• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Independent Quebec will have own army: Duceppe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maritime_Matt

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian Press

--

OTTAWA â ” An independent Quebec would have its own military forces and spy service, says Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe, taking a firm stand on a traditionally wrenching issue for separatists.

"There'll be an army, of course," Mr. Duceppe said Tuesday in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"We have to have those organizations, I would say."

The leader of the sovereigntist Bloc indicated the notion of creating a distinct security apparatus in a newly independent Quebec was no longer as controversial as it has been in the past.

"I went around Quebec saying the same thing I just said to you, and I see no opposition at all," Mr. Duceppe said.

The provincial Parti Québécois has wrestled for years with the question of a military force for a sovereign Quebec. Past general meetings of the PQ have included emotional pleas against a Quebec armed forces.

But the independence movement needs to evolve, Mr. Duceppe said. That evolution might begin in about 10 days.

The Bloc will examine the role the nascent armed forces of Quebec might play at a policy meeting in Montreal that begins Oct. 28.

"What kind of foreign policy will we have? What kind of national defence? What kind of equipment, and so on?"

The threat of terrorism has also forced sovereignty supporters to re-evaluate the security needs of an independent Quebec, the Bloc leader said.

Quebec shares a lengthy border with the United States, which has been very demanding of Ottawa on issues related to security since the Sept. 11 airliner attacks.

Mr. Duceppe acknowledged those demands, while criticizing the federal government for rushing out to buy new military equipment without clearly defining what it wants the Canadian Armed Forces to do.

For instance, he said instead of submarines the military might be better off with "smart ships" that could transport troops and equipment to disaster zones and be transformed into floating hospitals.

"If you develop a foreign policy the way we see it, then we'll have an army that will intervene mainly to secure democracy in some countries, participating in international forces, going when there's a natural catastrophe, either inside Quebec or outside Quebec," Mr. Duceppe said.

"And sometimes you have to go to war."

Defence Department documents prepared in the tense months leading up to the October 1995 sovereignty referendum â ” narrowly won by No forces â ” said an independent Quebec would find it "very costly" to develop a full-fledged military and could have difficulty gaining entry to NATO and other international alliances.

An internal memo noted such a force would require land facilities, equipment, personnel and the full spectrum of training tools and manuals.

It said "an indication of the costs" of maintaining a credible force for Quebec, with a population of 7.3 million, could be determined through comparisons with other countries.

For instance, Austria, population 7.5 million, had a defence budget of $2.3 billion, while Sweden, with 8 million people, spent $6.9-billion on its military. Expenditures by Norway and Switzerland figured between the two extremes.

As the 1995 referendum approached, the Parti Québécois government of the day said that, after separation, the province would take part in UN peacekeeping missions and take steps to remain a member of NATO and NORAD.

The Defence Department memo concluded "it is impossible to determine whether an independent Quebec would eventually gain entry" to these organizations. "However, it is unlikely that membership would be automatic."

Mr. Duceppe said while an independent Quebec would co-operate on security issues with the rest of Canada, the United States and Mexico, he stressed the importance of forging alliances with European partners.

He cited a need to examine the roots of terrorist activity and warned that if people surrender liberty in favour of undue security measures to thwart terrorists, "you're playing their game."

Mr. Duceppe made it clear his party would continue to send MPs to Ottawa as long as Quebeckers want sovereigntists to represent them.

The secessionist Bloc was formed in 1990 as an angry response to unsuccessful attempts to satisfy Quebec's constitutional demands. The party was seen initially as a temporary force on the federal scene â ” the so-called "shock troops" of Quebec independence.

But 15 years later the party has become a fixture in Parliament, cementing its dominance in Quebec by securing 54 of the province's 75 seats in the 2004 election.

--

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051019/quebec_army_duceppe_051019/20051019?hub=Canada

The Bloc has continued to lead in polls of Quebec voters amid revelations of federal misspending in the sponsorship affair, a scandal many Quebeckers see as demeaning.

Still, it is unclear when, or even if, the Quebec government will put sovereignty to another ballot.

:rofl:

I needed that. Bombardier could build their fleets of tanks and such.......

We need'nt worry....they'll fall apart before they cross the LOD!  ;D

Seriously...WTF is he smoking?

Regards

There are country's that have populations with less than 500,000 people who have armies, so if Quebec ever does separate with a population of 7.5 million I do not see the problem here.

But do not forget that this is coming from a separatist and all he is looking for is press, good or bad. And like Paris Hilton he wants to stay in the press, any publicity he can get is good, he also wants to keep the question of separation in the minds of Canadians and more so Quebecers, so all this rhetoric is just that, rhetoric.

Plus, keep in mind that Quebec has been trying to seperate for ever, and it has yet to happen!

Quebec could easily support a Military of 60,000 with a population of 7.5m.  If they did break off from Canada I have a feeling there is going to a lot of unemployeed people in Quebec, and joining the army would be very popular.  In fact it might be the shot on arm that rest of Canada needs to actaully put money in and keep in the CF, but apart from Ontario i don't see the west sticking around.  We've always run things from the center i.e Ontario and recently ( since the 1960's) Quebec and this has done nothing for making this a country from sea to sea; so if one the blocks falls out the whole thing fall down.  The only good thing i can think of to come out of it would be lose of feberal liberal party, could be worth it for that along. ;D

The separation issue is still a funny topic (why are they still on about it?).

Well make sure they take their share of National debt when they go,  But how will they organize their Military when they go?  We will take back all Canadian articles, equipment and facilities. 

All the infrastructure they would have to buy or rebuild might bankrupt them.  Lots to think about for the budding separatist in the military.

MOOO! said:
Well make sure they take their share of National debt when they go,   But how will they organize their Military when they go?   We will take back all Canadian articles, equipment and facilities.  

All the infrastructure they would have to buy or rebuild might bankrupt them.   Lots to think about for the budding separatist in the military.

As far as I know, people from Quebec pays taxes as much as any other Canadians. Thus, the Fed infrastructure belongs to Quebec too. Do the math...

As you brought up Taxes, why should Alberta and Ontario Taxpayers support Quebec along with the Maritimes, BC and Manitoba and Saskatchewan?  Quebec gets more than it pays. 

Like the child who leaves home, but still comes home to Mom for food and an allowance, not to mention to do its' dirty laundry.  ;D

You must understand the history in Quebec to understand everything that goes on there, there was three parties in Quebec in the 60's when the Parti Quebecois (PQ) came around and the Liberals where the party in power. In the mid 70's I voted for the PQ as many in Quebec did, not because of the separation issue, but mainly they where all young and where either journalists (like Ralph Klein), teachers or unionists and had a vision for Quebec aside from separation and the Liberals where just full of corruption at every turn, even the premiere at the time was caught favouring his family with road construction contract (remember the Olympics in Montreal).

So many people that brought them to power where not separatists but just angry at the political issues and coroption that was going on at the time. So a vote for the Block or the PQ does not equal separation, and from looking around I can say that there are less than 25% of the people that are true separatists, so you have to take what you hear with a grain of salt.

MdB said:
As far as I know, people from Quebec pays taxes as much as any other Canadians. Thus, the Fed infrastructure belongs to Quebec too. Do the math...

So does a proportional percentage of the Federal Debt.  Want to a bet that they plan on denying that little liability on their balance sheet?

Matthew.  :blotto:

Keep it on the story topic, we have waaaay too many threads already on "he said, she said".

IF Quebec did seperate, and IF they formed a military, what would that mean for serving CF Members who are either born or reside in Quebec?

How many of these members do you think would leave the CF to join a Quebec military?

>An independent Quebec would have its own military forces and spy service

Duh. I'm sure it'll have its own foreign service diplomats and dogcatchers, too.

Sig_Des said:
How many of these members do you think would leave the CF to join a Quebec military?

That is a tough question, but my question to you is (not knowing witch province you are from) what would you do if your province separated. I am sure if Alberta separated from Canada, that all of the people from Alberta would feel some loyalty to their Province of birth. I myself live in Quebec and I have no plans on moving to a other province, I am not a separatist and have my loyalty to Canada, but if I wanted to stay in Quebec and be part of the Forces, what would I do? This is a very hard question. But again, this is rhetoric and I do not see Quebec separating.

George Wallace said:
As you brought up Taxes, why should Alberta and Ontario Taxpayers support Quebec along with the Maritimes, BC and Manitoba and Saskatchewan?   Quebec gets more than it pays.  

That's the point of having the taxes transfers between the provinces, so the the whole Canada may be more equal and more united. Without that, you get deals one-to-one like the Fed. Liberals are doing lately and in my opinion, this is demolishing the country.

If Quebec would separate, it would get its share of infrastructure AND of depts. Anyway, as I once said, I see Alberta getting out before Quebec. I'd bet on that horse, or that bull... ;)

[EDIT]
Oh, and I would rather see taxes tranfers as it's done in Germany, directly from province to province. It would decentralize the whole thing, safe a lot of cash (that we could invest somewhere else...), would give more power to all provinces and we wouldn't see deals to keep power in Ottawa.
[/EDIT]

Chop said:
I myself live in Quebec and I have no plans on moving to a other province, I am not a separatist and have my loyalty to Canada, but if I wanted to stay in Quebec and be part of the Forces, what would I do? This is a very hard question. But again, this is rhetoric and I do not see Quebec separating.

Same here. If find it somewhat a catch 22... let's forget about that for now.

hmm. Interesting.I was born in Quebec, and the majority of my family resides there. But I also consider myself a Canadian, who takes great stock in the French-Canadian influence...this is hopefully something we never face

Listen guys!

I'm french and I don't care about what Duceppe says!

Mr. Duceppe acknowledged those demands, while criticizing the federal government for rushing out to buy new military equipment without clearly defining what it wants the Canadian Armed Forces to do.

He's on crack!
We need those chinooks and cargo planes. If we rush, it's because we know what we lack and need bad. Plus, we need the gear for a long time. Creating jobs with those procurements? Blah, Blah, Blah... We need the gear, period.

I'm Canadian, and proud of it. He could stick that army up is.....

Quebec would never survive a split - succession from Canada would give equal moral imperitive to the Native peoples of the province's resource rich North who voted overwhelmingly "Non" (90 percentile and up) in 1995.   We saw this in the US Civil War with West Virginia (an area that strongly opposed succession) seperating from Virginia and becoming the 35th state in the Union.  All that would be left would be a poor but noisy strip along the St Lawrence river....

Hypothetically, if they were to seperate, I don't see them having to build to much infrastructure to support the "Quebec Army", The will have a very large recruit school (The Mega), a large army base (Valcartier), an air base (Bagotville), and a supply depot (25CFSD in Montreal).  I mean yes the CF can pull most of its people and equipment out, but this ain't Starcraft, you can't pick these bases up and move them somewhere else in the country.  Which brings me to where would we train CF recruits, we don't have any other large scale training facility anywhere else in the country. 

Hatchet Man said:
Hypothetically, if they were to seperate, I don't see them having to build to much infrastructure to support the "Quebec Army", The will have a very large recruit school (The Mega), a large army base (Valcartier), an air base (Bagotville), and a supply depot (25CFSD in Montreal).   I mean yes the CF can pull most of its people and equipment out, but this ain't Starcraft, you can't pick these bases up and move them somewhere else in the country.   Which brings me to where would we train CF recruits, we don't have any other large scale training facility anywhere else in the country.

Reopen Cornwallis?  Expand in Gagetown?  Build a new facility?  Use your imagination (whiich is really all this entire thread is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back