• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ignorance of civvies...

Recon_Guardsman

I too was in a similar situation with a similarly ignorant world issues class.  I joined the reserves when I was 16 and therefore to them was a child soldier.  I made it perfectly clear to them that I could not be sent overseas in my current status and that I made the choice to join, unlike those kids in africa who are forced into guerilla wars and prostitution.  However, the teacher being so left wing, wouldn't hear it.  So I told him where he could stick it or something to that effect.  In any event I acheived a higher than 90 in that class and mawked the idiot kids who thought they would get good marks if they agreed with the teacher all the time.

In any case yes there are some pretty ignorant people out there, civies and soldiers alike.  Best thing is to not give them a second thought and move on to something worthwhile.

Have a better one.

Oh and seeing as you use the handle guardsman, are you part of the Grens, the Horse or my favourite (and current unit) the Foot Guards?

To sum it up, for as long as there has been soldiers, there has infact been ignorant civvies.

Cheers,

WEs

http://www.unicef.org/emerg/index_childsoldiers.html

Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the Involvement of Children in Armed Conflict (2000)
The protocol sets 18 as the minimum age for direct participation in hostilities, for recruitment into armed groups, and for compulsory recruitment by governments. States may accept volunteers from the age of 16 but must deposit a binding declaration at the time of ratification or accession, setting out their minimum voluntary recruitment age and outlining certain safeguards for such recruitment.

Canada will not send anyone under the age of 18 on international, nor I believe, domestic operations.

Those are some good points. The problem overall is that everyone is at a different maturity level, just like someone mentioned earlier. Some people are much more mature than others. Some 16 year olds are vastly more mature than others, and even more so than some adults that im sure we've all seen. And yeah, we can all try to ignore the civvies who don't want to listen, but sometimes it just gets to you. Ah well, educate who you can and ignore who you cant I guess is the lesson here.

Anyone have anything interesting to share on all the dumb things civvies can say to us when we're in uniform? I was on ex the other day, and got asked by a civvie 'what organization are you from?' I remember one time too I was on the subway, in full uniform with my vest, small pack, and helmet (on my vest), and someone asked me if im in the army. No, im a f****** retard, I like to dress up like this.

And to Wolfe, im a Horse Guard.

When I was a GGHG cadet, I was riding the TTC in my dress uniform, coming back from a parade.  A girl asked me "do your feet look like that under your boots", then got off the bus, laughing with her friends.  I didn't get it, until I looked at how semi-clown boot-ish they looked (size 13 on, at the time, bamboo reeds).  I always remember that every time I put parade boots on now.  :)

zipperhead_cop said:
When I was a GGHG cadet, I was riding the TTC in my dress uniform, coming back from a parade.  A girl asked me "do your feet look like that under your boots", then got off the bus, laughing with her friends.  I didn't get it, until I looked at how semi-clown boot-ish they looked (size 13 on, at the time, bamboo reeds).  I always remember that every time I put parade boots on now.   :)
;D  Well....You know what Sue Johannessen would tell you about 'big feet'.    ;D

welcome to a fine regiment Guardsman, i was a member of the unit back in the 90s and believe it or not there were same problems back then.  you made a choice and it was your choice, no one but you will be able to understand the reasons why  you made the choice and a few here will understand and some have made it for the same kind of reasons. But out in the world of "long haired, dope smoking, friends of jesus" <fav quote from a former RSM> world no one will understand your choice.
for better or worse you decided to take a step to grow and to make something different of yourself, good luck with it and forget what the rest of the world tells you about being wrong or how bad of a choice you made, at least you made a choice.

As for "dumb" things civy's say (I like to call them uneducated, or even better, unaware of the facts. Hurts their feelings less), how about my responses to them (you can guess what the questions were):

"Yes, I pay taxes. Just the same as you." (Don't tell them about the tours now, they'll just get confused).

"No, I dress like this everyday, not just halloween." (he was being serious)

"Yes, we have machine-guns, but they are kept at work. We are not allowed to take them home."

"No, I've never used a rocket-launcher to hunt moose with. I don't think it would work very well."

"No, (sigh) I have never killed anyone and I hope I never have to......Yes, I think I can, if I have to." (that one usually gets them)

"I have delivered water, food, shelter, wood, clothes and safety to those in need. Sometimes, I've even done it in foreign countries." (takes them a second to catch up with that one)

"Last summer, I put out fires, delivered food to refugees, helped save a few lives and rescued two puppies. All inside Canada's borders. I got two weeks off at the end of August. That was nice."

Now, as for truly dumb questions, you'd have to ask ninerdomestic. She gets far more than I. I'll mention it to her and see if she can remember any.

Gunner said:
Canada will not send anyone under the age of 18 on international, nor I believe, domestic operations.

Times change, so I can't confirm current policies, but doing workups for SFOR Roto 1 ('96-97), we had one augmentee who was 17 during predeployment training. He went with us to do the Winnipeg Floods (DomOps, but terrific workup training).

He was subsequently on one of the last in-theatre flights because he had to wait for his 18th birthday. I don't know who set that policy, but it was "the rule" way back when.

It's right in the National Defence Act that no one below the age of 18 may deploy overseas (or, arguably, in a Dom Ops situation where there is possibility of hostilities):

Limitation on Deployment
Persons under eighteen
34. A person who is under the age of eighteen years may not be deployed by the Canadian Forces to a theatre of hostilities.

(http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/N-5/text.html)

Most of my experiences with civvies have been positive and primarily they are intrigued and curious about the military.  However, only recently I mentioned to an old friend that I was receiving my first posting soon and his reply was,"I hope you don't have to go overseas.  It's one thing to die, but it's another thing to die for nothing."  I was incredibly shocked by his ignorance and blatant disrespect for soldiers.  The fact is he knows nothing about the CF or our role in Afghanistan.  He doesn't follow the news and merely regurgitated what his artsy fartsy peers have conveyed to him. :mad:

Recorded Lad said:
I hope you pointed him in the right direction.....
.....with a spinning back-kick to the solar plexus. I loses it!  ;)

Since I tend to be colocated with left-of-centre, never held a job or seen a callus, tree-huggers1....I've learned not to get too worked up by the misinformed / uninformed  (about 80/20) rantings of some people. I'll talk with those that appear to be receptive to information, but for the majority of the bleating sheep, it's truly not worth getting bothered. Life is simply too short.

"Everyone dies; not everyone truly lives." If you can do something you enjoy, which also happens to make a positive difference in this world, you'll be miles ahead of the nay-sayers. Enjoy your military career.

On the same topic, but with a totally different slant.

Easter Sunday.  Ottawa.  Riding on OCTranpo bus to go downtown to visit the Byward Market, I watched in amazement at a Muslim woman and her kids get on the bus.  I wondered what could possibly have gone through this woman's mind, when she dressed her kids for this outing on the Public Transit System.  Two of her children were dressed rather normally for the five to ten year old age group, but the third and oldest was dressed in Camo Pants and Camo Shirt over a T-shirt.  He was dressed like your stereotypical Jihadist.  Makes you wonder about people at times.   ::)

George Wallace said:
Camo Pants and Camo Shirt over a T-shirt.  He was dressed like your stereotypical Jihadist.
I dunno, it sounds more like your typical Kingston student, highschool or Queen's.

Of course, yesterday at Queen's, I saw a girl wearing a wonderfully  ...er, scandalously short skirt...with mucklucks. Now that makes me wonder about people at times. But this clearly is off topic  ;) 

Journeyman said:
Of course, yesterday at Queen's, I saw a girl wearing a wonderfully  ...er, scandalously short skirt...

Thank you.....you just took me back to my youth.  I forgot about spring on campus, god bless the mini skirt :salute:

Journeyman said:

Seen.

I do find it ironic that so many leftie/artsy/anti-everything perma-students buy most of their clothing at army surplus.

TMM said:
Seen.

I do find it ironic that so many leftie/artsy/anti-everything perma-students buy most of their clothing at army surplus.

... or rip the label off, replacing it with "black spot" anti - branding.

Not all civvies are ignorant or unappreciative.

Leaving the gym this morning, in uniform, a thirtysomething gent stops me and says "I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you guys are doing in Afghanistan."

I thanked him and asked that he repeat those sentiments to his local Member of Parliament.

... and this was in Ottawa, at a civvy gym.

Back