• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Income Tax Question

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of recent discussions here have me wondering (and this is specific to the Reserve world, as I am  unfamiliar with the Regular Force culture) about the state of JR messes.  Officers, Regs, retired, feel free to join the discussion, though.

My own perspective (as one who hasn't been to the mess in at least two years except on Rememberance Day or for regimental functions) is that there are significant problems, and these were highlighted in a recent thread here where a couple of BC troops indicated that unsavoury activities go on.

We are told that our messes are dying.  Even the officers mess in our armoury seems to be open much less now during off hours than before.  But on entering the mess, it is my idea of what a military mess should be - the Colours were recently transferred from the COs office to a new case in the lounge area, there are hardwood floors and carpeting, and paintings of military scenes (though oddly, the RAUSI gents put up air force pics in our Army mess) and ancient trophies behind glass cabinets.

The junior ranks club, which is instantly subsidized because of the CFAO demanding we belong to a mess, is painted a hideous shade of green, with the real oak walls showing 60 years of layers of paint (they tried to sand them down last summer but were told to stop half way through because of lead contamination), with a "snake pit" they lobbied for years to get (and couldn't, because our band room was occupying the space) where you could OH BOY take off your combat shirt and parade around in a t-shirt.

If one wanted to spend some time after duty on a parade night, quietly reflecting on the day's accomplishments or perhaps talking to a buddy in another unit, well, you walk in, try and see someone through the haze of smoke, if you do see them you can try talking to them over the loud heavy metal crap playing on the stereo system (the most expensive piece of equipment in the Armouries, including the stuff in the racks in the weapons lock up), and the TV which is on simultaneously and competing with the stereo, though there are 200 channels and NOTHING ON.

You give up on the idea of conversation to watch 19 year old kids drink themselves sick, occasionally kick the crap out of each other (causing the mess to be closed for two months, for which you don't get your dues reimbursed, see the CFAOs - you have to belong, but it doesn't have to be open), throw stuff on the floor, throw garbage out the window, over the furniture (which is beat to ratshit), puke on the pool table, and play bizarre games, if you can stay up that late, like buck-buck and Zulu Warrior.  The youngest and most immature usually compete to see who can be loudest (and loudest equals funniest, apparently). 

God forbid if you would have wanted to bring your girlfriend with you (there are civvie girls occasionally, they mostly are underaged high school girls who think they have a boyfriend in the unit, but are really just a steady lay, or else the occasional slutty girl who might actually be a prostitute instead of just dressing like one.

Is it like this all over?

Best kind of mess, to me?  And this is not an original idea, one of the drummers in the regiment wanted to do this after serving in the Regs in Germany.  This was when we had a regular force presence in town - he thought he could make a killing by owning a pub called the Scarlet and French-Grey and setting it up near the unit lines of 1 VP.  An alternate to the mess, as it were.

So why not do it with reserve units?  Get rid of that stupid CFAO - you want me to support the mess?  Make it worth belonging to.  You have my money now, but not my loyalty, and I won't spend a penny on drinks or events or tips for the disinterested long hair scruffy civvie bartender.

Set it up across the street from the Armouries, make it open to the public, with pictures of the regiment on the walls, and a big sign out front - The Royal Highland Fusilier, or The Queen's Own Rifleman, or The Buglehorn or The Oak Leaf Club, The Black Hat, or even The Guns, Thank God, The Guns!.  Have a back room just for "members" (serving soldiers and guests), and run the place for profit.  I'd gladly play dues for a place like that, with oak walls and hardwood floors, and photos of brave men long dead wearing the same badges as we are, with a well dressed bartender, and clean glasses, and a no-smoking section.

And then I could go in, and civilians could mix with the soldiers, who would be wearing all their clothes and not indulging in questionable homo-erotic initiaion rituals that they tell newcomers are centuries old tradition, but are really some alcohol-baptized fantasy leftover from a parade night three years ago.  Make the public section open to all ranks; let the Sgts and Officers stay in their messes at the armouries, or allow them into the public section of the establishment, if they want to mix with the troops/civvies.

Community footprint...wow, you might even convince girls of virtue to show up.  Try finding one of those at an armouries party on a Friday night.

Comments?

EDITED subject line, just to draw the heat off of myself.  Don't have to be a moderator to do that, either, in case you're wondering... ;)

Michael Dorosh said:
The junior ranks club, which is instantly subsidized because of the CFAO demanding we belong to a mess, is painted a hideous shade of green, with the real oak walls showing 60 years of layers of paint (they tried to sand them down last summer but were told to stop half way through because of lead contamination), with a "snake pit" they lobbied for years to get (and couldn't, because our band room was occupying the space) where you could OH BOY take off your combat shirt and parade around in a t-shirt.

If one wanted to spend some time after duty on a parade night, quietly reflecting on the day's accomplishments or perhaps talking to a buddy in another unit, well, you walk in, try and see someone through the haze of smoke, if you do see them you can try talking to them over the loud heavy metal shit playing on the stereo system (the most expensive piece of equipment in the Armouries, including the stuff in the racks in the weapons lock up), and the TV which is on simultaneously and competing with the stereo, though there are 200 channels and NOTHING ON.

You give up on the idea of conversation to watch 19 year old kids drink themselves sick, occasionally kick the shit out of each other (causing the mess to be closed for two months, for which you don't get your dues reimbursed, see the CFAOs - you have to belong, but it doesn't have to be open), throw stuff on the floor, throw garbage out the window, over the furniture (which is beat to ratshit), puke on the pool table, and play bizarre games, if you can stay up that late, like buck-buck and Zulu Warrior.   The youngest and most immature usually compete to see who can be loudest (and loudest equals funniest, apparently).  

God forbid if you would have wanted to bring your girlfriend with you (there are civvie girls occasionally, they mostly are underaged high school girls who think they have a boyfriend in the unit, but are really just a steady lay, or else the occasional slutty girl who might actually be a prostitute instead of just dressing like one.

Sounds like the Army to me.  ;)

If that's how the Army wants to be, they're welcome to it. I resent having to subsidize it with my hard earned salary though.  If they think a "club" would survive like that without enforced membership, let them try it.  If it can't survive on its own, well, what is the difference between that, and extorting taxpayers in order to buy stuff like VOICE OF FIRE for the National Gallery?

Michael Dorosh said:
a no-smoking section.

AFAIK, all messes are non-smoking, have been for about a year now. Before that, we had an agreed-upon smoking section (near the open windows.)

If you want to smoke in the mess in Pet you will have to go out onto the balcony.

As a former PMC of a Jr Ranks Mess a few years ago. What you have stated in your writing is nothing like my mess nor any Jr Ranks Mess that I have been a member of (4 in total over 16 yrs - two airforce, one army, and one in Rockcliffe (Ottawa) ).

Our mess here is a relaxed atmosphere where we have a safe place to go instead of dealing with the "daycares" downtown and all the going's on at them. I feel safe enough in going to mess by myself not worrying about the drunks harrassing me or having to sit there by myself. I always know at least one or two persons in the mess and sit down and chat about the goings on around base or just life in general. We have a close knit group and we watch out for each other (especially during Ex Maple Flag when all the foreigners invade).

Our mess has generated income (largely due to the foreigners from Flag) but we always have events for us to bring our special others to without having to worry. I have brought my family (including my mother to my mess with her comments of what a nice place to be able to get away from everything).

Our mess dues here are probably the cheapest in the CF, but we have plenty of events (dances, bands, karaoke nights, TGIF twice a month, sports, etc.) Our club has always been kept up with new chairs, tables, flooring, electronic equipment in the DJ booth (we have the only Video Dance equipment in town!) Our Mess committees (current and past) have always taken pride in their Club and what it stands for (Esprit de Corps!).

We have four areas; a dance floor area which is beautiful, a Snake Pit area with all the pool tables, snooker tables, TVs galour for the sports fanatics, shuffle board, and dart boards, a Dry Canteen where we can bring our families in for lunch or supper from our in house Canteen (awesome food btw), and a downstairs lounge that is utlizied frequently by all sorts of clubs and private parties for our members. Then of course there is the TV lounge with the sound system anybody would kill to have in their living room along with I believe a PS2 and games for all those members that are living in or here on course that need a place to hang out.

And like Sig Bloggins stated, our mess has been smoke free since last spring. Our outdoor smoking pit has been covered and we have portable heaters to keep the smokers warm during the long winter months here. This spring they are getting outdoor speakers and lighting so that we can enjoy the outdoors more. Plus we have two heavy duty barbeques that were purchased two years ago that are constantly used by our members for steaks and the Squadrons on base utilize this area quite a bit in the spring and fall.

The mess is a place of refuge from the world and a relaxed place to hang out with friends from work or yes even bringing in friends from downtown. Yes, there are the few (and I mean few) trouble makers that will get drunk and disorderly but when you have pride in your Jr Ranks Mess those are taken care of very promptly by either a buddy getting him home or if the case need be disciplinary action usually resolves that problem quickly.

I feel sorry for you Michael with the sounds of it, your Mess needs to be cleaned up and its members need to start having pride in their Club and turn it into a place where everyone will feel comfortable in going and bringing their friends to. Why don't you volunteer and get on the Mess Committee? It sounds like you have what it takes to get the job done and perhaps rally some of your peers into doing the same. It doesn't take much, believe me!

Good luck!

Michael Dorosh said:
My own perspective (as one who hasn't been to the mess in at least two years except on Rememberance Day or for regimental functions) is that there are significant problems, and these were highlighted in a recent thread here where a couple of BC troops indicated that unsavoury activities go on.

If one wanted to spend some time after duty on a parade night, quietly reflecting on the day's accomplishments or perhaps talking to a buddy in another unit, well, you walk in, try and see someone through the haze of smoke, if you do see them you can try talking to them over the loud heavy metal crap playing on the stereo system (the most expensive piece of equipment in the Armouries, including the stuff in the racks in the weapons lock up), and the TV which is on simultaneously and competing with the stereo, though there are 200 channels and NOTHING ON.

You give up on the idea of conversation to watch 19 year old kids drink themselves sick, occasionally kick the crap out of each other (causing the mess to be closed for two months, for which you don't get your dues reimbursed, see the CFAOs - you have to belong, but it doesn't have to be open), throw stuff on the floor, throw garbage out the window, over the furniture (which is beat to ratshit), puke on the pool table, and play bizarre games, if you can stay up that late, like buck-buck and Zulu Warrior.   The youngest and most immature usually compete to see who can be loudest (and loudest equals funniest, apparently).  

If you don't like it, unlike the rest of the Army, the Mess is a democracy. Bring it up at your Mess meeting. Failing that, run yourself for PMC. IF you are not in the minority, you can change it, if you are in the minority, you'll have to suck it up.

Michael Dorosh said:
Set it up across the street from the Armouries, make it open to the public, with pictures of the regiment on the walls, and a big sign out front - The Royal Highland Fusilier, or The Queen's Own Rifleman, or The Buglehorn or The Oak Leaf Club, The Black Hat, or even The Guns, Thank God, The Guns!.   Have a back room just for "members" (serving soldiers and guests), and run the place for profit.   I'd gladly play dues for a place like that, with oak walls and hardwood floors, and photos of brave men long dead wearing the same badges as we are, with a well dressed bartender, and clean glasses, and a no-smoking section.

And then I could go in, and civilians could mix with the soldiers, who would be wearing all their clothes and not indulging in questionable homo-erotic initiaion rituals that they tell newcomers are centuries old tradition, but are really some alcohol-baptized fantasy leftover from a parade night three years ago.   Make the public section open to all ranks; let the Sgts and Officers stay in their messes at the armouries, or allow them into the public section of the establishment, if they want to mix with the troops/civvies.

Community footprint...wow, you might even convince girls of virtue to show up.   Try finding one of those at an armouries party on a Friday night.

Comments?

Sounds like a bar. There are plenty of bars around, go there. We're talking about Military Messes, which HAS a bar located in it, but is a complately different animal. It seems you have lost touch with your fellow soldiers and no longer enjoy or identify with a major aspect of military life as a Jr Rank - the Mess. How you remedy that is your business, but changing the Mess to fit your ideals is the wrong way to go. Those troops seem to be enjoying themselves in the way that most other Western Armies do, and have been doing for some time (your a Historian, you should know that). I think the issue is you, not the Mess.

I agree with Caesar completely

The nature of the beast is that the majority of Junior ranks are yound 20 something kids (i.e. me) who enjoy boozing and having a good time.

Your right our mess furniture is in shit state but we dont have the funding or the money (I agree the TV money could have been better spent). Our mess is the most profitable mess out of every mess in Calgary, and money has been slated towards buying furniture, its just a matter of getting it done. However, regardless of the flaws you see in the mess I do not feel that someone who is never in our mess, even during some mess meetings should be speaking of it in a derogative manner, particularily on an open forum.

Our mess has events, that are well attended by the majority of members. I for one have never been harrassed by any drunks, yes there are drunks but troops will be troops. Yet for he some reason I dont recall you coming out, even during sedate events like the hockey play offs? Funny, must have missed you?::)

Our mess could be a lot nicer, we have petitioned brigade and CE for rennovations to no avail. If you have an issue with the mess, the events, our how it is run, come to a mess meeting and bring it up. I would be more than happy to discuss how we could improve the mess for everyone. Barring that bring it up personnally to someone on the mess committee, particularily your unit rep. You need to consider Eprit Du Corp that you speak of in the comments that you have made on an open forum, keep it in the family and discuss it with the mess members, before complete strangers

If this sounds like a rant it is, because I am quite offended by your comments on our mess.

You SHOULD be offended. I brought your issue (Mess business staying in the Mess) in the other thread that Michael mentioned. Don't bother looking for it, the post, and others, have been deleted.

It's simple troops: What happens in the Mess, stays in the Mess. Mess business is private to the members of that Mess. Just as I don't want my mother coming on here and telling the world how when I was 5 I shat my pants at Playland, I don't feel it's appropriate for people to openly air their Mess' dirty laundry. It's not on. If you consider your Regiment to be your (second) family, treat it as such. If not, get out and join a piantball club.

I was actually talking about Caesar's mess as well and wondering if any other messes fit the bill (if the shoe fits, wear it).   I haven't been in a number of years, so perhaps things have changed.   I know I'm not the only one to feel this way, though.

I never thought being in the military was reason to act like an unprincipled boor; its no better than the army cadets I was with that thought that being in uniform was a license to ride the C-Train for free and to shoplift from convenience stores while in uniform.  

The renovations guys did their best; they volunteered their time and worked hard - and were rightfully pissed when the cease and desist order came down due to, AFAICR, a false lead poisoning scare.

Bottom line - I have no desire to go watch you twenty-somethings act like asses.   I'd like to sit in quiet contemplation with some comrades, perhaps a nice place to bring a girl to and meet the significant others of some of the other troops.   Wouldn't dream of doing that in our mess.   Shouting myself hoarse over the magnified white noise coming through the stereo ain't my idea of fun.   Since that apparently IS the idea of fun for the majority, fill your boots - it just bothers me that I am required to subsidize you with my mess dues.  Changing the CFAOs is not in my purview unfortunately.

I suppose I can get off my ass and work towards a promotion to sergeant if it really bothers me.   ;D

No offense intended, just soliciting some of the other opinions out there, as it seemed like previous discussions I've had here and elsewhere identified these kinds of concerns in other areas as well.

Im am concerned that you have these feelings, as Ceasar pointed out the regiment should be a second family, talk with Jamie or anyone else on the mess committee, including myself, and we will try and work something out that is equitable for everyone. We will never change the boistrous nature of young soldiers, nor would I try to, however both ends of the spectrum should be represented in the mess. Everyone should feel comfortable to be there. As to bringing civvies thats another thing, our priority is to the troops, I could care less if some civie, wether attached to someone in the regiment or not wants, or likes to be in the mess. As long as the majority of the troops are happy, and have a place to kick off their boots and relax, im happy.

PhilB said:
Im am concerned that you have these feelings, as Ceasar pointed out the regiment should be a second family, talk with Jamie or anyone else on the mess committee, including myself, and we will try and work something out that is equitable for everyone. We will never change the boistrous nature of young soldiers, nor would I try to, however both ends of the spectrum should be represented in the mess. Everyone should feel comfortable to be there. As to bringing civvies thats another thing, our priority is to the troops, I could care less if some civie, wether attached to someone in the regiment or not wants, or likes to be in the mess. As long as the majority of the troops are happy, and have a place to kick off their boots and relax, im happy.

I appreciate your conciliatory attitude.  But that is the point - the majority are already happy, so why change anything?  Stuff doesn't change when people are happy.  And you're not going to convince happy troops that hardwood floors take priority over a badass sound system, or that a dress code as simple as wearing your combat shirt is more important than "bonding."  I just think it's a shame that few can see the advantages to what I've suggested - mix with the public, hell, even get it out of the armouries.  We do that on Rememberance Day and St. Juliens/St Georges - sort of.  Most guys go to the Legion - great, support the veterans, I'm all for that.  Then maybe Cowboys at the end of the night, which is like Hooters on steroids.  But we're always looking for ways to improve our "footprint" in the community, what better way than by socializing?  Citizenship is a component of Army Cadet training, why not in the reserves, too?

I recall a few years ago one of the long service Master Corporals who was a private before I even joined talking about the mess back in HIS day.  The MCpls had their own tables at one end of the room, and if a Cpl or Pte did well on an exercise, he would be honoured by being invited to come sit with the seniors for an afternoon or evening.  Perhaps that smacks too much of a "class system", but he seemed awfully nostalgic for it.

We have a MCpl's lounge in our Mess. It's not enforced really anymore, as we had a time when there really weren't any Master Jacks. I'm all for not granting full-acceptance to new members, it makes them more appreciative of the Mess when they are fully accepted.

It seems to me, however, that Michael is experiencing something that we all go through - aging. We all get older, and wiser, but the young private are always 18-22 and full of piss and vinegar. As we get older, we identify less and less with them. For most of us (not Michael and I) that is usually remedied by going to the Sgts/WOs Mess. I'm not there so I have a choice: not go to the Mess, go and whine about how juvenile they are, or go and enjoy myself with my fellow Seaforth's.

I think you can guess what i do.  ;)

Remember, you have to drink Lucky to get lucky!

Michael Dorosh said:
I never thought being in the military was reason to act like an unprincipled boor;

No, but if you think soldiers are going to be tea-totalers, you are setting yourself up for dissapointment.

The renovations guys did their best; they volunteered their time and worked hard - and were rightfully pissed when the cease and desist order came down due to, AFAICR, a false lead poisoning scare.

We had the same problem at my old unit - the Mess was a shitpit, and when the Mess Committee tried to do something about it with all the mess dues, they got shut down by the Head Shed.  Really put a damper on troops trying to be creative.

Bottom line - I have no desire to go watch you twenty-somethings act like asses.   I'd like to sit in quiet contemplation with some comrades, perhaps a nice place to bring a girl to and meet the significant others of some of the other troops.

Our unit used to clean the place up and hold barbecues for this explicit purpose.  Sounds like someone should get off the armchair, head down to the mess, and organize some unit activites.

Wouldn't dream of doing that in our mess.   Shouting myself hoarse over the magnified white noise coming through the stereo ain't my idea of fun.   Since that apparently IS the idea of fun for the majority, fill your boots - it just bothers me that I am required to subsidize you with my mess dues.   Changing the CFAOs is not in my purview unfortunately.

I went to the Legion the other day and had a beer with a few of the members - sounds like that is the kind of atmosphere you are seeking.  

I think it is important to realize that a large portion of the Junior Ranks fit into a specific demographic - they are going to enjoy "acting like asses" because, well, that is what 20 year olds are supposed to do.

As for the CFAO's, I guess it is like paying for Healthcare or Welfare or something, some of us may not like the way the money is spent, but what can you do?

Good points, Infanteer.  I reluctantly see your point about health care and mess dues being akin.

Just a reminder to all that messes are established under the authority of the CO utilizing existing regulations and there is no inherent right for a mess to exist.  Secondly, messes are housed in federally controlled infrastructure and does not belong "solely" to the unit currently occupying the building.  Rightly or wrongly most regular force messes have moved towards a multi unit environment for cost saving reasons.  It is only logicial for reserve units to do the same. 

I was going to make the same point as Gunner. I'll add to it that the CO can approve or deny any renovations, purchases or activities of the mess. If your CO thinks the troops need a place to burn off a little steam, outside the public eye, then that's what the mess is for. However, it's also his responsibility of things get out of hand (recall the incident on the Island a few years back where an NCO died). The CO and RSM can also regulate things like the wearing of uniform in the mess. It's still CF property, and while there, in uniform or having discarded it, Reservists are subject to the Code of Service Discipline. Keep that in mind.

Caesar,

The demographic of Militia jr ranks may still be 18-22, but the reg force is seeing a significant increase in average recruit age. Even so, I'd like to observe that even during my time as a young reg force infanteer the mess was not as rowdy as the one I belonged to in the Militia. Not sure why that is.

I do agree with you that "what happens in the mess, stays in the mess" so long as there are no egregious breaches of discipline. However, I should point out that it was you and another who first alluded to mess activities on that other thread. Pull the 2x4 from your eye.

Michael,

As you mentioned, if you want the sort of staid collegial atmosphere you describe, perhaps you should get yourself promoted. Not only are things usually a bit calmer in the WOs' and Sgts' messes, they also usually have a better building in the first place.

Acorn

Michael Dorosh said:
loud heavy metal shit playing on the stereo system (the most expensive piece of equipment in the Armouries, including the stuff in the racks in the weapons lock up

....19 year old kids drink themselves sick, occasionally kick the shit out of each other (causing the mess to be closed for two months, for which you don't get your dues reimbursed, see the CFAOs - you have to belong, but it doesn't have to be open), throw stuff on the floor, throw garbage out the window, over the furniture (which is beat to ratshit), puke on the pool table, and play bizarre games, if you can stay up that late, like buck-buck and Zulu Warrior.   The youngest and most immature usually compete to see who can be loudest (and loudest equals funniest, apparently).  

tips for the disinterested long hair scruffy civvie bartender.

Comments?

Hi Mike,

It sounds like my old Mess 25 yrs ago, and right up to when I left it all in December 1994.

The same went on when I was 18 at the RGJRC in Regina, but we can throw in sinks being torn off the walls, spewing out the windows, and other mini-mayhems of activity. I remember the Ides of March 'beware' Dances, Halloween parties, toga parties, popcorn and porn nights, strippers, Christmas dances, Easter and NYE dances too. That Mess was the hub of activity and made a killing on us young and inspiring soldats from 7 Units in the City.

So, not much has changed in the going on 30yrs since then.

As for wildlife in the Mess, the same goes on here in some Units, but overall the Messes here are dead, but at some Messes in Holsworthy, and in Enoggera, plus down in Canberra, youthful animal acts continue, but have slowed somewhat in the PC world we now live in.

Measnwhile in the SGTs' Mess well, its 'menapause manour', and about as exciting as watching the paint dry. My Mess, the 1 Div SGTs' to lure members in is finally having some theme parties, with the first a beach party on 16 Apr. I have yet to decide, but for $30/yr vice the old 30/month back in Canada at some messes, there is not much to offer, but the same here, one must be a mess member.

Now for many, many yrs, I am well and way beyond all that wildness, and Ii just sit back, read the paper or watch a bit of FOXTEL, sipping a ginger ale or at worst a CC and coke. Its pretty quiet now. When I was living in at times, Iwas the only one there, and that disgusting for a Mess with 350+ members.

I am more keen to just take it easy, and I have no real desire with the exception to escape the base (although totally loving my posting and all that goes with it) and head home to my island paradise www.bribie.com.au each night settling into a swim, having quality time with Nancy, or checking my crab pots, just 125 barefoot steps from my front door.

Cheers,

Wes

I haven't been in a number of years, so perhaps things have changed

I go up to the mess quite a bit, and I think it's safe to say things have. First off, the place looks a lot better, the renovations were completed and the mess is now painted in the colours of the 3 units that use it. New lighting's also been put in, though the furniture's still the same.The new TV and accessories were purchased with the intent that members could hold functions to watch sporting events, pay per view etc, and there was a descent turnout during the final rounds of last year's NHL playoffs. As far as the member's conduct, unless a unit's celebrating something, it's usually pretty quiet. There may be an odd shenanigan but it's not nearly as rowdy as anything you've described. The music may be a tad loud sometimes but everyone seems to get by, and the controls are accessible if anyone wants to turn it down. I'll agree things can get out of hand during special occasions but I find the regular parade nights are nothing like that.

Back