affiliated with UN and NATO, but from what I understood, QOR is strongly affiliated according to their numerous battle honors & international contributions.

2) I'm not talking about Reg Force here, I'm focusing on Reserves and only the Reserves. The QOR is, apparently, the only reserve unit in Canada (Other than the ones you guys listed, thanks for the enlightenment  :camo: ) that does the para-courses & exercises...Attention to detail here before you spill irrelevant answers (Referring to Reg Force when I'm focused on Reserve). Thanks.  :-X  Oh, and no disrespect intended what so ever!

3) I know very well that I need police experience to get in the ERT, 2-5 to be exact, but regardless, having that military background, no matter how slight, will give me an advantage. I've taken finance (human resources and psychology minors), and now I'm working on criminal justice (last stage!). The police are not suppose to show or treat applicants any different regardless of how strong their backgrounds are...So that's why your EX-Military friend didn't get a reaction from the police force. I can tell you right now that his military background did impact his application in a positive way and that it will qualify him for more opportunities within the police force. Best of luck to him though.

4) I'm more interested in the policing aspect of the legal system.

5) Physical Condition... I don't want to brag (and I know there are people who can do more) but I'm quite sure I'm doing well. I can bench press 150% of my own body weight, run 5k, running up and down 100 floors, 75-100 push-ups in a row, so I think I'll be fine. With that said, maintenance and a humble attitude are key. Thank you for that advice :)

6) Foresters, winter training, that's interesting! I hope you're enjoying it. It's just not my forte.  :snowman:

7) Yes, I am considering MP in the future as well if policing doesn't work out. I'm keeping my options open, but focused, since I got 4 years to go anyways :)

8 ) "Don't trust everything you hear." Well...I always do my research regardless, but thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind!

9) I'll be taking public transit to get to the the QOR building. It's quite convenient and I'm used to taking public transit by now so I understand the longer commute.

Also, thank you very much for your input everyone.
Please know that I do not I have no intentions in disrespecting any of you with my replies or style of writing.

I'll be working on my profile, I just haven't had the spare time with all these assignment commin' up heh.

1) I understand all regiments are affiliated with UN and NATO, but from what I understood, QOR is strongly affiliated according to their numerous battle honors & international contributions.

Not to slight the QOR history, but their last Battle Honour was from WWII along with every other reserve unit in Toronto, so you can't really use that as a judge of what the unit does today.

As for international contributions, all the reserves units in Toronto have sent people on international deployments.  There are people here on this site from the various Toronto units that have deployed.

This is not to stop you from joining the QOR as  they are a fine unit but just to give you some additional information.  After all the choice is ultimately yours.

Yes indeed, a lot of regiments do have a great history.
I haven't had the time to look into every regiment's history, but I did get to read a few, and they all do have their strong share of contributions.

Thank you dangerboy.

Forester said:
Like for example, I am in the G&SF in Barrie. We specialize in winter/arctic warfare. So we recieve alot of training in the winter aspects of the army, once a year(except this year), we head way up north for a week long ex. Last Aug we went to Baffin island on a sovereignty patrol. I just want you to be aware, that every unit can get cool training, I suppose its just up to how willing you are to drive.

Thanks to the G&SF for ramrodding EX Polar Warrior this weekend!

32 BDE just wrapped up a Winter Ex in Borden, supported by the G&SF.  From my perspective it looked like things went smoothly, and we (The QOR) got some good training out of it.

Your hard work is appreciated. :salute:

Wonderbread said:
Thanks to the G&SF for ramrodding EX Polar Warrior this weekend!

32 BDE just wrapped up a Winter Ex in Borden, supported by the G&SF.  From my perspective it looked like things went smoothly, and we (The QOR) got some good training out of it.

Your hard work is appreciated. :salute:

I assume you were with the QOR platoon in A Coy. I was a Sect Cmd with the foresters. Did you happen to see the royals when they came up to the pick up point? They looked like they had just walked there from meaford....haha.

I felt the ex was great as the point of it was to reinforce basic winter operating skills. So moving with sleds and snowshoes, tent routine, and the such. It went quite well I feel. With the exception of B Coy that didnt take down their tent groups. They left them where they put the, on friday night(in square woods) 100m from the pick up on sunday.

Overall though, it accomlished what they wanted to.

I will pass on the coudos to our OPs cell, as I work in their office and I know that they were stressing over some of the planning for this ex.

With the exception of B Coy that didnt take down their tent groups. They left them where they put the, on friday night(in square woods) 100m from the pick up on sunday.

Wait, what? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I'm quite positive B Coy took down their tents on Sunday and humped them back.

Oh, I've been waiting for April for a while now.

I know it's too early to get any reports yet, but if anyone knows of any updates please keep me, and the rest of us updated. Thanks!

I'm really eager, but I don't want to annoy the recruiter by my eagerness, so I'm waiting until mid-April to give them a visit again and get some updates on what's available.

Hey Abdul, any success on joining the QOR? I've been very interested in joining them too...

I called the QOR the other day, asking if I could stop by to ask some questions and get some info, and the lady I spoke to said that they're going to hold a public information session all the way on Sept. 8th. I frankly don't want to wait that long just to get info. I would rather go straight to the armory and get some there in person.

Also, are there any of you in the GTA that are in the QOR, or any other army reserve unit that can tell me about the recruiting status? I know currently they're full but is there anytime soon they'll get the numbers in to see if they'll start recruiting again?

p.s. this is my first time posting so my bad for any mistakes

I would show up again in March. 

I would strongly suggest actually speaking to some members of the unit itself one to one as well.  At CFRC, unless that individual has spent time in that unit, they can only tell you so much.

For example, a good freind of mine has enrolled as a Regular MP.  The Officer-Cadet working at CFRC at the time told him well-intentioned, but ultimately false information on the recruiting process for that trade, and obviously would be in no position to talk about what that trade really is like. 

Another thing you can do is observe what a parade night looks like.  At my unit I will show a potential applicant around to see what really goes on.  See how they work, interact with one another, etc.

Back