• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]

Blackadder1916 said:
And an appreciation of the factor played by weather (even marginal weather) in amphibious ops, probably more so than in most other "ground" ops.  On the first day that we were "supposed" to land, we were only able to get two (of four) mike boats out of Cleveland's (LPD7) well deck before they called a halt.  From what I heard later, nobody else (the battle group was spread across a few different US platform types) got any boats in the water and the couple of amtracks that did get off an LST managed to be rescued recovered.  The troops in the two boats from Cleveland bobbed around for a awhile, had some injuries, and eventually had to sail to Port Hardy to be flown back to the ship to try again the next day.

Found this that provides a civilian journalist's perspective.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1185&dat=19791010&id=y3UOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oYADAAAAIBAJ&pg=7035,4662031&hl=en

Yes, things can and do get dicey quite quickly when operating boats at sea, especially from a well. Funny thing is people who board large amphibious ships in harbour for the first few times usually have the reaction "Oh! it's a huge ship - good, that thing won't get affected by the weather". They get a greater respect for the power of water after their first storm. Hell, even US aircraft carriers have to hunker down some times.

faivious said:
I had a question.
For reserves, is the initial eligibility for promotion from Pte to Cpl two years as opposed to the four years for Reg Forces?

If so, how come it's like this?

Because reasons.

At least that's what I was told at one point.

faivious said:
I had a question.
For reserves, is the initial eligibility for promotion from Pte to Cpl two years as opposed to the four years for Reg Forces?

Yes

[/quote]If so, how come it's like this?
[/quote]

Because the CFAOs say so.  :nod:

Forester should probably shave his beard.  People are confusing him for a civie

Yep tell them no winter gear, then pull a change parade that includes winter gear.  >:D

stealthylizard said:
Yep tell them no winter gear, then pull a change parade that includes winter gear.  >:D

Nightmares.

You're going to give me nightmares.

Hey,

I have been looking around on here but could not find the exact info that I am looking for. Maybe it has been answered so, i apologize in advance.

I wanted to know how DP1 Infantry Primary reserve, is like? I finished my BMQ and my only struggle was the running, due to most likely shin splints or another shin/ankle injury I may not know of. I was told that in the infantry, they run A LOT. I don't mind any of the other PT but I would  just want to know an average week of PT for the infantry course Primary Reserve? Also is it a big game changer if it is extremely difficult? (AKA being kicked off or re-coursed). Although, I am really determined to complete it. I just want insight.

Again sorry if this may be a repeated post, but could not find the answer i was looking for!

Thank you!

Rewording this.

Get out of the habit of thinking you might have shin splits.  There's a big difference between a medical condition diagnosed by a doctor and having sore legs because you're not used to running.

I firmly believe the reservists quitting course (faking injuries to go home,  faking emergencies at home)  is very very often because they (you)  show up for summer training and you're not fit.

The feeling like you're dying  every morning is daunting.

Start running on your own.  Do 5km runs,  10km runs and 15km runs.  Don't worry about time to start,  just get your body used to it.

If you show up fit your course is as good as done.

Jarnhamar said:
Rewording this.

Get out of the habit of thinking you might have shin splits.  There's a big difference between a medical condition diagnosed by a doctor and having sore legs because you're not used to running.

I firmly believe the reservists quitting course (faking injuries to go home,  faking emergencies at home)  is very very often because they (you)  show up for summer training and you're not fit.

The feeling like you're dying  every morning is daunting.

Start running on your own.  Do 5km runs,  10km runs and 15km runs.  Don't worry about time to start,  just get your body used to it.

If you show up fit your course is as good as done.

Good post, however, not all reservists fake injuries. I have never faked an injury but I do agree, yeah I probably showed up not as fit as I should have been. In general, running is my weakness and yeah I should definitely try to train my body to go at least 10km before my infantry course.

In my first post, I wanted to know an average week of PT for the infantry Primary Reserve course. For example, do they do 10km everyday? Every other day?

Thank you

mikegf6 said:
In my first post, I wanted to know an average week of PT for the infantry Primary Reserve course. For example, do they do 10km everyday? Every other day?

You may not have a single 10km run on your DP1. But, of course it will vary by staff and time allocated/available for PT. Expect some running, circuit training and ruck marches.

I assume you won't be doing DP1 until next summer? If that's the case, you have a lot of time to improve your fitness and get your body adjusted to it. Also, I'm guessing you will still belong to your unit's PAT Pl, so they may also do PT with you.

Don't focus solely on running during the year though to prepare for DP1. Ruck marching is also very important. You need to be physically strong and have the stamina to keep going. During the year, do distance runs mixed with sprints, lift weights, do HIT and ruck marching. Lots of good military exercise programs out there you can follow.  You may need to adjust them to your current fitness level but you can build up from there.

mikegf6 said:

Thank you

It's impossible to say Mike. Unless things have changed and there is a PT template for everyone to follow now, courses generally do their own PT plan.  Some PT plans will be geared towards running and cardio, others towards rucksack marches and others will be an unholy mix of every PT idea off the internet an instructor can smash together.

Your best bet is to not build up any expectations or hopes and plan for the worst. Assume you'll run 4 days a week and do a long ruck march once a week.  It's also impossible to give you an accurate answer to the distance. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers, it all depends on the staff.

You one saving grace may be that you're only allocated say 50 minutes a day for PT which could include 10 minutes warm up and 10 minutes cool down, you won't go very far in 30 minutes.  There's a lot of classes to cram in during the day and time tables are pretty right.

That said if it was me I'd just do long runs after work  ;)

LightFighter said:
You may not have a single 10km run on your DP1. But, of course it will vary by staff and time allocated/available for PT. Expect some running, circuit training and ruck marches.

I assume you won't be doing DP1 until next summer? If that's the case, you have a lot of time to improve your fitness and get your body adjusted to it. Also, I'm guessing you will still belong to your unit's PAT Pl, so they may also do PT with you.

Don't focus solely on running during the year though to prepare for DP1. Ruck marching is also very important. You need to be physically strong and have the stamina to keep going. During the year, do distance runs mixed with sprints, lift weights, do HIT and ruck marching. Lots of good military exercise programs out there you can follow.  You may need to adjust them to your current fitness level but you can build up from there.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I will be doing DP1 next summer. My unit told me that I will be doing PT also before parades. I have been running every other day but I have been following the fitness we did in BMQ e.g. Run monday, upper body tuesday, lower body wednesday, (Thursday is ruckmarch but i just run because I am not sure if you can go out in public in FFO with your rucksack full) and abs on friday. Saturaday and sunday are rest days.

Is it taboo to go out in FFO an train for the ruck marches?

Jarnhamar said:
It's impossible to say Mike. Unless things have changed and there is a PT template for everyone to follow now, courses generally do their own PT plan.  Some PT plans will be geared towards running and cardio, others towards rucksack marches and others will be an unholy mix of every PT idea off the internet an instructor can smash together.

Your best bet is to not build up any expectations or hopes and plan for the worst. Assume you'll run 4 days a week and do a long ruck march once a week.  It's also impossible to give you an accurate answer to the distance. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers, it all depends on the staff.

You one saving grace may be that you're only allocated say 50 minutes a day for PT which could include 10 minutes warm up and 10 minutes cool down, you won't go very far in 30 minutes.  There's a lot of classes to cram in during the day and time tables are pretty right.

That said if it was me I'd just do long runs after work  ;)

Now that you mention the schedule, the classes and the tight schedules (especially in reserves), 30 minutes is not enough to run 10km. I remember in my BMQ, we ran 5km and had very little time for inspection and breakfast. I won't build up my expectations but I will definitely continue to run to a goal of 10km and workout.

Apparently that 13km ruck march is insane!  :facepalm: 

Thanks for the information though, really appreciate it!

mikegf6 said:
Is it taboo to go out in FFO an train for the ruck marches?

Apparently that 13km ruck march is insane! 

While technically you CAN, most will advise against it (I've never seen the benefit of wearing everything simultaniously - you'll do enough of that anyway).  I'd toss it all on to see how to get it to fit comfortably a few times, as during the course there will be many times when you will need to get it on quickly and ready to move on short notice. 

13km only sounds insane til you do it..... like most things in the Army  >:D

Ayrsayle said:
While technically you CAN, most will advise against it (I've never seen the benefit of wearing everything simultaniously - you'll do enough of that anyway).  I'd toss it all on to see how to get it to fit comfortably a few times, as during the course there will be many times when you will need to get it on quickly and ready to move on short notice. 

13km only sounds insane til you do it..... like most things in the Army  >:D

I guess your right, maybe I can just throw on PT clothes and just fill my ruck and go out like that!  8)

Hey,

I tried finding info on this but could not. I have finished BMQ last summer and am now "training" with my unit. Whenever people ask me when I am finishing my DP1, I say I think it should be next summer (Because I have not been told).

My question is, is there any possible way of finishing my DP1 in the winter? Are there any winter courses that run for infantry/SQ in the reserves? or will I truly have to wait all the way till next summer?

Any help, would be much appreciated!

What brigade are you in? Been hearing rumors about a part time Infantry DP1 Mod 1 being run in Spring 2016 in 39 CBG.

41 Brigade has no DP1 infantry courses planned this winter. Summer 2016 is when you'll probably see them through us.

It is possible to do DP 1 Mod 1 during the winter, however Mod 2 will most likely occur during the summer.

Back