• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In the suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munner

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wasn't exactly sure which part of the forum to post this in. If this is the wrong spot - my apologies. I was watching Jarhead the other day, and as with many military movies I heard the term "In the suck" or "welcome to the suck". What exactly do they mean by this? Welcome to the theater of operation? Welcome to combat action? Or is "the suck" actually referring to a certain place?

Just wondering if anyone knows the origins of this. Kinda a stupid question but it's been bugging me!

Thanks in advance,

to me its in the army you have the best of times and the worst of times right, so i take it as the suck being the worst of times, i dont know if thats what its sposed to mean but it seems like that to me

Ah yes, the Suck.

This is actually a geographical area and is well documented by the US government, as it has been the site of major American, Canadian, British and German military activity in recent decades.

Further information about "the suck" can be found here. http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fr.html

Freedom Fries anyone?  ;D

Most Middle Eastern cities have an outdoor market area where you can buy anything from cheap gold to unicorn poop, called The Suck.....Therefore, the troops were probably literally "in The Suck..... 8)

GO!!! said:
Ah yes, the Suck.

This is actually a geographical area and is well documented by the US government, as it has been the site of major American, Canadian, British and German military activity in recent decades.

Further information about "the suck" can be found here. http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fr.html

Freedom Fries anyone?  ;D

Grrrrr... I'd love to see what would happen if you replaced "France" with "United States".

Glorified Ape said:
Grrrrr... I'd love to see what would happen if you replaced "France" with "United States".

All of the countries around the "United States of Europe" would seem poor, liberal and militarily ineffective by comparison. They would soon become economic satellites and foster the growth of left leaning, bitter, jealous university students, despite the wealth and safety bestowed upon them by their military and economic juggernaut neighbour.

A North American France would be quickly overrun by the Mexican Army, as their military surrendered en masse a la WW2, and marched into captivity.

I would enjoy the fine wine from California made by French peasants, and vacation in Cancun regularly.

Answer your question?

GO!!! said:
All of the countries around the "United States of Europe" would seem poor, liberal and militarily ineffective by comparison. They would soon become economic satellites and foster the growth of left leaning, bitter, jealous university students, despite the wealth and safety bestowed upon them by their military and economic juggernaut neighbour.

A North American France would be quickly overrun by the Mexican Army, as their military surrendered en masse a la WW2, and marched into captivity.

I would enjoy the fine wine from California made by French peasants, and vacation in Cancun regularly.

Answer your question?

I meant on this site, given that identical statements about the US would likely draw moderator intervention. I was making an indirect point about double standards.

But, nonetheless, an interesting response.

Glorified Ape said:
I meant on this site, given that identical statements about the US would likely draw moderator intervention. I was making an indirect point about double standards. 

::)

I saw the movie last Oct at a pre screening in Ottawa, my impressions of the "suck" was the platoon that they were in "second" platoon and the moniker for it was "The Suck".

I searched and came up with this.
Opening with a (head-smacking) thud, "Jarhead," based on the real life accounts in the book by former Marine Anthony Swofford, welcomes you to "The Suck." That would be Second Platoon at Camp Pendleton, circa 1989,
http://www.blacknla.com/news/Reviews/Jarhead.asp

Kat Stevens said:
Hence the smiley sunglasses guy.... I'm SO misunderstood... :crybaby:
:p Hence why I immediatly took down my post *poof* gone  ;)

You have to be kidding, right....maybe you are misunderstood.
*poof*- gone, vanished, disappeared....

I'm dumb, but not that dumb.... ;D

I was under the impression "The Suck" was the USMC as a whole.  That movie wasn't the first time I heard it and I don't think there was another movie with the exact same section/platoon or whatever.

Talk about pride for your unit :-\.  haha

no doubt eh :p
i have a few friend in "the suck" one of them is actually a scout sniper, they both seem to like the slang term for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back