• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If I apply to Naval Reserves will I have a hard time getting CLS B Army RMS jobs

Scorp

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and have read 11 pages of Reserves posts but haven't found this question yet.  I've also asked several different Reg Force friends of mine and nobody seems to be able to definitely answer this question.

I want to join the Reserves as an RMS clerk and get a full time job as soon as possible.  I'm in Kingston which is mainly an Army base but the Naval Reserve Unit is accepting applications for RMS Clerks this September.  My concern is... down the road once I'm fully trained, will I have a hard time securing a job that will most likely be in the Army element.  I've been told that there seems to be more of a hold up when you are going from one element to another but I don't know how reliable this information is.  Recruiting said "The jobs posted are for an occupation and not the element". but the Captain also said "I don't see it being a problem"  so I'm feeling like nobody really knows???  If anybody has any advice or experience with this I would appreciate some feedback.

Probably not a problem, as RMS Clerk is a "Purple Trade"; even in the Reserves. 

I can't speak for Kingston, but I know that RMS Trades (no matter the element) are in high demand in the Winnipeg/Regina/Saskatoon regions. My home unit is currently employing a Naval Reserve RMS Clerk, and it's Army-Medical.

Scorp,

There are no absolute guarantees that anyone can provide for you at this point. 

There are ongoing, Class B requirements for Naval Reserve RMS clerks at all of the NRDs across the country and at the NRCCs (Orderly Rooms) in each of the 3 Formations (MARPAC, MARLANT and NAVRES Headquarters).  There will likely be a greater need (for NRDs) in the near-medium future as our Regular Force Support Staff are posted back to the regular Force with no incoming Regular Force replacement.  These positions are then filled, where possible, by Naval Reserve RMS clerks looking for full time employment.  That is what is currently happening at my Unit.

On the other side of the coin, I currently have an army Sgt employed in my Ship's Office, on Class A, Attach Posted to the Naval Reserve.  A case of: no available naval reservists to fill the slot (at the time); an available army reservist with no spot to be filled within the militia (at the time); and, probably most important, paid for by the Navy.

Often it comes down to who has the funds.  NAVRES will not likely fund a position outside the Formation, especially if we have spots that require filling.  However, IF you wish to remain in Kingston, and IF you wish to work in an army element, and IF the army is willing to pay for you, then you can apply and NAVRES MIGHT very well support it.

A final note, Naval Reservists on long-term Class B and C service (which is about half of our TES) are subject to postings across the country in the same manner as the Regular Force.  I will be rotating out of this appointment in another year and a half or so, and will go wherever the Navy needs me – almost certainly back to a Ship (but I am a MARS Officer). So, there really is no guarantee (since you are seeking full-time employment) of remaining in Kingston beyond your first posting, should you get one in Kingston.  Your chances to remain there are more likely if, when your contract is up, there are no other RMS clerks applying for that position. 

HMCS CATARAQUI is recruiting RMS clerks not necessarily because they have a need for a Class B RMS clerk (they might – I don't know) - they are recruiting RMS clerks because our national quota is not yet full.

As for hold-up between elements – I only see this happen when there is poor (or a lack of) communication between the respective Units’ Chief Clerks.  It is a straight forward administrative process.  My CClk works closely with the CClks at the Armouries here in Toronto, so facilitating the posting of my Army Sgt was quick and straight forward.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to PM me if you need more info or clarification on any of this.  If there are any RMS clerks on the board, they will likely be able to provide you with a better, “deck-plate” perspective on their experiences.

MARS

depends on how many people apply for the jobs and how flexible you are on locations.  If there are lots of army clerks in the area wanting the job and are qualified then they will most likely get the job first as they have the army experience.  Not sure on current regulations but it used to be that jobs were only advertised within element and if not filled then advertised to the other elements. If you are flexible on location then you will have a good chance as there are lots of demand for clerks in both the res and reg f.  Mind you I wouldn't advertise your plan to the unit you are looking to join as they most likely won't take you.  I know I wouldn't recruit someone that was planning to bail out on the unit the first chance they got.

The HQ I worked for used to routinely post Class B jobs for RMS Clerks, but as stated, there are rules about who can actually apply for these jobs, in our case, governed by an LFAAD. (Land Force Atantic Directive).  We had to take an applicant from LFAA, and specifically within our Brigade first, then the other Brigade and other LFAA units, then it would go National to the Army Reserve world and THEN across to other Commands.

Now, that was by the books...sometimes, things happen otherwise.  I know I had to eliminate a very qualified Cpl for a position once, simply because the mbr belonged to the then-Comm Res.

I should probably clarify this point...  It's not that I prefer one element over the other - The Naval Reserve is looking for Clerks so I thought I could apply there and then go wherever there was a clerk job after my training was done whether it be Navy or Army.  I didn't realize it would be seen as bailing on the unit.  (I'm new to this and have lots to learn  :-[) ...    Ultimately.... I just want a full time job within the forces  whether it be Navy or Army - that doesn't matter to me as they both have things that appeal to me.  The only thing that really matters at this point is that it must be in Kingston - thats why I'm going Reserves, so I don't get posted.  If Naval Reservists are subjet to postings the same as Regular Force then I'm definately going Army.

Also, I realize there may be times in between contracts where I'm looking for a job - I'm just playing the odds - and by the sounds of it I should probably go straight to PWOR or the COMM RES to apply when they are accepting applications instead of HMCS Cataraqui.  Hmmmm.

Scorp said:
I should probably clarify this point...  It's not that I prefer one element over the other - The Naval Reserve is looking for Clerks so I thought I could apply there and then go wherever there was a clerk job after my training was done whether it be Navy or Army.  I didn't realize it would be seen as bailing on the unit.  (I'm new to this and have lots to learn  :-[) ...    Ultimately.... I just want a full time job within the forces  whether it be Navy or Army - that doesn't matter to me as they both have things that appeal to me.  The only thing that really matters at this point is that it must be in Kingston - thats why I'm going Reserves, so I don't get posted.  If Naval Reservists are subjet to postings the same as Regular Force then I'm definately going Army.

Its not necessarily seen as 'bailing'.  I was Reserve Class B, and had more than 1 unit that I belonged to.  Class B positions come up and must be filled.  Its the nature of the beast of the Reserve Force.  Of course, there is no guaruntee you WILL get a full time (Class B) position but there are lots out there! 

And..the Terms of Service for Reservist and Reg Force are not the same, whether it be Army/Navy/Air Reserve.  However, once you are Class B, you are subject to TD (Temporary Duty) inside of Canada.  But you can't be 'posted' per say.

Most decent units understand if you take full time positions. There are some folks in Reserve units, Reg and Res force, who look down on people who are looking for full time employment, but most support it and, in the end, its up to the CO of the unit, and they have to justify why you are not suitable for Class B employment if they try and stop it.

We had a clerk in our HQ that was Navy Reserve, who came to us after moving to Pet to do a Maternity backfill (her ex was posted to Pet, Reg Force).  When their relationship split up, she put her name in for a position at our HQ, won the competition and poof she was then transferred to our unit establilshment, and became an "army" clerk, meaning she had changed DEU.  It can and does happen, and most grown ups in uniform aren't childish about it.  Most.

Scorp said:
The only thing that really matters at this point is that it must be in Kingston - thats why I'm going Reserves, so I don't get posted.  If Naval Reservists are subjet to postings the same as Regular Force then I'm definately going Army.

If you are looking for full time (Class B) employment on the Naval Reserve side, then there is no guarantee of that.  You might remain in the Kingston area for a long time, but it is by no means assured.

Eye In The Sky said:
And..the Terms of Service for Reservist and Reg Force are not the same, whether it be Army/Navy/Air Reserve.  However, once you are Class B, you are subject to TD (Temporary Duty) inside of Canada.  But you can't be 'posted' per say.

i may be using incorrect terminology...but I don't think I am on TD at the moment.  When my current appointment is done, I will be forced to 'relocate' if I wish to remain on Class B or C.  There are no more Class B billets for my rank within my Formation (Naval Reserve) in Toronto.  This relocation will come with a HHT, a cost move, PLD and all that, and it will be a 3 year billet.  I always thought is was a "posting", but I have never checked the regs to find out.  I just go where the Navy tells me.  Apologize for any confusion.

Back