• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Indian Summer' Movie about Oka Crisis

UberCree

Inactive
Reaction score
Trailer is available for download.

http://www.cineteleaction.com/en/pages/OKA.html

Looks far from unbiased to me,just from the preview that is.
Wouldn't waste my money on it,just wait till it comes to CBC as a three part series.Then I may watch it just to rant over the oka flag waving and how white man done so wrong.

Think its the first Canadian native movie that isn't starring Mr.Green in a lead role!

Who knows maybe the sequel will be on events happening today......

rcac_011 said:
Looks far from unbiased to me,just from the preview that is.
Wouldn't waste my money on it,just wait till it comes to CBC as a three part series.Then I may watch it just to rant over the oka flag waving and how white man done so wrong.

Umm...white men of Oka town council did do wrong.

How would you like it if someone wanted to turn a graveyard, where your entire family was buried for generations, into a golf course without permission?

I'd be a bit pissed off too. However, it should not have degenerated into what it became.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Umm...white men of Oka town council did do wrong.

I'd be a bit pissed off too. However, it should not have degenerated into what it became.

Regards

+1
But no Green....it cant be a good movie.Fall movie series on cbc for sure.

Indian Summer: The Oka Crisis
two-part, four-hour miniseries begins this Friday, September 15th at 8:00 pm on CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/television/friday.html

Saw the first part tonight.

Some things are over-exaggerated, no doubt for impact on the audience. Acting is atrocious of course, but the story is based loosely on fact.

I'll give part 2 a chance....see if they completely blow it out of proportion or not.

Regards

Mods, feel free to move this one to the most appropriate forum if this doesn't fit here.

I'm watching the CBC program "Indian Summer, the Oka Crisis", interesting to say the least at this point.  Any thoughts or comments from anyone who's currently watching this or seen this program previously?

I seen a bit last night, feel asleep. I had a long day. But I want to see it again.

How accurate is this movie? For example, is there any record of soldiers brutally beating one of the militants who was sleeping in his defensive position. I mean, this movie seems to be portraying the CF as a bunch of bloodthirsty, lying thugs. Anyone else get this impression?

Big Foot said:
How accurate is this movie? For example, is there any record of soldiers brutally beating one of the militants who was sleeping in his defensive position. I mean, this movie seems to be portraying the CF as a bunch of bloodthirsty, lying thugs. Anyone else get this impression?

Well, it's the CBC, after all.. HAven't seen it.. but it doesn't surprise me.

Big Foot said:

After watching this, I tend to feel a heavy CBC emphasis on the poor plight of the natives involved in this, with the Mohawk Warrior Society almost "romanticized" if you will for a lack of better terms.  Is there actually any documented evidence of a section of Canadian soldiers sneeking up on a sleeping warrior, beating him to within an inch of his life?  Because the movie placed emphasis on this happening. 

I ask this as I really dont know, not trying to be smart.

I have to agree with MP 811 on this one. I would be very interested to know where some of these so-called facts came from. I really did not appreciate the portrayal of Canadian soldiers that the movie displayed. Overall, I only saw the last hour of the series but I must admit, I wasn't overly impressed.

One of the most glaring things to strike me was when a camera was following a marching trooper being repeatedly punched and slapped by a hysterical native woman yelling, "they're beating us, they're beating us! Can't you see? They're beating us!" There were other native women following in tow cursing him with the most vile insults. The trooper had this look on his face like he was begging someone to get him out of there. Of course, had he lifted a finger against this woman...

Was there not a Native organization in Winnipeg that was funding, filming and producing this project?  I seem to remember someone posting links to their site here several months ago.  That would explain the point of view being put forward.

I still can't get over Louis Riel now being a National Hero, with schools named after him and a province actually thinking of creating a holiday in his name........Sorry for the sidetrack. 

Found it and a couple of others in Military History  and merged them to this one.

DCRabbit said:
Well, it's the CBC, after all.. HAven't seen it.. but it doesn't surprise me.

What's the CBC got to do with it?  It wasn't a CBC production.

From my memory of events, the deployed troops were firm but fair.  We did not give ground.

If a soldier had beaten a dozy/sleepy warrior to an inch of his life, you better believe that the media would have been all over the CF for having mistreated same said native.

Remember Ronald Cross doing his warrior screeching and gesturing into the face of R22R Cpl Cloutier - and same said Cpl doing his best ceremonial guard stare.... Gawd but the media lapped that one up.

There was that RCR team that was transported to the outskirts of Kanawake & a tug of war between Native & RCR over a certain service rifle.... filmed by the media... a big tug of war - if memory serves me right... but we got our rifle back - in the end.

Oka, the Ice storm, the Winnipeg floods certainly contributed to the CF being recognized by the Canadian public as being "good" & appreceated.

I didn't watch this "movie" because, well, they didn't ask my input.  I mean, what of the young native lad that came to me one day, asking if we were in the "RCR Regiment" (sic).  When we answered yes, he shook my hand, and the hands of the rest of the section for "saving his life" the day previous.  (He was being chased by an angry mob of "whities" from Chateauguay, and we brought him into our lines so that he could go home.)  Then what of the woman who asked us to protect her house from the Warriors.  (She was native).  She was more worried about her four year old daughter than herself, and was quite grateful that we were there.

So, I missed the movie, only saw parts of it, and since they showed nothing (really) of the 2 RCR battle group at Ste Catherine, I decided not to watch it.  If anyone wants to hear "war stories" from Oka, well, don't ask me, cause I only saw it first hand, but from the hatch of a track.

Big Foot said:

Let's not also forget the last part where the SQ are similarly portrayed, with them beating a militant tied to a chair to find out who shot Cpl. Lemay. 

Back