• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Incentive Pay - Cadets Joining the CF

Conquistador

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a cadet who is currently in the process of joining the reserves. I came across a CATO that would allow me to recieve an incentive pay raise 180 days beforehand, providing I meet the criteria, or something of the like. I was just wondering, is this correct, and who exactly would I tell this to to make it happen? Here's the link to the CATO: http://cadets.ca/support/cato-oaic/intro_e.asp?cato=13-35

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Changed the link

The link that says this:
HTTP Error 404 - Not Found
The page requested could not be found at this location.
Websites belonging to the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces are constantly being updated. If you cannot find the page you are looking for, we recommend that you go to the national cadet site homepage

Alrighty then. Try this: http://cadets.ca/support/cato-oaic/intro_e.asp?cato=13-35

Hi there,

I'm not sure how it works now but when I joined the Military in 1988 I was granted 180 day pay incentive for Cadet time.

I had been a member of 2647 RCACC (2RCR) from 1982-87. Apparently it had some thing to do with the courses/training I had taken while I was a cadet.
-I had CL, CLI (neither one of these counted I believe);
-I had the Athletic Leadership Course in Borden (I'm not sure the cadets offer this course anymore but it was a Cadet PERI Course);
-I had the Arctic Indoctrination Course (still offered?) which consisted of 2 weeks trg in Valcartier and 4 weeks spent hiking and living in Auyuittuq National Park on Baffin Island - my instructors were some Airborne 2/3 Cdo guys I would later come to 'run into' again during my years in Petawawa. Anybody out there know the Marten Twins??
-I also served as staff at Camp Argonaut. PERI staff Sgt one year and as the WO for the Wilderness Course another year.
-I was also Gold Star and Wreath qualified and held the rank of Lt at our corps.

Kincanuks could probably give you up to date info on this and which courses qualify.  :)

PS Your first link worked for me.....

I meet all the requirements, I've been in for >3 years, and have done 2 CLI Pipes & Drums courses, an ACUC Open Water Diver course, first aid courses, etc, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

P.S. Athletic leadership and Arctic Indoc. are long gone.

Conquistador said:
I meet all the requirements, I've been in for >3 years, and have done 2 CLI Pipes & Drums courses, an ACUC Open Water Diver course, first aid courses, etc, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

P.S. Athletic leadership and Arctic Indoc. are long gone.

Geez....come in as a musician then.... I'd definately be investigating that route especially if you are qualified.Kincanuks can probably point you to the pre-reqs for that.

Too bad that Athletic Leadership is gone...they tried to get me to come in as a PERI. Also ended up getting my Reg Force BWW Course written off because of my Artic Indoctrination course. Good thing too, it was really chilly out when that course ran in Petawawa that February!!   ;D

armyvern said:
PS Your first link worked for me.....
'cause he changed it  ;D

If you meet the criteria, you will be able to achieve the next pay incentive level 180 days before any of the others who join your Reserve Unit, who do not have the same credentials.  What 180 days will break down to in Reserve Days is another question.  Just figure that you will reach your next pay incentive a half year ahead of the other guys; if you get qualified in the Trade.

Geez....come in as a musician then.... I'd definately be investigating that route especially if you are qualified

I actually was planning on coming in as a musician, if I failed the medical because of my eyesight (which I didn't  ;D). But no, being a qualified musician would just be plain boring for me. I'd rather blow stuff up than just blow.

As far as who I should ask, the recruiting officer at the RHLI told me to call him as soon as I'm done my physical tomorrow, so I think I'll mention it to him, as well as the people at the recruiting centre when I go there tomorrow, unless anybody else has any other ideas.

Conquistador said:
As far as who I should ask, the recruiting officer at the RHLI told me to call him as soon as I'm done my physical tomorrow, so I think I'll mention it to him, as well as the people at the recruiting centre when I go there tomorrow, unless anybody else has any other ideas.

You should get a copy of your Service Record from your Cadet Corps to take in with you... and a letter of recommendation from your CO wouldn't hurt either.

Too bad that Athletic Leadership is gone...they tried to get me to come in as a PERI.

Well we still have something similar. Physical Education = Recreational Training i believe, or PERT for short.

You should get a copy of your Service Record from your Cadet Corps to take in with you... and a letter of recommendation from your CO wouldn't hurt either.

I would if I could, my CO is on a vacation down in Myrtle Beach untill the middle of November, but I'll see what I can do. I had a reference letter by my deputy CO for the application process, however.

Do your research first. In some units, the bando-commandos are out there playing with the infantry too on weekend ex's. Being in the band can be a good time, it is what you make it.

I understand that, but the regiment I'm joining (RHLI) has a brass & reed band, I'm a piper. If I were to join the Argylls as a piper, it would be because I couldn't join the infantry because of my eyesight, and would be a military musician by trade. Nothing against military musicians, I love music and have respect for them because they're good at what they do, but I've wanted to be a qualified infantry soldier since I was a kid, and I meet the standards so I'm gonna go for it!

Conquistador said:
I would if I could, my CO is on a vacation down in Myrtle Beach untill the middle of November, but I'll see what I can do. I had a reference letter by my deputy CO for the application process, however.

The DCO should also be able to provide you with a copy of your Service Record.

Conquistador said:
but I've wanted to be a qualified infantry soldier since I was a kid, and I meet the standards so I'm gonna go for it!

Well, that settles that then!! Best of luck!!  :)  :salute:

Forgotten_Hero said:
Man, personally, I think thats quite bs.

Didn't qualify eh?
Oh well. That's like saying their para course shouldn't count either....even though it's the very same one the Reg F and Res F do....

Do me a favour....build a bridge...get over it.

Didn't qualify eh?
Oh well. That's like saying their para course shouldn't count either....even though it's the very same one the Reg F and Res F do....

Im sorry, but last I heard, they werent giving pay raises to those who do a para course.

nope, no pay rases for jumpers though there is the casual para allowance for when you jump

Forgotten_Hero said:
Im sorry, but last I heard, they werent giving pay raises to those who do a para course.

Never said pay raises!! Pay incentives. There is a difference. Any Res that transfers over to the Reg Force will also get his pay incentives earlier based on courses, experience etc he had while in the reserves. Except that reserves will also have time credited towards promotions as well. Cadets who have any of the qualifying courses only get the time towards their next pay incentive not towards the promotion. By the way, they may also qualify to have the Reg Force course written off as 'completed.' Such was the case with my Basic Winter Warfare etc. As was the example that I used of the Basic para course.

Back