• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Soldier Shelter (ISS)

MPSHIELD

Inactive
Reaction score
This is the new Individual Shelter that I believe is replacing the Bivy bag and Shelter Half. This was trialed from Jan 02 to May 02. I have not heard anything recent about this item. I have seen many civy models of this shelter. Just wanted to put it out to the forum if anyone knows more about it or trialed it. Also if it is slowly coming into the supply system or delayed a funding is concentrating on Afghanistan. Comments please.

(FYI-Did a search with no results on this topic)

If that's what we're getting (hopefully) then I say Hooray!!  ;D  I remember looking through a Cabela's catalogue (hunting/fishing supply from the U.S.) and seeing these personal shelters and thinking "Wow, that would sure be better than a hooch!!"  Not to say the ground sheet, etc is bad kit but you don't always have trees perfectly placed for setting up.  I'm glad I'm short because I've slept in some small places!!  ;)

From what I have heard, ISS has morphed into SSS (Soldier Surviviabilty System) It will be a complete re-jiggin of all the little items needed for a troop to live, like the one man shelter, possibly new crew tents, pack style stoves, and a hockey sock of other business like flashlights, new sleeping bags, and other fun stuff.  I do beleive the the project is still in definition/back burner, as most focus is now on Boots and Ballistic bits.

PhilB, this is the item that I was discussing with you but never provided a photo of. 

Soldier Survivability System? Hmm, interesting. Well I like the concept of this Bivy Shelter. It would be a definite plus. I wonder what the weight factor will be.

Looks like the guys at 'Tease the Soldier' have either become civilian consultants or submitted their letters to extend past 55, thereby enabling them to remain at their post, keeping everyone panting like sled dogs after the Ididerod and tossing us just enough to remain a viable entity ;D

Try rolling that up and putting it in your rucksack!

It will have its uses though, should it enter the CF system.

Back in Australia, we call these things simply, a swag. They are as comman as a cold, but are a privately owned thing, coming in OD, tan, and of course DPCU AUSCAM.

Great for most Corps, shy of RAInf, but depending on the tact situation, even they have them, if not, sleeping bag, and that spongy roll out thing at best. Being honest, nothing beats chucking down a crews worth of swags off the top of a LAV after a long day, everyone rolls them out, and crawls inside to their own private zone. Nice on a cold wintery June night in Puckapunyal, for those that have been (Hales), I am sure you understand.

In Armd (RAAC), pretty much everyone's got em, including me, and mine is about 10yrs old, faded and dusty DPDU AUSCAM, has a 50mm foam matt in it (and yes a built in bug bar, good ventilation, etc), making it even more comfortable. Want to know more? Try googling Australian swag and see what you get.

Cheers,

Wes

Wieght wise, I compared it to the inservice groundsheet and bivy bag, and it came in about 100 grams lighter.  rolled up it is about the size of a loaf of bread, and can be compressed smaller, in girth, as the poles are fiberglass, and somewhat less compresible than the material.  It isn;t show on the picture, but there is a large admin tarp that comes off the front, it is removable, and made of really light fabric, good for drapping over your kit if you need, or staking out and using it as a proper admin area, I think it is about 6 by 6, and has grommets for stakes or lines.  You can enter the front/head area or unzip it like a coffin and get in.  The whole bottom/foot also opens up, and is sealed by No-Seeum mesh.  I don't know how final everything is design wise, but I imagine there will be a heap of changes coming before it ever gets issued.  It uses 4 poles, and is a pain to erect at night.  Most Civvy units now use 2 poles at the most, there si also for some reason, a waterproof zipper on the inner bug mesh, but not on the outer waterproof membrane zipper.  The outer zipper is covered by a 2 inch flap, but is closed with a basic no frills zipper.  Hmmm?

Well boys, that picture is from inside the Trial and Evaluation building in Gagetown (how's that for RECCE skillz?) so it means it is being trialled by end user.  They will see what changes need to be done (if any) and then DLR will shoot it down and take suggestions from a civvy instead if I remember how it works.. hehe

Bomber-Now I doubt that they will do this, but DLR could always go the  "Airframe" route. Similar to what Grunt Works uses. Although the pole system would probably better for CF applications. less can go wrong. I really think the concept of the Bivy Shelter is great.

http://www.pacresgru.com/a2m.html
(although these Bivy Shelters are a little pricey)
Wesley (Over There) -So soldiers privately purchase there in Australia? Well I guess it is nice that the CF is planning on issuing them. I have not seen any soldier using them although I'm sure people have bought there own.

I'm curious how far they are in issuing these. I went to exchange my bivy bag a few months ago at clothing stores and the one i received as a replacement was worst off than the one i turned in. Although I'm not a supply tech, having not many left in the system may indicate that it will be replaced soon(wishful thinking?). Perhaps it was this paticular clothing stores that i went to that didn't have many.Who knows. I don't know if this is a reoccurring problem of shortage of bivy bags much like the shortage of duffle bag. They wanted to issue me an US duffle as a replacement.

I've spent quite a few nights in something like this: 

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441774231&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302702909&bmUID=1167106834318

some of them in truly god-awful weather (2 snow pickets, 2 flukes, sleeping tied in in my harness, with the wind strong enough that from my mid-chest down was being picked up by gusts.  My upper body was against a really, really big rock so somewhat sheltered.)

Some of them are like sleeping in a body bag, but it looks like this one's got nice headroom.  Full length zips are good, but if they're not WATERPROOF, they're a liability.  I really like the idea of a bug-barred vented foot box, the stench in one of these after a couple of days in the hills gets pretty bad at times.  Ok, truly gruesome.

As Wes has pointed out, it's also really nice to have a bit of "space" to yourself, even if is 4 cubic feet around your head. 

I will, of course, hold my breath as Tease the Soldier grandly announces the roll out of the latest and greatest, delivery date TBD. 

Merry Christmas, all.

Yes, I agree, It would be nice to have some space inside for yourself. I hope they take that into consideration. Being from BC where is rains a lot, I'm hoping that they take waterproofing to the next level in insuring a dry area inside the shelter.

Some of them are like sleeping in a body bag, but it looks like this one's got nice headroom.  Full length zips are good, but if they're not WATERPROOF, they're a liability.  I really like the idea of a bug-barred vented foot box, the stench in one of these after a couple of days in the hills gets pretty bad at times.  Ok, truly gruesome.

ParaMedTech-I can imagine the smell. I never really occured to me how it can get after a while. I'm sure it is much worst than a bivy bag.
Yes I hope they use those waterproof Zippers, especially anything near the sides or low to the ground. (come to think of it, they should use them on many CTS items). We can always dream can't we?

Found some info some of you might like. The US seem to be going for the individual Shelter in lieu of the Shelter half. I found the below info on the US Soldier Shelter Eqt  which i have attached. It seems be in the same concept except that they have basically a 1 man tent. They still have the bivy bag with this system as a separate item.

Not very long ago , bivy bags were an individual private purchase, along with gore-Tex Boots/socks, US rain gear, ranger blankets etc... .  Not much considering todays kit, but snivel gear all the same.  Integral Design (CDN Company) and Survival Aids (UK Company) got alot of business in years past.  A bulk order of almost 100 bivy bags fromt he UK cost us close to $400 CDN each, but as being personaly bought kit, we looked after it like it was gold.  We went to the field with sewing kits and Gore-Tex patch kits, and most had extensive repair kits back at home.  The ISS system is good, yet most found the need for the good ole groundsheet in addiditon to an ISS or bivy bag.  An incorporated bug net is great yet when the temperature climb, its just too darn hot in a bivy bag or ISS.  The current bivy bag/groundsheet and bugbar combination fits the need, as they are more modular in my opinion.  The current bivy bag, lacking zippers/poles, and mosquito netting makes for a more lasting item of kit, how many ISS are going to be turned in as the zipper failed or the netting has a hole in it etc....

My two cents

lostrover-You are correct. Your post made me think that just I would not want to give up my Bivy bag too easily to get this kit. The Bivy bag is a very simple system and not many things can go wrong with it aside small rips. With the ISS, as you mentioned, zippers will fail netting will get rips and poles will break. If the CF does go with this ISS, I hope i do not have to turn my Bivy bag in (we probably will). It would be nice to have the ISS and the Bivy bag to supplement it for a variety of environments. Although i have no experience with Bivy shelters, in BC here where it rains a lot, I can see the practical use for the ISS. However, in summer/warmer environments as ParaMedTech mentioned , i can see it having some problems with being too hot and/or having poor ventilation.

Only time and experience with this piece of kit will tell.

Simple things can be done to the issue bivy bag to make it almost as good as  the ISS.  Velcro around the the opening, in which one can affix a bug met, and webbing around the circumference of the opening to permit one to keep the netting off tour face an improve ventilation, and when the weather gets really bad, flip the bag to permit the longer portion stop the rain and still permit ventilation and bug proofness.  $4 of Velcro and 10" of webbing, some seam sealer and your good to go.  My first bivy from Survival Aids had zips and netting but no hoop, Velcro sewn along the zipper closure, provided me with a fail safe should the zipper break, and unsing the Velcro by itself was handy when the situation warranted it.  A simple tab of webbing sewn onto the bag (and seam sealed) allowed me to keep the bag off me and provide ventilation in hotter weather.  Regretfully my bag succumbed to flames when my apartment burnt years ago.  My next purchase was an Integral Designs Uni-Shelter (aka ISS) overall pretty good, but the hoops take a beating, and back in 93ish.they didn't have the longer version, thus felt kinda cramped.  Still gets used on a regular basis...............but seems the girlfriend wants a tent!  I did a few simple mods to my issue bivy, hence the webbing ties and Velcro for netting and never had a problem with it, and was almost 5 yrs before i had to make my first repair.  If one goes to a Crown Assets auction, its truly sickening the amount of serviceable kit that has been deemed non-serviceable for nothing more than a small hole..............always kinda figured that's what repair kits were for!

lostrover -Do you still use this Mod on your current Bivy bag? Got any photos of this mod you did? Sounds like a good idea. I'm a middle sized person. I don't have a terrible time getting in and out of the sleeping bag with Bivy bag. However It would make it easier if they had a waterproof zipper on one of the sides or down the middle. That would be a nice addition to the a Bivy bag for easier access in an out. I hope the ISS has a zipper along the edges making it easier to get in and out. 

Just a thought.

Well just like all kit, if this turns out to be a great piece of kit, it will never get past the testing phase. Just like all the kit that we have, the stuff that would actually do us any good out in the field would be too expensive. So they either make something kind of like it but way worse or scrap the whole thing. The bivy bag is good enough and does its job.

Any East Timor vets out there?  If I recall correctly, everyone who went to East Timor was issued some sort of off the shelf pers shelter system with integrated bug net, etc.  Couple friends of mine really liked theirs, but they didn't have to carry them much.

TAC MP said:
lostrover -Do you still use this Mod on your current Bivy bag? Got any photos of this mod you did? Sounds like a good idea. I'm a middle sized person. I don't have a terrible time getting in and out of the sleeping bag with Bivy bag. However It would make it easier if they had a waterproof zipper on one of the sides or down the middle. That would be a nice addition to the a Bivy bag for easier access in an out. I hope the ISS has a zipper along the edges making it easier to get in and out. 

Just a thought.

The ones pictured at the top of this thread are very roomy units, don't confuse these "one man tent's" with hooped bivy's.  The ones at the top have 4 poles, two large ones that criss cross at the head, and two smaller ones that cross at the feet.  There is provisions for pegs, which when deployed tighten the entire unit, and make it a proper tent.  The entire foot box can unzip twice, once to lower the outer layer of waterproof material, and again to lower the bug netting at the foot.  The top of the unit has a 6 by 6 tarp made of ultra light material to cover your kit if you just place it over it, or to act as a small covered admin area if you peg it and tie it out.  This tarp is zippered on, and when damaged is discarded and replaced.  There is also a full entrance at the head, again with the twice opening entrance, the head and foot are just like you would find in the door on a civvy tent, so you don't actually need to work two zippers to get out of the thing.  The main body opens to just below my knees and at 6 foot, that should be enough for most.  The zipper starts at your knees, and continues up and across your head/shoulders area much like a cadpat coffin.  This again has the same style of waterproof material, and then the bug net sewn in.  Ventilation is achieved by opening the head and toe, and facing the unit into the wind if needed.  All the zippers are that MEC style waterproof zipper, with the membrane on the outside.  Unfortunately this project is part of a larger one, called SSS (Soldier Survivabilty Systems) which has been put on the back burner or is in the very early phases of creation right now.   

Bomber-Thanks for the details on the ISS. I take it you trialed it or knew someone who did? I was hoping someone would post first hand knowledge of this item-thank you. By the sounds of it, it looks like they have thought of many of the "concerns" that we have discussed here on this thread. I have a warm fuzzy now! ;D

Could be few years now for the ISS or the SSS.
Thanks again for the info.

I was a "model/talking dummy" for CTS/DLR stuff when I worked there for 2 years.  I still get some stuff out of them, and can answer questions on most of the stuff inservice or coming someday...

Back