• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Income tax exemption of 500 dollars

PigPen

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm or deny a rumour I have heard that in light of the Discontinuation of the Clothing upkeep allowance we are able to declare up to 500 dollars of dry cleaning, polish ect on income tax without receipts. Sounds kinda dodgy to me, but I thought I would put it out there and see if anyone knows.

Haven't heard that rumor, but it has been stated over and over and over that CUA was never for things like polish, dry cleaning, haircuts, and so on.  It was for replacement of DEU items, which are now covered by points.  Can't imagine any kind of magical new tax deduction for expenses that are not new.

For this tax year (meaning 2006) it's $250 and should go on line 363 "Canada Employment Amount" - next year (when you pay 2007) it is suppose to jump up to $1000.

It's not specifically for military - it's a general tax break the gov't is giving to anyone earning income.

My computer program did it for me automatically - however before you submit, make sure that line 363 has $250 in it.

Hmmm.... lessee what the guide says......

" under proposed legislation, employees are eligible to claim an employment amount.
Claim the lesser of 250$  AND the total employment income reported on lines 101 + 104.

I dunno, last time I talked to an accountant, his advice was "if you don't have receipts, don't claim it". Is it an allowable expense without supporting docs?

read the guide....
they do not specify anything about receipts
they only specify that you must be an employee of something or someone
They coulda just as easily added it to the basic exemption - but they did not.

Don't forget to claim your Jul to Dec bus passes &
Jul to Dec bills to keep your kids fit

Did some additionally checking as my interest is totally peaked on anything that can increase my rebates.
Budget 2006 proposes to introduce a new Canada Employment Credit in recognition of work-related expenses incurred by employees.

The new credit will take effect July 1, 2006, and will provide tax relief on the lesser of $500 and the individual’s employment income for the year. Because this measure will take effect mid-year, the maximum amount on which the credit is calculated will be $250 for the 2006 taxation year. For the 2007 and subsequent taxation years, the maximum amount on which the credit is calculated will be increased to $1,000. The tax credit for a taxation year will be calculated by reference to the lowest personal income tax rate for the taxation year (i.e. 15.25 per cent for 2006 and 15.5 per cent for the 2007 and subsequent taxation years). The amount on which the credit is based will be indexed after 2007.

This quote can be found @ http://community.intuit.ca/discussion/index.php?showtopic=22752

geo said:
Hmmm.... lessee what the guide says......

" under proposed legislation, employees are eligible to claim an employment amount.
Claim the lesser of 250$  AND the total employment income reported on lines 101 + 104.

Yeah, that's how it seemed to work when I did my taxes- a freebie tax credit if you hadn't already claimed that much from certain other credits. I know that between my education and my bus passes I wasn't able to grab the $250.

Had me wondering there...I just checked my taxes that I prepared using StudioTax, and it automatically claimed the $250 on line 363.

For anyone that hasn't done their taxes yet, I recommend StudioTax.  I used it last year and this year to do my taxes and NETFILE, and it worked like a charm.  It's free, too....well, actually it's donationware, meaning that a donation to the author is encouraged but not required.

http://www.studiotax.ca/

While we're on the subject of income tax...
Even though I've got some years in, its always been a thorn in my claw about paying mess dues and not being able to claim "union or like dues"  The argument has been passed back and forth for years about not paying mess dues and putting it into claimable charitable donations, or getting out of paying the dues entirely.
For the misguided--where does it say in black and white that we MUST pay mess dues?  Why are we not entitled to claim it?
The $250 on 363 sounds good, more money back in my pocket...whenever I get my T-4!!!! 
Anyone else still missing theirs??     
{the fubbling and misguided taxpaying soldier}

PS, suck it up buttercup is not an answer!

BYT Driver said:
While we're on the subject of income tax...
Even though I've got some years in, its always been a thorn in my claw about paying mess dues and not being able to claim "union or like dues"  The argument has been passed back and forth for years about not paying mess dues and putting it into claimable charitable donations, or getting out of paying the dues entirely.
For the misguided--where does it say in black and white that we MUST pay mess dues?  Why are we not entitled to claim it?
The $250 on 363 sounds good, more money back in my pocket...whenever I get my T-4!!!! 
Anyone else still missing theirs??   
{the fubbling and misguided taxpaying soldier}

Mess dues are not compulsory.  However, membership in a mess is compulsory, and if the mess membership votes in favour of having mess dues set at $X per month, then that's what your mess dues are.

Also, mess dues are not a "professional fee" required to obtain employment, therefore they're not claimable as an employment expense such as union dues or membership in a technical association are.

Every year some people try to claim Mess Dues as professional fees, and some have been succesful. And over the years have seen some of these folks be audited by the "tax man" and required to pay it back with interest.

As for your T4, contact your Pay Office as they have a list generated through RMDS which will show precisely where your T4 was sent. If needed (read exceptional circumstance), as we are passed 12 Mar, they have the ability to order replacement T4's. If you moved in the passed year and did not update your address in CCPS then it would of been sent to your old address.

I've been audited more times than you can shake a stick.... :-X  :-\

Back