• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In Memory of Cpl Jamie Murphy

Island Ryhno

Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure if this is allowed, mods please let me know. Jamie and I were friends from birth to his death, practically inseparable for the first 20 years of our lives. I joined the reserves and ended up heading out west, he joined the RCR's and stayed east, although distance was our enemy, whenever we were withing 500kms of each we always ended up getting together for a beer or alot of beer. I thought that this quote by Samuel Johnson was an appropriate description of Jamie and indeed all soldiers whom face death on each tour..."The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Jamie and everyone like him treat troubled, often hostile people in a helping manner and in return received nothing from those people. I think he was a representation of all that is good in the military and indeed in Canada. In January of last year I lost one of my best friends but the nation gained a hero, that is a reflection of the sacrifice he made. Thank you all, remember him in your own ways. Pro Patria Jamie Brendan Murphy 1977-2004  :cdn:

Of course this is allowed and I will move it to the "mainstream" thread.
Thanks for that post.

EDIT:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2026.0.html
http://www.glanmore.org/CdaRemembrance.html

The loss of Jamie hit 1RCR hard. I was still in Meaford at the time of his death, but now we share quite a few mutual friends. Ryhno, you'll be glad to know guys still talk about him on a regular basis.

Pro Patria.

The Infanteer

He is born of the earth on the day he enlists
He is sentenced to life on the soil
to march on it, crawl on it, dig in it, sprawl on it
Sleep on it after his toil.

Be it sand, rock or ice, gravel, mud or red loam
He will fight on it, bravely will die
And the crude little cross telling men of his loss
will cry mutely to some foreign sky.

He's the tired looking man in the untidy garb
Weather beaten; foot sore with fatigue
but his spirit is strong as he marches along
With his burden for league after league.

He attacks in the fate of murderous fire
crawling forward, attacking through mud
when he breaks through the lines
over wire and mines.
On the point of his bayonet is blood.

Should you meet him untidy, begrimed and fatigued
don't indulge in unwarranted mirth
for the brave infanteer
deserves more than a sneer
He is truly the salt of the earth.

Men may argue forever on what wins their wars,
and welter in cons and pros,
and seek for their answers at history's doors,
but the man with the rifle knows.

He must stand on the ground on his own two feet,
and he's never in doubt when it's won,
if it's won he's there; if not its defeat,
that's his test when the fighting is done.

When he carries the fight, it's not with a roar,
of armored wings spitting death,
its creep and crawl on the earthen floor,
Butt down and holding his breath.

Saving his strength for the last low rush,
Grenade throw and bayonet thrust,
And the whispered prayer before he goes in,
of a man who does what he must.

And when he's attacked he can't zoom away,
when the shells fill the world with their sound,
He stays where he is, loosens his spade,
and digs his defense in the ground.

The ground isn't ours till he's there in the flesh,
not a gadget or bomb but a man;
He's the answer to theories which start afresh,
with each peace since war began.

So let the wild circle of argument rage,
on what wins a war comes and goes,
many new theories may hold the stage,
but the man with the rifle knows.

Sorry, I don't know the author.
Ghostwalk, you have found some very good friends then.

Cpl Murphy is not forgotten here in Afghanistan, nor are the other RCR and Patricia soldiers who lost their lives here. The monument on the parade square in Camp Julien reminds all who pass by it, of what sacifice has been paid here by Canadian soldiers.

Cheers

The small number of Canadian soldiers who die on Operations these days make it very hard not to think about them on a regular basis. Especially when there are lessons to be learned from every experience our forces in hostile environments face each day.
Your friend died doing what he loved and doing what we love is a measure of what living a good life is. Sometimes it's just too short.

Your friend, our Brother will not be forgotten. I'm sorry for your loss. Very kind and thoughtful words about your friend, and infanteers in general.

:cdn: :salute:

Bless the men and women who serve and give their lives for our country. They will be sorrely missed but not forgotten.  :cdn:

Murphy, Short and Beerfinger (sp?) RIP, brothers, you have given all there is to give to your country.

One year ago, today, well right now with the time difference.....  We were attacked by a suicide bomber on a routine visit to a local authority.  I remember the day like it was yesterday, as I am sure I will for the rest of my life.  Considering the circumstances of the incident, we were very lucky.  It could have been much worse.  Regardless, we lost an exemplary person that day, we all miss him and I hope that his extended family can make it through these times. 

To Jamie, Pro Patria, Airborne!

Cpl_Murphy_chillin.JPG

In rememberance. I did not know Cpl Murphy, but I knew most of Para Coy who served with him. All said he was a good man, well liked, and he was respected by many people. That, IMHO is the greatest compliment anyone can say about another soldier.

Doug,
You did well that day. Keep a smile on.

I may not have known him, but it makes me proud to serve in an organization that has people like him.  May he rest in Peace and never be forgotten :salute: :cdn:

The military has been apart of my life since birth, it's like one big family, so when there is a loss of life, It's like losing a brother or sister. They gave the ultimate sacrifice, they will always remain in our hearts.

camochick said:
The military has been apart of my life since birth, it's like one big family, so when there is a loss of life, It's like losing a brother or sister. They gave the ultimate sacrifice, they will always remain in our hearts.
I was in Warehouse for the tour when Cpl Murphy was killed.  I was on the road tpt our troops who were rotating back to Canada.  I heard it over the radio but thought only the suicide bomber was killed and the rest were wounded.  When I got back to camp was when they told me that one of our guys were killed.  The injured were brought in by the Germans, and were operated on in the German Hospital in Warehouse.  That night you could have heard a pin drop in the Cnd Annex.  Three days later, I was DAG'd to go home.  I felt happy yet guilty for being alive to do so!

pbi said:
Cpl Murphy is not forgotten here in Afghanistan, nor are the other RCR and Patricia soldiers who lost their lives here. The monument on the parade square in Camp Julien reminds all who pass by it, of what sacifice has been paid here by Canadian soldiers.

Cheers

****How long have you been stationed in Afghanistan?  I'm still a newbie here so I'm slowly getting to know everybody :-\

Back