• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I'm 42 looking for a new challenge. Is the CAF an option?

polyjester

Inactive
Reaction score
I have stumbled through life not really knowing what I wanted to do and took jobs just to survive. I would really like to learn some new skills and be part of a team and achieve genuine job satisfaction. Is there opportunities with the CAF for a person my age? I'm an avid Golfer and Skier, but not in the shape I was 20 years ago. Just being honest and looking for the same in your feedback. Thank you.

A visit to your local Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre will provide the answer to your question.

If you want to learn new skills and be a part of a team then apply now. Don't let your age stop you from joining.

I was watching basic up and there was a guy who did it and was 49.

I had a guy on my reserve dp1 who was 50.

No reason not to apply. I'd go for it.

I'm sure CF will be a very good experience for you, and joining CF is a very good way to show your love of Canada. But something like "achieve genuine job satisfaction", well I mean maybe it's better not to be too idealism.........For your age, you wont get some super star jobs: pilot, sf..................

I'm 40 and going for the reserves. Don't let age stop you if that's what you want. I've had my cfat, medical and interview. I just have to get my doctor to sign off on some paperwork and do my physical testing. The interviewer had no problem with my age.

If I listened to all the people that questioned my intentions I would never have made it through the process.  Just accepted an offer for pilot -- I'm 40.

26point2 said:
If I listened to all the people that questioned my intentions I would never have made it through the process.  Just accepted an offer for pilot -- I'm 40.
good for you man,  I wish you the best of luck, you are clear to buzz the tower

Candari said:
A visit to your local Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre will provide the answer to your question.

Do you feel like you did anyone a valuable service with that comment? Perhaps if answering questions is beneath you, you should avoid this forum. Perhaps he wants an opinion outside of a recruiter, or he is timid. Endless possibilities, really.

But yeah, I did my BMQ with the oldest person to ever finish it in Canada. I think that if she did it, anyone could.

... a 44 year old grandmother on my BMQ whopped everyone's butt. She won top female athlete, and put ever guy on my platoon to shame. Food for thought.

I have been a lurker on this forum for quite sometime and everyone says, you are never to old.  If you have that 'itch' that won't go away, I say go for it.  I am 42, but 29.  Just finished university, had a rough year with losing a job and some other personal situations.  To say the least, I was miserable in that previous job that I held for 10 years.  I always had in the back of my mind the thought of joining the CF.  I cannot find a job that I am 'qualified' for on paper (meaning I have the experience), and unhappy and unchallenged in my current position.

I am currently in the midst of joining my reserves.  I have seriously thought about going full time, but I want to get my feet wet first to see if this is a career path that I can enjoy for the next 20-25 years. 

I am working on getting back on track with my fitness.  I cannot do the basic push up requirement (female) and my running is non-existant (thank you knee surgery!).  So I have a few things that I need to work on before I am comfortable to apply.  It has been a few months and that itch is still there. 

Go for it, take that challenge and embrace it.

You sound like you have the drive and determination to make it though the training and you say you're physically fit which should serve you well. Because of your age you're going to have to work harder to prove that you deserve to be there. But the biggest issue I can see is that a lot of your CoC is going to be younger than you, for some people that's no big deal, for others it can be a deal breaker.

I'm 41 and have recently taught some older (than I am) candidates on a couple of reserve basic courses.  Send me a PM and I can have a more frank discussion with you if you're still interested.

Back